Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Andy1 View Post
How do you stop a dog from needing a wee and/or poo though?

I feel it would be cruel to lock her in the house, but maybe we need to do it.
Well how long do you need to leave her for? how frequently does she need to toilet?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:04 PM
How do you stop a dog from needing a wee and/or poo though?

I feel it would be cruel to lock her in the house, but maybe we need to do it.
There are dogwalkers who will just do 5-10 minute visits for pee breaks and a quick play in the garden if you don't want her actually taken out for a walk. Every once in a while, my two are left for a full day (normally it's only half a day due to everyone's work patterns) and I will drive home in my lunchbreak midday and spend 5-10 minutes with them, letting them pee, stretch their legs, have a play, then they're back indoors until I get home a few hours later. They cope fine with this arrangement and many other dogs do too. It may take a little while for her to adjust, but as said, it's a good idea to prepare her for this now while you have the time, rather than waiting until you get a job and suddenly springing a change of routine on her.
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well how long do you need to leave her for? how frequently does she need to toilet?
She seems to need a wee every couple of hours and does a poo 4 times a day.

The period of time I leave her for at the moment of from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I work from home so I'm usually around for her. However, I have just been made redundant and need to look for a new job. This new job might not be working from home she might have to be alone for 6 or 7 hours.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I would rather risk walking into mess but know she's safe than leave her outside as I would look upon the note as a threat and worry what steps they may take. A decent person would have come to you and talked things through.
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
There are dogwalkers who will just do 5-10 minute visits for pee breaks and a quick play in the garden if you don't want her actually taken out for a walk. Every once in a while, my two are left for a full day (normally it's only half a day due to everyone's work patterns) and I will drive home in my lunchbreak midday and spend 5-10 minutes with them, letting them pee, stretch their legs, have a play, then they're back indoors until I get home a few hours later. They cope fine with this arrangement and many other dogs do too. It may take a little while for her to adjust, but as said, it's a good idea to prepare her for this now while you have the time, rather than waiting until you get a job and suddenly springing a change of routine on her.
That's not a bad idea, thanks.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Just wanted to add I would also be careful leaving a dog unattended in the garden. A friend of mine had 2 dogs that barked, a few weeks after receiving a nasty letter similar to yours, her dogs were poisoned and ended up being hosiptalised for about 4 days. Thankfully they recovered but there are some nasty people about. Not everyone loves dogs!

I would try to get your dog to get used to being indoors gradually for longer periods of time. If you have a neighbor or dog walker that could let them out mid-day that would be ideal.
If you are going to keep her outside, I could only think of desensitizing her to the sound of people passing...

And pics of the newfie please
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Just wanted to add I would also be careful leaving a dog unattended in the garden. A friend of mine had 2 dogs that barked, a few weeks after receiving a nasty letter similar to yours, her dogs were poisoned and ended up being hosiptalised for about 4 days. Thankfully they recovered but there are some nasty people about. Not everyone loves dogs!

I would try to get your dog to get used to being indoors gradually for longer periods of time. If you have a neighbor or dog walker that could let them out mid-day that would be ideal.
If you are going to keep her outside, I could only think of desensitizing her to the sound of people passing...

And pics of the newfie please
We can ask our direct neighbour who has a jack russel to do this. We are fairly sure it's not from them as they are slightly obsessed with our dog. We could offer them a bit of money to do this (once I have a job again).

Pics in a few mins
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
She seems to need a wee every couple of hours and does a poo 4 times a day.

The period of time I leave her for at the moment of from 5 minutes to a couple of hours.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I work from home so I'm usually around for her. However, I have just been made redundant and need to look for a new job. This new job might not be working from home she might have to be alone for 6 or 7 hours.
Is all that toileting on walks or just when she is just mooching around the house? to be honest, peeing every few hours and pooing 4 times a day does sound like quite a lot. I can't imagine she is an active dog either, based on the Newfies I know?? because generally speaking the bladder/bowels are stimulated by movement, so bouncy active dogs tend to toilet more than sedate ones.

If you are going to be working 6-7 hours, I'd expect the average adult dog to be absolutely fine with having one toilet break in the middle of that time period.
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Some pics from the past 18 months:

I would kill anyone who hurts my baby girl
Andy1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Is all that toileting on walks or just when she is just mooching around the house? to be honest, peeing every few hours and pooing 4 times a day does sound like quite a lot. I can't imagine she is an active dog either, based on the Newfies I know?? because generally speaking the bladder/bowels are stimulated by movement, so bouncy active dogs tend to toilet more than sedate ones.

If you are going to be working 6-7 hours, I'd expect the average adult dog to be absolutely fine with having one toilet break in the middle of that time period.
Bouncy and active? Yep, this newfie is very much like that.

We will be asking our friendly neighbour to let her out for a wee/poo break.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »