View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 09:15 PM
you can physically see them expanding- or at least i could.
I could see her physically expanding (which I said in my original post) thats why I thought bloat, it happened in a split second. One second fine the next second in pain and I could watch her stomach expanding.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Its a dreadful thing. We had a Boxer many years ago bloated - had to do emergency dash to vets. Harvey has bloated twice & each time it has been after dry kibble. Soaked, he is fine

Sometimes it just happens. The vet who treated the first Boxer, said splitting feeds up into 3 or more a day could help.

Thank goodness all was fine. xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Having lost a Great Dane to gastric torsion, I know full well how ghastly it is.

She survived the first one after having surgery, but it recurred and I lost her a few months later to the second one.

The only recommendation my vet gave me was to feed wet food only - he said feeding kibble was like putting a gun to her head.......

Hope Lily is ok, Bev - such a scary thing.....

x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 03:51 PM
While I was at the vets with Kyiro this morning I told the vet what had happened with Lily last night and he said she was almost certainly bloating. Luckily because I was with her the second it started and massaged her tummy within seconds, and she got the gas out I stopped it becoming serious.
He said if I had been a couple of mins later massaging her I would probably have been too late and it would have been an emergency job.
So sounds like it was very lucky indeed I was right beside her as she was eating her food and it came on.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 04:04 PM
It can sometimes help also if as soon as you suspect it get something like Gaviscon/Kaolin into them.

Thank goodness all was well xx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Goodness how scary for you and thank goodness you had the presence of mind to do what you did. Lucky Lily.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Gaviscon or Kaolin are of absolutely no use in a bloat, that is not what they are designed for.

Windeze, (the one that contains simethicone) is designed for gas, as is Infacol (this also contains simethicone) again designed for winding babies.

http://www.moonstruckmeadows.com/Blo...V)%20Study.htm
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
While I was at the vets with Kyiro this morning I told the vet what had happened with Lily last night and he said she was almost certainly bloating. Luckily because I was with her the second it started and massaged her tummy within seconds, and she got the gas out I stopped it becoming serious.
He said if I had been a couple of mins later massaging her I would probably have been too late and it would have been an emergency job.
So sounds like it was very lucky indeed I was right beside her as she was eating her food and it came on.
You are probably still feeling too shaky to give yourself a pat on the back, but that is what you deserve.......and more!! Well done you.

Now the trick is to stop it ever happening again, if possible. Did your vet have any suggestions? I am sure that small meals throughout the day is part of the answer.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Big hugs and I hope it doesn't happen again, it's one of my worst nightmares where my dogs are concerned.

Heidi
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:41 AM
This is really frightening and I am pleased your dog is fine now.

How much infacol should be given and would that be the same dosage for every breed/size of dog?

I dont have my dog yet but want to get a first aid kit ready.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >