Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dlboxerdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2008, 09:29 PM

News from Minnesota

Am boiling a chicken on this lovely Saturday afternoon, so I can make chicken salad to take with me tomorrow on a caravan (only two cars) to see my new puppy.

Yes, the old woman from Minnesota who has done Boxer rescue for 20 years is buying a Boxer puppy for $1100.
($400 discount because I am a rescuer.)

Like many women who approach their late 30's, I have had an intense desire to have a puppy. In case you don't see the comparison, many women in their late 30's feel the clock is ticking down to have a baby. Me, at 63, feels the clock is ticiking down to have a Boxer puppy, one that I can still have the energy to train to be an obedience champion. When my new pup, who will come to me on August 29th, arrives, we will have approximately 12 years to become famous and laden with obedience rewards. We will both be elderly when I am 75.

I have seen photos of the dog I most likely will buy. There were 5 puppies, and three were girls. One of the boys is white, but not deaf. The other boy is a flashy reverse brindle and will go to the owner of the sire. The other three are girls, and two are flashy reverse brindles. I am most likely to get the non-flashy reverse brindle. I am not having her ears cropped. Her name will be Layla.

Tomorrow, the lesbian couple who have the sire, granddaugther and my daughter will travel to Waterloo, Iowa. About a 4 hour trip. To see the puppies. The owner of the bitch will have decided on which of the females she wants. The owner of the sire gets the flashy male and the female pick of the litter.

I am fine with the female that is not show quality. I will only work with her on obedience.

After being a Boxer rescue person for nearly 20 years, I have gone to the other side and decided to buy a pup.

I will be retiring in two years. I will not have the money to pay for cardiomyopathy, bad knees, bad hips and thyroid disease, which are common Boxer health issues.

I am betting on paying in advance with the fee for this puppy. I could buy a puppy with no 12 generation lineage for only $400. I guess I prefer, at my age, knowing I will have a reduced income with retirement, to put my money up front for a puppy that has not had the genes for all the common Boxer ailments.

I have inherited fat elbows. My upper arms are full and lap over my lower arms. This is an inherited gene. My Mother and Grandmother had the same issue, and if my only child, my daughter, does not mind her weight, she, too, will have fat upper arms.

This is an inherited gene, the same as cardiomyopathy and other Boxer health issues.

I am hoping, that paying so much for this puppy, with her health lineage of 12 generations, will prevent me from paying the veterinary bills I have paid in the past for all my rescues. For all the knees, for all the ultasounds for the cardiomyopathy. For all the thyroid tests and meds to treat that.

I do intend to train this puppy, who I will call Layla, in obedience and compete with her. She is already enrolled in a puppy class that starts after Labor Day (September 2nd). This will be my life style until she is too old to compete.

As most of you know, I am a widow. I have not remarried since my husband died 11 years ago. I have not had a last ing romance in those 11 years. At this point in time, I would describe myself as asexual, and only interested in dogs.

Men in my life would only be welcome if they love dogs and can provide for half of the cost of keeping my home and the three acres I live on. And, they must put their dirty laundy in the proper place.

So, I expect to be single until death. God knows no man can put his dirty laundry in the bin.

Best regards to all, Diana Lynn
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Hope all goes well tomorrow meeting your future boxer puppy.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Congratulations Diana on the new addition.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Best of luck with your new addition, honey. Look forward to watching your pup grow and hearing of it's progress :0)
dlboxerdog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
You can't even know how meaningful your comments are regarding the new puppy, Layla. i am scared to death. I am used to rescues who have problems with adjustment. I have never had a "clean slate' of a puppy. What mistakes will I make? i am so grateful for your wishes. Diana Lynn
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Good luck with your new puppy, it sounds like you will be companions to each other into your 'Golden Age' and it will be nice to hear from you about your life together many times in future. I would like to ask, have you considered insurance for your pet ? that would prevent any worries about veterinary bills.