View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 02:48 AM
as a horse owner, IF your horse shows fear to anything, you must never avoid it, it could cost you your life, you begin intorducing the horse to it in a calm controled place, then just keep it going untill the horse doesnt see it as a threat anymore, I use the same theory on dogs, so my question is,,how do you get a dog over a fear if you avoid the object causing it?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
as a horse owner, IF your horse shows fear to anything, you must never avoid it, it could cost you your life, you begin intorducing the horse to it in a calm controled place, then just keep it going untill the horse doesnt see it as a threat anymore, I use the same theory on dogs, so my question is,,how do you get a dog over a fear if you avoid the object causing it?
Absolutely. I do the same thing.

I one rode a horse for someone who would not walk past the tack room that had temporary tarpaulin down the side. FOr every other rider it would not budge.

I got on the horse and rode straight past the problem, but without looking at the tarpaulin or focusing on it. There wasnt a problem !

I think often people focus on the problem, which then conveys to the dog, who feels your anxiety about it, which makes matters worse. The same is for horses.

People do this with their dogs that they feel are aggressive, when really the dog is conveying a fear, because the owner is tense and 'expecting' something to happen.

Often (not always) if you ignore the problem and act like it's not there, the dog again senses this and too feels like thre isnt a problem. I think CM tries to convey this, but it comes accross as 'flooding' when in fact he's ignoring problems rather than forcing a dog to face them.

I also agree about him pinning dogs. I've never seen him 'Pin' or 'Roll' a dog. Those are very difficult manoeveurs to perform, but what he does is he 'asks' the dog to peacefully submit, which they do. That isnt cruel, he asks, he gets.

I'm sorry but if he 'Rolled' and 'Pinned', theres no way he could roll or pin a Malamute if he wanted to (and he has a couple in his pack). They need persuasion, which he obviously succeeds at without cruelty. You cannot physically punish a Malamute, it would not work, so he must do something right to have peace and harmony with all the dogs in his pack. You dont get that out of making dogs fearful.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2007, 05:07 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
yes - systematic desensitization is good, and is considered effective.
but that is not the same as flooding - the jury is out on flooding as a effective learning technique.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:39 AM
zoeybeau1: I'm probably being thick, but I don't understand what you're trying to say. I don't remember mentioning about dogs living for their next meal, or not. My boy couldn't care less about food, he enoyed his BARF diet but he enjoyed far more going for walks, chasing rabbits and being with his pack - us, my husband and I, the alpha male and alpha female. I couldn't agree with you more about dogs pining - this is because they have been separated from their human pack, not because they miss the comforts of their own home. They are the opposite to cats in this respect. As long as a dog is with his human pack, he will be happy. He won't care if he sleeping rough with them in the middle of a field in winter, as long as his humans are with him.

I would never ever have been able to leave my dog with anyone, even for a day. He came absolutely everywhere with us - even in the loo with me, else he would scratch the door and whine. I guess his pack instinct was particularly strong being a husky/mal cross, and therefore nearer to the wolf than, say, a labrador.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:46 AM
I agree these methods are outdated, however the word punishment doesn't have to be unspoken.... I like to use 'consequence' instead.
A good example is what puppy did yesterday. I asked everyone to 'wait' while I opened the jeep.... puppy jumped out. So I put him back in while everyone else got out and walked away out of sight for a min. I went back and opened the door, he waited perfectly until I said my release. So indeed he was punished, there was a consequence for offering the wrong behaviour.
There are lots of different ways to train, while throwing things and smacking might make the dog stop in his tracks, in my experience brute force just dimishes the relationship between dog and handler.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Well, I have to say I am biased re CM from the start, because I find him and his accent absolutely gorgeous (despite the fact I would probably tower over because he really is little - as my old mum would say, we're all the same lying down! but I digress).

Sex aside, I have no problem at all with CM's methods. Whereas I will accept, as doubtless he would, that his firm methods would not work with every dog, I cannot accept that a man, and a very small man at that, can maintain control over a pack of 46 dogs, many of whom are known fighting breeds such as pitbulls, using cruel methods. You couldn't manage this by being cruel, nor could you manage it by showing weakness. By saying "oh dear, that poor pitbull had a terrible previous life. He was kicked, abused, made to fight, suffered terrible injuries, and is now being tenderly nurtured by me gradually and very gently because he is traumatised". If CM did this, he would very likely end up dead. With a red zone dog, you need to go in as Boss, claim your space and get that dog balanced as quickly as you can ... for the dog's sake, else he will have to be destroyed.

Any dog can be a potential killer. By using tough but fair methods, CM rehabilitates dogs and more importantly their owners, to create a well balanced dog and an owner who knows his/her place ... as pack leader, not as mummy or daddy. These dogs are animals, they are not our children, and they themselves are far happier being treated as such. They do not want the burden and responsibility of having to be boss because their owners are too drippy to be so. There could not be a greater dog lover than myself hardly in the whole world, but I cannot accept or see that Cesar is anything but a man who loves dogs and has a unique talent in being able to read their body language and get through to them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I too am a rider and I absolutely agree that with horses too - who of course are a completely different species from dogs, being herbivores and flight animals - benefit from firm handling and a refusal for them to be allowed to shy or bolt at a rattling tarpaulin. You ride that horse up to that tarpaulin and you make him walk calmly past. If he does so, he is rewarded with a pat and lavish praise, if he does not, you take him back and start again. Horses allow us to ride them because they think that we are stronger and superior to them, not because they love us and think we are wonderful. They also accept us on their backs because we look after them, feed them and give them shelter. They enjoy being ridden, else believe me they would not allow you on their backs, but to start with before they have been broken in, it must be very alarming for them.

Densensitising dogs in exactly the same way cannot be cruel, it is being a responsible dog owner.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Thats not what he does though - he forces dogs in to confrontational situations which they can`t cope with but instead of letting them meet those situations in a way to desensitise them he uses force and pain so that the situation they fear is over-ridden by pain. It does`nt cure their fear as he claims, it just makes them too afraid to show that fear because it equals physical pain from the choker he uses in such a cruel way.
He either knows that he is just masking things but keeps quiet so as too fool people into thinking he`s worked a miracle, or he really does`nt have a clue about what he is actually causing.

Here`s what is being said by respected people in the dog behaviour world.

By Jean Donaldson, Director of The SF/SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers

http://www.urbandawgs.com/divided_profession.html

QUOTES FROM EXPERTS including

“Cesar Millan's methods are based on flooding and punishment. The results, though immediate, will be only transitory. His methods are misguided, outmoded, in some cases dangerous, and often inhumane. You would not want to be a dog under his sphere of influence. The sad thing is that the public does not recognize the error of his ways. My college thinks it is a travesty. We’ve written to National Geographic Channel and told them they have put dog training back 20 years.”
Dr. Nicholas Dodman - Professor and Head, Section of Animal Behavior
Director of Behavior Clinic, Tufts University - Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

“Practices such as physically confronting aggressive dogs and using of choke collars for fearful dogs are outrageous by even the most diluted dog training standards. A profession that has been making steady gains in its professionalism, technical sophistication and humane standards has been greatly set back. I have long been deeply troubled by the popularity of Mr. Millan as so many will emulate him. To co-opt a word like ‘whispering’ for arcane, violent and technically unsound practice is unconscionable.”
Jean Donaldson, The San Francisco SPCA-Director of The Academy for Dog Trainers

"A number of qualified professionals have voiced concern for the welfare of pet dogs that experience the strong corrections administered by Mr. Millan. My concerns are based on his inappropriateness, inaccurate statements, and complete fabrications of explanations for dog behavior. His ideas, especially those about “dominance”, are completely disconnected from the sciences of ethology and animal learning, which are our best hope for understanding and training our dogs and meeting their behavioral needs. Many of the techniques he encourages the public to try are dangerous, and not good for dogs or our relationships with them ."
Dr. Suzanne Hetts, Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist
Co-owner of Animal Behavior Associates, Inc., Littleton, CO

"On his TV show, the main method Millan uses for aggression is aversives (leash jerks, kicks, snaps of the hand against the neck, and restraint, among others) applied non contingently. The aversives are non contingent because they are so frequent that they're not connected to any particular behavior on the part of the dog—the dog gets popped pretty much constantly. This results in a state called learned helplessness, which means the animal hunkers down and tries to do as little as possible. This is what Millan calls "calm submission." It's exactly the same thing you see in a rat in a Skinner box that is subjected to intermittent shocks it can do nothing to avoid. This can happen quite fast, by the way, shall we say in ten minutes? The dangers to the dog are obvious, ranging from chronic stress to exacerbating the aggression, i.e., some dogs fight back when attacked. This latter is the simplest reason that aversives are a bad idea in treating aggression. Even used technically correctly as positive punishment for specific behaviors like growling and snarling, aversives do nothing to change the underlying fear or hostility, so the best you can hope for, in the words of famed vet and behaviorist, Ian Dunbar, is "removing the ticker from the time bomb." Thus such methods substantially increase the risk to humans of getting bitten."
Janis Bradley, Instructor at The San Franciso SPCA Academy for Dog Trainers
Author of the book, "Dogs Bite"

Excerpt of letter from Lisa Laney, Dip. DTBC, CPDT, CBC to National Geographic before airing “The Dog Whisperer”:
“The intended program depicts aversive and abusive training methods - treatment for some serious anxiety and fear based issues - being administered by an individual with no formal education whatsoever in canine behavioral sciences. The "results" that are shown are more than likely not long lasting changes, but the result of learned helplessness, or fatigue, neither of which impact behavior to any significant long term degree - at least not in a good way. For those of us who are pioneering the effort to end the ignorance that drives the cruel treatment administered upon our canine companions, it is disappointing to see that this programming will reach the masses - especially on the NG Channel. The ignorance that this program perpetuates will give equally ignorant people the green light to subject their dogs to abuse. In turn these dogs will react even more defensively, will bite more people - and end up dead.”

"I have serious concerns because his methods are often intimidating rather than motivating. On TV, the dogs do comply but often they're being forced to - you can tell by their body language: tail down, mouth closed, ears back, eyes dilated... I argue that motivating leadership is far more effective than leading through intimidation."
Steve Dale
He's certified as a Behavior Consultant by the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants, and the recipient of many awards including the prestigious AVMA Humane Award.

Noooo, thats just not true, not true at all. Thats what is so completely misunderstood about the old debunked dominance theory [ debunked by one of the original leading proponants of it who then realised he had been seeing it all wrong himself ].

Pack `leadership` in multidog households is often fluid, and even when its not, the dog which appears to be the `boss` through show of force or aggression is actually the one which is the least confident and not able to take a leadership role. The quieter more tolerant dogs are the ones which usually are the strongest as far as the rest of the pack are concerned, they can just give a `look` and its enough to make a more physically strong dog within a `pack` back off.

Which just proves how little he understands pack orientation

He`s talking out of his posterior. Dogs do not recognise humans as pack leaders, it does`nt work that way. Milan thinks pack leader = brawn or ability to inflict force through pain.
Thats not what makes a pack leader [ even if dogs did suddenly change to recognise a human as a pack leader which they wont, they know we are a different species ], all his methods are about is cowardice, he`s too gutless to throw away his force / pain inflicting tools and actually learn how to motivate and earn a dogs genuine freely given respect.

Throwing away his book would be a good start to ending your confusion imo
Dogs are dogs. Humans are humans. A human can never truly make themselves a dogs `boss`, they can think they can through force or intimidation, they can fool themselves about it, but their dog will never believe nor accept it where it matters - in the dogs soul

I have dogs who would have torn him apart if he`d tried his stuff on them, and even if he somehow managed to dodge their teeth and make them compliant, he would never in a million years have what I have with them - freely given trust and respect which goes both ways.

There have been a few already

I don`t think people are forgetting the other book and methods you mentioned, many have given their opinions on that one too and are not mixing up the two, its just that every time Milan is mentioned, human hackles let alone canine ones go up and bristle because many of us have seen right through his twaddle and cruelty - others who have`nt yet will hopefully get there in the end sooner or later [ sounds like you already have though ]
What a fabulous post,I know alot of Non Doggy people that have caught his show & think he is fabulous,whereas all the serious doggy people i know think hes a joke.
If thats what people have to resort to to get their dogs to behave ...........

Also exercising to the point of exhaustion is not my idea of calming a dog down
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I too am a rider and I absolutely agree that with horses too - who of course are a completely different species from dogs, being herbivores and flight animals - benefit from firm handling and a refusal for them to be allowed to shy or bolt at a rattling tarpaulin. You ride that horse up to that tarpaulin and you make him walk calmly past. If he does so, he is rewarded with a pat and lavish praise, if he does not, you take him back and start again. Horses allow us to ride them because they think that we are stronger and superior to them, not because they love us and think we are wonderful. They also accept us on their backs because we look after them, feed them and give them shelter. They enjoy being ridden, else believe me they would not allow you on their backs, but to start with before they have been broken in, it must be very alarming for them.

Densensitising dogs in exactly the same way cannot be cruel, it is being a responsible dog owner.
Yes but look at the different methods for backing, CM is NO monty roberts, & dogs Are not Horses.
If the horse was a dog who didnt want to face the Tarapline what would CM do Stick is "collar" around its neck & force it ,by force, to face its fear until it gave in, Id actually like him to try his methods on a horse or a cat
Good dog training is all about Trust,not fear or pure submission.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't think anyone here has suggested that a dog should avoid an object that causes it fear, rather that it should be gradually habituated to the object so that it becomes desensitised to it over a period of time.

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
dogs Are not Horses.
If the horse was a dog who didnt want to face the Tarapline what would CM do Stick is "collar" around its neck & force it ,by force, to face its fear until it gave in, Id actually like him to try his methods on a horse or a cat
Good dog training is all about Trust,not fear or pure submission.
I am very much in agreement with the posts of both Patch and Mishflynn forcing a dog to do/face something it is afraid of is counterproductive, it breaks the bond of trust between dog and owner and force is often only a temporary solution that causes problems later.

Take the event Hammer describes above ,
http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=43

next time that dog sees or hears clippers it may behave unpredictably particularly if they are in the hands of a person other than the one who forced it into submission, the dog could even bite someone if they tried to restrain it . How much better it would have been to teach the dog to accept the clippers gradually, all it takes is a little patience.

The other thing is 'association' dogs often associate similar sounds/objects /scents with circumstances that previously caused pain or fear, this can make them behave irrationally,to run off or to bite . I think association may be one reason dogs bite inexplicably.
Page 7 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »