View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Scientific Article on Shock/Prong/Choke Collars-very informative!

Karen Overall (2007), J of Vet Behavior
Considerations for shock and ‘training’ collars: Concerns from and for
the working dog community

http://www.dogdaysnw.com/doc/overall_collars.pdf

Very interesting! It's written for a Scientific Journal, so it's a bit of a tough read. But it explains the science behind why they're bad and talks about some interesting studies.

Mod note:

Please Note:

This thread is only to be used to discuss the article that has been posted in the first post - please do not use it to discuss shock collars in general, as we've had numerous general debates on the topic recently.

Thanks.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Wow! That's a fantastic and fascinating article! Makes me want to go join their organisation!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Please Note:

This thread is only to be used to discuss the article that has been posted in the first post - please do not use it to discuss shock collars in general, as we've had numerous general debates on the topic recently.

Thanks.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
What a masterful response to proponents of shock collars.

Completely agree with everything in it - if you don't get time to read all of it, read the last two pages.

We have run out of time to hide behind our own myths and in ivory towers. If not us, who; if not now, when?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I was really impressed by how she backed up all of her theories with scientific research. I think it's also very interesting how she states that any collar can do damage to the eyes of a dog... that I did not know!

I'm running out to buy harnesses for everyone!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Its a load of rubbish tbh.

No offence but I use e collars nearly everyday, I have researched the topic extensively (initially as an anti) and have not only seen all the research I have looked deeply into it and researched the research so to speak! I have also looked into the sponsorship of this research and the affiliations of the researchers.

For a better over view of the research

http://smartdogs.wordpress.com/2010/...vil/#more-7737

Btw its just an overview of stuff she has cherry picked because she agreed with it, its not a study or anything like that.

Also anyone who Knows who she is must realise that she has a vested interest in people not using e collars.

Adam
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Its a load of rubbish tbh.
Well we'll see how many others agree with you - but I suspect you will be alone with that viewpoint. Again.

Oh, and just so any newcomers to Dogsey happen to see this thread, Adam has a financial interest in shock collars - and we are currently evaluating our rules regarding such accounts, whether they may or may not be used on Dogsey. It seems likely they will not - so please keep that in mind.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Thank you for finding this article and posting it, it makes so much more sense than some of the made up science others tend to post (the shock wouldnt effect a plastic gnats wing being one of my particular favourites )

I also like the fact that the article says that just because one individual may think that these methods work, that this infact is not scientific but anecdotal and therefore is meaningless. Even moreso when the individuals have shown a complete lack of understanding of dogs and their body language.

Again - thank you
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Well we'll see how many others agree with you - but I suspect you will be alone with that viewpoint. Again.
You'd be surprised

Adam
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-02-2011, 06:11 PM
At last a piece of informative writing and research telling us just how bad these shock collars are for our dogs especially those of a nervous nature.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >