Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2012, 10:42 PM

Horrible incident

To get straight to the point, Gracie's just attacked another dog. It was my own stupid fault, she slipped her collar - it's a half check precisely so she wouldn't (shouldn't) be able to slip it, but I didn't want it to choke her when it tightened so had it fitted as such, evidently it was too loose. So so ****ing stupid of me.
Walking home this evening with both dogs (again, stupid), woman who I vaguely know on opposite pavement walking towards us with her bearded collie, Gracie got loose and went for him. Not a ripping your throat out sort of attack but bad nonetheless. I grabbed her by the scruff but she wriggled free and went for him again, only for a few seconds before I could get her I asked the woman if her dog was ok but she just told me to go.
Absolutely ****ing gutted, not to mention wracked with guilt. Don't know what's going to happen now.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2012, 11:42 PM
these things happen, the important thing is that you make sure it doesn't happen again. the owner was probably scared & furious, i know i get angry when loose dogs come over to my DA dog & thats friendly dogs who are just ignoring their owners.
you didn't purposefully allow your dog loose though so hopefully once she's calmed down she'll realise it was just an accident.
what i would do is if she walks her dogs same place, same time every day i would go out without a dog tomorrow & apologise & explain you didn't think he could slip his collar. ask if her dogs ok & have a think tonight about what you can do so this doen't happen again then tell her what you are going to do so it can't happen again.
my younger dog who is really friendly with other dogs but will try to say hello even to dogs that are growling at her has a harness but she has managed to wriggle out of it before even though its as tight as it'll go with me only just able to fasten it! so i have double ended lead one end clipped onto harness & one end to collar so if she climbs out of her harness i still have her by her collar
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you for being supportive. I am kicking myself (understatement) for allowing this to happen. She is normally on a harness but today I didn't use it Seriously kicking myself. I've just ordered her a muzzle
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2012, 12:13 AM
it's one of those things that you don't think about it happening until it does. i didn't think poppy could climb out of her harness until she did it & she did it just outside a pub right next to the road. if she had run into the road instead of up to another dog & a car had come round the corner she'd have been splattered. if the dog she said hello to wasn't friendly she could've been hurt or possibly killed. thankfully nothing serious happened, i got her back quick & ordered a double ended lead soon as i got home. the harness is more comfortable for her & she walks better on that but if she wriggles out of it i know i still have her by her collar

my DA dog is just on an ordinary lead with ordinary collar. i do check the collar regularly to make sure it's still strong because if it snapped when she was trying to go after a dog things could get really nasty especially seen as now my legs don't function very well i can't exactly run over to grab her. i don't use a muzzle on her because their are a few nasty farm dogs around here & if one attacks her (so far i've scared them off yelling at them) i would hate for her not to be able to defend herself especially seen as i wouldn't be able to do much except try to run into the dog with the powerchair
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2012, 06:38 AM
I use a trixie loop muzzle on Ben as after an incident with an agressive dog it has made him a bit defensive.I use it as a halti as well.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 06:43 AM
It's happened and you are taking full responsibility and making sure it doesn't happen again. Other than tracking down the woman to apologise and check there were no injuries/vet fees there is nothing else you can do. It must have been horrible and scary for all concerned, but don't beat yourself up. It's what you do next that is more important.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 07:55 AM
I agree with what has already been said ... accidents happen. You are doing the responsible thing by now ensuring something like this doesn't happen again.

If you know the other woman, I would also go and see her without your dogs and apologise again, check her dog is ok and tell her you won't let it happen again.

Hugs - it is horrid when something like this happens.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

01-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear about this.

The reply I gave here might help

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=170796

Also, when you are out pavement / leash walking, move to the side and give lots of distance. Sounds like your dog has became quite reactive so I would put them in a Down and treat them for paying attention to you. If they react at all then turn the opposite way.

You might want to consider some sort of harness if your collar is not secure enough, or a better fitting collar

HTH
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
A basket muzzle is what I use in tight situations.
Also - have a look at these links?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behavior-Adj.../dp/1617810509
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwf53xwyndw
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2012, 08:05 AM
I've made it into double figures being rushed with sound effects by German Shepherds. It's turned out OK with a bit of human intervention.

Slipped collar is a slipped collar. If I'd been sent on a vet trip - if the other dog was actively trying to do damage - I'd be miffed the owner didn't use a muzzle.
Otherwise for me it's one of those (rare) things.

All you can do is apologise & not make the same mistake again.
"Just Go " was probably sensible advice.

How about training classes for a bit of one to one get to know you time?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »