Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I'm not saying it''s wrong - of course there are many ways to skin a cat....just wondering why food rewards would be seen as a bad thing.
For the reasons I outlined and because old school training involves "modelling" ie placing/pushing/positioning the dog with your hands (thereby creating the opposition reflex) rather than luring, capturing or marking the behaviour.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Because they think it makes the dog spit out the dummy/game before bringing it tenderly to hand.

On the course I ran on Sunday an attendee had the same school of thought until I demonstrated how using food CORRECTLY does not ipso facto lead to this, any more than any other methods of training does.

As in all methods, it is the execution of the training that is key.
Ah thanks. I had just got me thinking. I wouldn't consider not using food with my less than biddable breeds!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Because they think it makes the dog spit out the dummy/game before bringing it tenderly to hand.

On the course I ran on Sunday an attendee had the same school of thought until I demonstrated how using food CORRECTLY does not ipso facto lead to this, any more than any other methods of training does.

As in all methods, it is the execution of the training that is key.
The one I get a lot, is that teaching the dog to tug means that they will no longer have a soft mouth.

....oh and the ever classic, cannot teach it to sit because it will no longer be able to stand!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
The one I get a lot, is that teaching the dog to tug means that they will no longer have a soft mouth.

....oh and the ever classic, cannot teach it to sit because it will no longer be able to stand!
Yes, those too.

I think it is a shame as those owners are only regurgitating the old wives tales they have been fed by trainers.

So basically they are only reflecting poor practice/information.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Im a wicked dog owner, I never train with treats..... but do praise praise praise

These are not food motivated due to lack of treats so they are not used to it, but they do get a bonio from time to time, not because I am training but more because I want them to have one.

However I have to admit I not a great believer in treats ''food'' wise'' never have been I like my dogs to listen to my voice change, they know when they have achieved by the delighted voice and they know when not to do something by my firm voice.
I personally prefer them trained this way
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Yes I was told not to teach mine to sit because they show dogs. Turned out to be nonsense - they are more than capable of learning multiple commands, and also know that the show lead is a signal for what they have been trained to do in that scenario.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:52 AM
I think it depends a lot on the dog.

I use whatever works. The majority of Enyas training as a pup was done with toys as she had a funny tummy for a while.

Some dogs just won't take food.

Unless you are going to wait for the behaviours to happen, I would imagine there is a bit more 'hands on' without using a lure.

Possibly - if these guys are going to be Gundogs, they are kenneled a lot? I have observed that dogs who have that bit less human contact are much more willing to work for it.

My dogs are with me pretty much 24/7 so I am not as interesting to them as I would be if they saw me for maybe 4 hours a day.
Yes, I have seen people recomend that - even for just agility or HWtM dogs so your attention is a big amazing rewarding thing. Personally I dont like that, I like my dogs to be able to have chilled down time with me and not see every sec with me as 'working' even if I have to try and be more interesting when I am working them

If they are of the school of thought that "modelling" dogs into position is the preferred mode of training, then I very much doubt food would be on the agenda.......
Yes very true
I also always worry a little when people say 'my dogs work only for praise' i am sure a few do, but more often the praise means the end of the shoving and yanking so actually they are working for the end of the punishemnts

imo much better to have a whole load of rewards - praise, petting, food, great food, balls, tuggy, chase games, getting to do more work/tricks/agility, going to chase the birds, playing with another dog

and tbh with all dogs I have worked with praise is the lowest level rewaed in the list of rewards for the dog
marleysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Why not just cut his food down and use that for training?
I tried that but he was fussy with it, i dont think he was seeing it as a treat because he has it everyday, i guess its like me giving the kids their veg as a treat instead of sweets lol!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by marleysmum View Post
I tried that but he was fussy with it, i dont think he was seeing it as a treat because he has it everyday, i guess its like me giving the kids their veg as a treat instead of sweets lol!
Then just cut his meals down.
marleysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Then just cut his meals down.
tried that too! he doesnt see it as a treat unless its something super scrummy and his complete does not fit his criteria when it comes to training treats lol, anyways using the praise and less treats is working and doing better for the podge so im sticking with that, i think iv spoilt him too much
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »