View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Would you place a rescue collie pup in this home?

Two mature adults (in their 50's), novice dog owners, but one of them grew up with a gundog breed, keen to make the dog a big part of their lives, lots of excercise, open to the idea of activities like agility.

Personally I'm a bit concerned that a (probably farm bred) collie could be too much for them.

What would you do?

J.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Two mature adults (in their 50's), novice dog owners, but one of them grew up with a gundog breed, keen to make the dog a big part of their lives, lots of excercise, open to the idea of activities like agility.

Personally I'm a bit concerned that a (probably farm bred) collie could be too much for them.

What would you do?

J.
Why??..................
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:11 AM
it depends, i know lots of older people on the flyball circuit with collies, if they are around and committed to the amount of exercise and stimulation a collie needs i can't see why not
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post

What would you do?

J.

Why do they WANT this dog rather than any other? What attracted them to it rather than any other breed or individual?

You know, sometimes there are first time dog owners who go on to surpass those who have had dogs all their lives in achievements, understanding and ability.

If they are realists and are not wearing rose coloured specs and are prepared to put in in order to get out, why not?

You may be taking a risk with them, but they are also taking a risk with the dog?

There are not an infinite number of homes out there, and even fewer with the RELEVANT experience, so if it felt right I would do it.

When I home check, I do use gut instinct as well........
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Sounds fine to me, in thier 50's isnt old to have collies you know, Ive got 5x's of them, and if they are up for a bit of agility/ flyball etc then it sounds good.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:17 AM
They sound ok to me. If they are older they will have more time to devote to the dog. They have probably thought long and hard about it before making the decision too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I should hope being in your 50s is NOT too old to have active, working dogs!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

If they are prepared to do the work, and have good back up, cant see too much of a problem. After all I'm nearer 60 and I have 5 dogs and 3 0f them are collies
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I should hope being in your 50s is NOT too old to have active, working dogs!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Less of the old reference to 50`s
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »