25-07-2012, 03:55 PM
So much depends on the trainer.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yes I do feel that, because I know my dogs better than anyone else!!
Yes you do, but do you know how to train with treats?
Wolves, tigers, goldfish, mice, goats, primates, cats and horses (and men and children) have been trained with treats
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
So much depends on the trainer.

rune
absolutely, which is why I am blaming myself for my frailties
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

I don't think you can "phase out" the food-based reward, can you? With my boys, that would well p. them off, to the point where they would sulk and take the ball away. I am not sure that's fair.
Yes you can, it is quite simple, we are not allowed to carry food or toys onto the competition field and yet our dogs perform extremely well there!

You are not permitted to give food under test in the KCGCDS either.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Really can't see the weight issue with titbits. I have never had a problem. In fact I slimmed Benj down from 36kgs to 22kgs and used treats for training! So please don't tell me titbits as rewards put weight on---owners not understanding how to manage their dogs food puts weight on dogs.

rune
]

There is no issue with using titbits re weight, especially if your dogs are on a learn to earn regime where all food comes via your hand or toys etc rather than just mindlessly put in a bowl for free.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes you do, but do you know how to train with treats?
Wolves, tigers, goldfish, mice, goats, primates, cats and horses (and men and children) have been trained with treats
But as I have said the problem lies with ME ... I don't want to, because I know that I will let the side down!!

I don't know why I am unable to make you understand ... I know my dogs better than anyone, and I know that I would let them down
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
That's an odd way of looking at it.

There is no need to use food ALL the time.

My dogs do not work as well for praise because I do use it ALL the time, therefore their reactions are not as good if I am rewarding them with the boring, everyday, get it when I want, fuss.

They will do things, but not 'well'. (Probably well enough for general everyday stuff, but not the reaction time I want from them)

Removing a training aid will not 'Undo' all the work you have done so far....I am not going down the unmentionable route - but, if that were the case, you would have already undone all the work you have done by removing your other training aids.
Think about it logically
Yes and there is a hierarchy of rewards for my dogs ie toy, food, praise, body rub, swim, etc etc

And of course there is no problem with the time between correct behaviour being marked and the reinforcer so it is never an issue.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:12 PM
<<But as I have said the problem lies with ME ... I don't want to, because I know that I will let the side down!!

I don't know why I am unable to make you understand ... I know my dogs better than anyone, and I know that I would let them down >>>

Hmmmmm......

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Gnasher, I think you need to call the news and inform them that you own the only dogs on the planet that are immune to the laws of learning!
I am afraid I would have to agree.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes you can, it is quite simple, we are not allowed to carry food or toys onto the competition field and yet our dogs perform extremely well there!

You are not permitted to give food under test in the KCGCDS either.
This is absolutely right. I have done the KCGCDS with all my dogs so far and always used treats at first to teach the behaviour then phased them out. I used treat to teach Rio how to show but I don't bait her in the ring as she'll hold her ears forward for food, which is not what I want. I've used treats to teach Keiko the watch command when she was beginning to get reactive on lead, now I don't need to have treats all the time, sometimes she gets one, sometimes she gets a fuss, but she always performs.
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >