Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Anyone come across this before?

Well well well thought I'd ask if anyone had any idea's over the past fortnight or so I have varied my route with Sal, and often now see a couple with a nice GSD X they come out of their gate and set off I walk behind/in front dependant on the time I get there but they ony go about 400yds turn round and wal back and into the house. Tonight I asked them why sucha short walk and they said the dog will not go any further and will not pass the bus stop so they do the "400 yard" walk about 6 times a day.....amazing anyone ever come across anything like this before.?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Not in such a big dog, i have heard of little ones that people can't get to go very far......but if it was my dog and if i hadn't had any luck getting it to go any further i would have got a behaviourist in a long time ago to find out why the dog won't go further. It seems a real shame and a waste of a dog's life.

I wonder if they have ever tried taking it somewhere in a car.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Not as such, I once was walking across the motorway bridge and it was quite windy and Storm would not cross, the next couple of times aswell he wouldnt, so it makes you wonder if this dog has had a bad expeirience near or just after the bus stop.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 07:26 PM
no i have never come a cross this ,its funny isnt it .how old is he ?
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Have they tried walking a different way?Will the Dog walk if they take it somewhere else?..... My neighbours Little Yorkie would not walk past the Bus stop (1 Min from House)and got really distressed if he tried lifting her up to pass it... so he used to put her in the Car and walk her else were... he thinks a child jumped out of the B/stop and scared her to Death.

Maybe the Dog has been scared too?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I haven't personally, but there was a Rough Collie on 'Britians worst Pet, who would not turn left............so they had to walk right out of the gate, right up the next road, right down the next and right back to thier gate.............took some time to help it get over it, but then when they went back to see it 2 months later it was back to square one..........not tuning left
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I know that my inlaws last rottie, would not go any further than the bottom of the drive if she didnt feel like a walk or didnt fancy going with the person taking her. Moving one of the biggest rotties i have ever seen was never an option !! LOL
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 08:25 PM
that is odd - it would also have me thinking "bad experience"
While we were overcoming it, I would also be taking him on walks in the opposite direction!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 10:03 PM
my freinds dog refused to walk past a certain point, just where the church was it was go mad, we always though maybe it could sence something!

but it would stop ead at the same point each time and when we turned round it would go back to being happy and trotting along...turn back get to that point same thing each time, was very odd to watch!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Tonto can be like that if walked alone, with Inca he'll walk miles wherever.

When Mum had him, she obviously only walked him, whilst Inca stayed at home and I can remember seeing her being dragged back home, and it did use to upset her at times, hence why I always walked Tonts with me, esp to the beach and esp if she was having chemo so when she came home tired she knew he was too and he would snuggle up with her.

He also had a bad experience once and was chased by two labs, who tbh were being friendly, but to Tonts, out walking without his body guard (Inca) it was scary and he tried to run home, so yes maybe it had had a bad scare once.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >