Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 09:17 PM

Cramp

Okay who gets Cramp and when you do why? and is there a cure/prevention?

I have started getting terrible cramps in the back of my legs (agony)
HELP
Karen
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Here you go Kazz...this might help

muscle cramp

Alternative Names
muscle spasm, charley horse

Definition
A muscle cramp or "charley horse" is a painful, involuntary muscle contraction. Muscle cramps are also called muscle spasms.

What are the signs and symptoms of the condition?
The main symptom of a muscle cramp or spasm is pain in the muscle. The muscle itself is tender to the touch. In most cases a person is unable to continue using the affected muscle due to the pain.

What are the causes and risks of the condition?
The exact cause of muscle cramps is not well understood. They can occur in any muscle at any time. Cramps occur most often in the muscles of the leg or foot. They usually occur while playing sports, exercising, or lying in bed. The calf muscle in the back of the lower leg is a common place for nighttime cramps. These often occur after vigorous exercise.

Tight muscles are more likely to cramp than flexible muscles that have been stretched. A low level of physical fitness increases the risk of muscle cramps. Overexertion and muscle fatigue also contribute to cramping. Excess sweating or dehydration can deplete minerals in the body. These minerals are important for good muscle function and include sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Medications like diuretics or water pills can also lead to cramping due to loss of sodium and potassium.

Other situations can contribute to muscle cramping.
  • A person with one leg longer than the other is more likely to develop cramps.
  • People who run with too much rolling in of the foot or too much rolling out of the foot, are more likely to get leg cramps.
  • Wearing high heel shoes can also cause cramping.
  • A poor blood supply to leg muscles caused by smoking and atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) can cause a type of calf pain called claudication.
The common muscle cramp lasts a few seconds to minutes. It does not carry any risk of other long-term medical problems.

What can be done to prevent the condition?
Stretching the calf and other leg muscles improves flexibility. This reduces the risk of cramps. Individuals who get nighttime calf cramps should:
  • sleep on their sides
  • sleep with their toes pointed
  • not tuck in their blankets and sheets too tightly. This can bend the toes down and cause a cramp.
  • eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables to reduce the risk of mineral deficiencies.
  • drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise to prevent dehydration, especially during hot weather
  • wear comfortable shoes with good arch support to helps prevent cramps
In the past, salt tablets were recommended to prevent muscle cramps. However, salt tablets are not useful and should be avoided.
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 12:03 AM
i had bad leg cramp when i was having my son my mother told me to eat more bananas and oranges (which i was eating and craving for anyway) when i went for a check up i was also told the same and so i give in to the cravens in a big way and they soon went. these cramp were so bad they would wake me up in the night and i am a very heavy sleeper
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 08:17 AM
OH has been suffering from cramp the past couple of nights - had op last week on knee, he has been doing his excercises, so not sure why this id occuring.
abbymum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:26 AM
I used to get really bad cramp in my leg and was told to start using real salt(not table salt) most rock salt will do as long as it hasnt been stripped of all the minerals and I havent had any problems since using it.
Mary
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Was told that it may be too much salt in diet? Hhmm!!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Ita absolute agony, you want to SHOUT and SCREAM but I usually get them in bed and it wouldn't be the best idea in the world. I think cramps should be banned!
Dawn.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2005, 11:12 AM
A magnet works Kazz

See this thread: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/hea...ghlight=magnet

SB
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi Kazz, a few weeks ago i was being woken up every morning for about two weeks due to severe leg cramps, i was in tears with em sometimes!! With a lot of good advice i cured it in a couple of days. I did leg stretches!! Through exersise
pawprints
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2005, 06:58 PM
My Mum drinks Tonic Water for Cramp, it has Quinine in it, worth a try! Lucy
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >