View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Good luck Kelz it's hard work hand rearing but worth .
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Another thought. If he has had a bad start, then he may be lacking in colustrum. That is available from Canine Chemists online. Pedigree do milk replacement or you can give Lactol.

If he has teeth within the next week start introducing puppy porridge, previously frozen raw mince etc. He won't need Farley's really, or the baby rice....

Mary
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Just to let you all know, I've been and bought some proper puppy replacement milk for little man.
I've also got some baby rice, and farleys rusk that i'm going to mash down with the puppy milk and let him try that for a few days to see how he goes.
If he does ok with that, then i'll slowly introduce more foods for him over the coming weeks.
Oh and apparantly little man will be 4 weeks old tomorrow, he already has teeth and they are blooming sharp too

I cant go into too much detail about whats happened on an open forum, but trust me if there was any way this little man could have stayed with his litter mates he would have done.
The couple that managed to survive are very ill, they are not expected to make it through this weekend.
I know it's not idea raising a young pup on his own, but I have to try, and hopefully Aura, and the little min pins will help to teach him manners, and bite inhibition etc.
I would be interested to know the circumstances of this little ones past.

Glad you managed to get the replacement milk for him.. its the next best thing for him , to hims mums milk.

I really hope you can get him through this crucial time.
Meg
Supervisor

20-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Another thought. If he has had a bad start, then he may be lacking in colustrum. That is available from Canine Chemists online. Pedigree do milk replacement or you can give Lactol.

If he has teeth within the next week start introducing puppy porridge, previously frozen raw mince etc. He won't need Farley's really, or the baby rice....

Mary
Rather than mince which can contain fat and gristle I have always used scraped beef to wean tiny puppies
You take a piece of steak, stewing steak is fine and scrape it with a sharp knife to produce a thick paste. This can be mixed with puppy meal or porridge. I have always given it raw but you can cook it in a little water then add the puppy meal and soak till soft.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Rather than mince which can contain fat and gristle I have always used scraped beef to wean tiny puppies
You take a piece of steak, stewing steak is fine and scrape it with a sharp knife to produce a thick paste. This can be mixed with puppy meal or porridge. I have always given it raw but you can cook it in a little water then add the puppy meal and soak till soft.
Good idea Mini, the beauty of this age is they eat so little! (I was emphasising the point more about the frozen bit to kill off bacteria!)
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Thanks Mini i'll bear that tip in mind when I get the little man eating a bit better.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Sounds like this pup has a fighting chance, just from the outline of what happened sounds shocking, not all puppy rearing goes to plan, just as my friends dog who got milk fever twice, it is definitely a labour of love and please let us know how the pup is going and what you call the pup when you get a chance
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 05:37 PM
vinnie and holly were hand reared by me starting at 5ish days old.

I used welpi
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Welpi-Mil...uctinfo/WELPI/

I used normal baby bottles and teats as rottie pups can handle them better.

I then went on to adding pedigree puppy porridge

http://www.petfoodpronto.co.uk/Product.asp?ID=1007

after that I soaked Eukanuba puppy food untill it was similar in texture to the puppy porridge and fed that,

I kept there welpi going untill they were 7 weeks.

cant say either of mine did badly on it though it was expensive with 11 hungry little chops to hand rear
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I start weaning mine at 3 and a half weeks onto puppy porridge and then Eukanuba. Not sure why you feel the need to crush down rusk and other baby products. You really need to be looking at good quality puppy food or as Mini has said fresh meat.
Good luck its hard work xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 06:31 PM
it can be a good idea to keep a weight diary, that way you can make sure hes gaining weight steadily
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >