Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I tried the training halti - may have to try the infin8 though - it looks better designed.

I keep everything, I have a few halti's and gave up on the ones that I keep buying, so with the oldest halti we had I stuck it on Benjie and tried to make modifications - I failed and it ended up in the bin - but we have a couple more somewhere so no matter.

He isn't lungey as such - he just wants to meet everything! I keep (empty) threatening him that he'll meet my boot if he carries on it doesn't seem to do anything. We took them out last night, Louie on the BDHC and it's clear that my OH keeps up no consistency at all, I tried to get Louie to sit close to me on the side of the road - he laid down and my OH not waiting for me taking the other two ahead was making life so much more difficult and then said "just leave it and come on" I had a huge go at him because now I realise why none of my dogs know heel when I've spent months and with Sadie years teaching them to walk by my side - Sadie did know it offlead too. I spent months with Benjie also. And when they're all together - he lets them pull. And even better he takes them on at least 2 walks a day and just doesn't see a problem.

So it's not really an equipment issue - it's a useless, doesn't listen at training class or to me, OH issue. Hopefully basic training will change him for the better and he'll listen to me more.

I've made him take the older two out today - because I know that when Benjie reacts Sadie won't and Louie can then get some one to one.

And I'm going with him to make sure he does it properly - I'm tired, frustrated and upset at everything and he may be leaving this Sunday but I've been telling him for months how to walk Louie, how to stop him pulling and he's let it go in one ear and out the other with no respect to me. So he's having it all today and we're going somewhere where the dogs cannot react to goats and cats - which he also allows!

Sorry for the rant you guys - with everything going on it just pours out..
As well as the LADS DVD I suggested, you may find these of help, and they are free!

http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/wa...headhalter.pdf
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/le...lktogether.pdf
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/lo..._diagramed.doc
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/strolling_on_lead.doc
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Sorry, only read two pages!

Have you tried a Gentle Leader? It was the only thing I could find that fit Jake. I love it as there is nothing to it. A nose strap (adjustable), and the bit that goes round the neck (adjustable). No side bits that get in their eyes.

I know it is really hard with more than one dog! I taught Simon on our own, in the park. We used to just pace up and down, left and right... no lead, just an "oops,wrong", when he wasn't in the right place, and loads of praise and treats when he was. He knew we weren't "going anywhere", we were just doing stuff, so he wasn't trying to get anywhere IYKWIM.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:46 PM
For what it's worth, I'm finding the GenCon All In One pretty good; used it again today and thus far the slipline has not gone into Dexter's eyes at all.

Also, it works slightly differently to many other headcollars, in that the control point is at the side of the neck and not under the dog's chin.

I've also heard about something called the Wonder Collar:
http://www.wondercollar.co.uk/

Never used the Wonder Collar so I don't know if it's good, but just thought I'd mention it in the hope that it helps.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
For what it's worth, I'm finding the GenCon All In One pretty good; used it again today and thus far the slipline has not gone into Dexter's eyes at all.

Also, it works slightly differently to many other headcollars, in that the control point is at the side of the neck and not under the dog's chin.

Never used the Wonder Collar so I don't know if it's good, but just thought I'd mention it in the hope that it helps.
same method as the figure of 8's or using a slip lead as a head collar.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks for all the info guys - I appreciate it

For those who don't read blogs, Louie did really well last night - he heeled past a chocolate lab that he'd just been playing with before class and for some reason he was really intrigued by this staffie x - I think he has a think for dogs called Lola! Of course this is all in class - but since I normally practice on the drive - the boring place for him and down the street and there are lots of exciting smells there, class is a different place as we're either inside or outside so it's different.

He made me proud last night anyway - small victories.

I will look through everything later - just got up and I don't want to be up sorta thing.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

Just had a look - it looks like the CM collar just with a different name - I'm sure we had a topic about it on here
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Just had a look - it looks like the CM collar just with a different name - I'm sure we had a topic about it on here

Maybe, not sure - just saw it mentioned in a dog mag and thought it might help.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I bought a figure of 8 collar at an agility show Saturday and love it ... previously been using a slip lead as a figure of 8 - never got on with Haltis.

I use them when walking the boys together to have that extra bit of control.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4