View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:01 PM
She's had a go at Gelert this morning. Seems the KC has reared its ugly head again and he's been snorting a bit, and apparently she doesn't like that any more even though she didn't react when he first was doing it a couple of weeks ago
So they were both in the garden, he started to snort and she went for him. More noise than anything but not good. Had to scruff her again to get her to stop. She's been fine with him since, her usual sweet self. Gelert doesn't seem put out either. But I can't leave them alone for a second now in case he coughs again (or does something else that might trigger her). I am afraid she is on thin ice now. I know it's early days and I desperately want this to work so I'm not throwing in the towel as yet but I am worried.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Awwww, good luck, I'm sure you'll be keeping on top of her from now on, and I know how exasperating this must be let alone stressful.

I met a lady this morning who usually has 2 bulldogs, but today she only had the one so I asked her where the other one was. Sadly she said, he had to go back, because he had attacked her girlie. She then went on to tell me he was getting pretty much a nightmare to take out coz he always had to be onlead otherwise he'd want to eat every other dog he came across, which she coped with up until he went for her cherished girl. She said the bulldog rescue centre told her he would do fine on a one to one single dog household, which he probably will. Some you can win, some you can't, but let's hope you can win your battle. All the best with her.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
hope things settle down with them. i kept tiger & poppy seperate after poppy had her operation because usually they're best friends but every now & then tiger will go for poppy & i thought tiger would likely lick poppys wound then possibly try to tak her stitches out which could cause a fight. last time tiger went for poppy was beginning of this year & time before must have been at least a year before that. so hopefully it'll be similar with your dogs, something that happens very rarely. my 2 aren't left together when theirs no one home because i know although it's unlikely that tiger would attack poppy if she did & their was no one here to stop them it could well continue until one of them was dead
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you both x I have heard all about the rescue dog honeymoon period but I didn't really anticipate this...silly of me. 99% of the time she is fine, more than fine, which is why I really don't want to give up on her.

I haven't been leaving them alone together while I'm out but I have been happy to leave them together behind a dog gate while I'm busy doing other things (still keeping an eye and an ear on them). Right now I daren't even do that. But I can manage that atm.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:19 PM
How worrying for you. Might be worth a health check for her just incase? Could be an underlying issue that the stress of rehoming has flared up?
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
I was planning for her to have a once over by our vet anyway, so I will make an appointment. She is supposed to be going back to the dogs' home to be spayed at some point soon but I wanted her to have a check up first. I will mention all this to him.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems, I've had a similar incident do I know how awful you must feel. Accident or not, you still feel terrible! Have you contacted the rescue centre you got her from? They might be able to offer you some behavioural support. I'd play it safe for now (muzzle, harness, lead and separating her and Gelert when alone) and try and get a proper behavioural assessment to find out the full extent of her problems. You can't really tackle it until you know what's going on.

Good luck and as Whichpets said ...welcome to Club Asbo
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry to read this, I've been where you've been as Anton's a rescue shepherd too. In the first few weeks we had him, he was pretty much a perfect dog, seemed to like people and other dogs. Unfortunately, he began to exhibit reactive behaviour towards dogs (though, he proved he would just run away rather than attack when next door's dog cleared the fence and attacked him) and, more worryingly, aggressive behaviour towards strangers (of course, Gracie may not have this, as dog aggro and human aggro aren't generally linked).

You're being sensibly vigilant with Gracie at the moment, if she comes out of the vet check clear then it may be an existing behavioural problem that she's not shown during the 'honeymoon period'.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems, I've had a similar incident do I know how awful you must feel. Accident or not, you still feel terrible! Have you contacted the rescue centre you got her from? They might be able to offer you some behavioural support. I'd play it safe for now (muzzle, harness, lead and separating her and Gelert when alone) and try and get a proper behavioural assessment to find out the full extent of her problems. You can't really tackle it until you know what's going on.

Good luck and as Whichpets said ...welcome to Club Asbo
The dogs' home where she's from is the council pound (albeit a very good one) in all but name. I'm not sure if they have the resources to offer behavioural assistance, but I suppose I could try and find out.
Club Asbo... a very exclusive society...don't know whether to laugh or cry lol.

Originally Posted by Kiing View Post
Sorry to read this, I've been where you've been as Anton's a rescue shepherd too. In the first few weeks we had him, he was pretty much a perfect dog, seemed to like people and other dogs. Unfortunately, he began to exhibit reactive behaviour towards dogs (though, he proved he would just run away rather than attack when next door's dog cleared the fence and attacked him) and, more worryingly, aggressive behaviour towards strangers (of course, Gracie may not have this, as dog aggro and human aggro aren't generally linked).

You're being sensibly vigilant with Gracie at the moment, if she comes out of the vet check clear then it may be an existing behavioural problem that she's not shown during the 'honeymoon period'.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I should have know I was setting myself up for a fall, singing Gracie's praises so soon...bless her. I am really very fond of this dog and don't want to fail her
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
sorry to hear about the incident with Gelert.
Don't have any advice, but hope you work it out x
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >