View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Is it ok for other people to pick up your dog?

Obviously this is mainly directed at the owners of small dogs, I don't suppose that there are many labs out there getting scooped up!

The other day we were in the park and bumped into another dog owner who I know a little, in that we've seen him on and off for ages, but not much recently. Anyway before I knew what he was doing he picked up Gozo, who was not at all happy and did not react well he was seriously growly and snapped in the general direction of this blokes face. And was obviously returned to the ground quite promptly!

My first thought was that Gozo was in the wrong but actually after a little thought I don't think he was. He's a very small dog who was picked up off the ground without warning by someone he doesn't know at all and consequently had the perfect right to defend himself.

What do you all think?

J.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
lol - I think the bloke was in the wrong,
but did made me giggle as I then imagined the same scenario with my dog and would have to commend anyone who can scoop up all 4 stone of bruno !! LOL
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Hmm...my Yorkie is teensy, but no one has tried to pick her up without my say so. I would never dream of just randomly scooping someone else's dog up; how rude! what a stupid thing to do considering that as you say, most dogs probably don't want contact to a stranger that close. I think some people think that all rules go out of the window with a small dog.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I think it's asking for trouble doing that to a dog that you don't know very well. I wonder how he would like it?!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
what i would say aswell, I saw a little chi x daschie puppy yesterday in the park - and she truly was possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen but I would never have dreamt of lifting her up without asking first.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
People are always picking my girl up, she has painful spondylosis in her lower spine and tends to scream to let people know she doesn't appreciate it. She has no teeth so can't bite anyone!
At work, I always check with the owners of small dogs to check that they're happy to be picked up-we sometimes need to lift them in and out of kennels as some really won't tolerate it.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I allow people to pick the Chis up (if I like the look of them and they don't look like they are likely to pinch them) but ask them to hold their hands out to the dog first, to let them sniff and see if they want to go to them. A couple of mine are not keen on strangers and so I give a straight no with them (giving a polite explanation of course). No way am I going to get my dogs stressed for someone to have a hold. Tiani more or less insists anyone picks her up. She's an attention tart

I have had people just come and pick the Chis up but I've demanded they put them down. Can't believe some people are so lacking in manners and common courtesy. I'd not dream of even petting another dog without asking the owner's permission, let alone pick it up

Once when walking my old Yorkie boy (who never went on a lead - very good boy) one of my neighbours picked him up and started to walk away with him I shouted, "errrrr, excuse me, what do you think you are doing...." and she just put him down and said "oh, he's yours....." (I was about 15 feet behind him). Some people are seriously weird.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

I agree that it's very rude and it's not your dogs fault. I'd like to see someone try and scoop up my 7 month old - he's 38kg and has another year and half left of growing/filling out....
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
that guy was in the wrong. people used to do that all the time to jake when he was a pup, some would ask but i didnt want them to coz they were completely strangers, so i would pick him up and hold him at their level. to which they would get loads of kisses

i have had a few who just tried to pick him up, but they were quickly told not to.
PennyH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
We used to have a similar problem - but with our next door neighbours' grandchildren!
At the time, we had a yorkie and a westie. The dogs were in the garden and I called them in for dinner - the back door was open and they had been in the garden in the sunshine. Only Scruffy (westie) came in and no sign of Meg (yorkie) I went into the garden just in time to see the neighbours' grandson lowering her back into our garden!!!!!!
I was absolutely furious - that weekend, we erected a 6ft fence just inside the border of our garden as their fence was too low for my liking.
Solved the problem - annoyed the neighbours though!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >