Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
What's the point of keeping animals alive just to kill them, not for food but for pleasure - it's barbaric.

There is NO glory in murder - and however they may try to dress it up, what they're doing is WRONG, because they are taking pleasure out of taking life.

If they want to help animals they could give the same amount of money to reserves or, better still, get game hunting farms to drop shooting with guns to shooting with cameras! (ie taking pics of these beautiful animals instead of killing them)
Just how I feel about it.

When he asked one of them if they found it difficult to kill an animal, he turned around and said "you don't understand, it's not the kill, it's the hunt that gets the adrenalin going" so how can that be then, if they're almost served up on a plate with this canned hunting??? That's the only bit I saw, I had to turn over, I couldn't have stood to watch a programme like that, I'd have been over there with my 12 bore shooting THEM!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Now, I could never kill an animal for pleasure and can't understand those who would want to (particularly when there isn't even the thrill of the chase).

But assuming the programme accurately represented the situation, I don't object to how these people ran their place.

The kills are eaten by the locals. Not sure what the locals would do without it - presumably hunt their own with less thought about humane methods etc?

They clearly took the animals welfare (including balance of species etc) seriously and to my mind the only difference between them and a cattle farmer is that they are getting paid to have the animals shot rather than having to send them off to the abattoir .

Far better to provide something like this for those nutters who want to kill than let them loose themselves.
LaineyT
New Member!
Female 

07-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I never miss him when hes on the telly but I couldnt watch last nights .All those poor animals killed just for the sake of it.

LaineyT
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Well like it or not (and I dont) some species are now thriving because of it. Local villagers are given meat and some is sold. the "trophies" are stuffed and mounted for the "hunters" to glare at.

They made absolutely no bones about saying it was all for money, I found it an honest representative of what goes on, people complain about things being hidden and complain about them telling the truth!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I have no complaints about them telling the truth. I think I mut just be very naiive as I thought creatures such as rhino were a protected species? It was this aspect which I think shocked me most. Animals which some people are trying hard to save are being killed elsewhere for pleasure. On the other hand if the breeding programme for these animals enables some to return to the wild then I suppose that redresses the balance somewhat.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I feel that is exactly why they are doing it. Money. Greed.

They are fortunate to be in a country where crops can grow very well (look at all the produce we buy in from the area into the UK alone).

But nah, they're not happy with a modest honest wage, they want big bucks - and this will get them that.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I didn't quite understand the context of the programme because I didn't watch it, but I have in the past seen a Cook Report Programme where he went and exposed them for what they were - murdering beautiful tigers, lions, leopards, etc. etc. for sheer pleasure, coz that's what it IS to some people, sheer pleasure to do that!! This programme was obviously totally different then? These were animals that are bred to eat and instead of sending them to slaughter by the sounds of it which is of course totally different, and Hali might well have a very valid point there when she talks about letting the nutters loose on them!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-04-2008, 03:56 PM
It is now on BBC iPlayer for anyone who didnt see it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I feel that is exactly why they are doing it. Money. Greed.

They are fortunate to be in a country where crops can grow very well (look at all the produce we buy in from the area into the UK alone).

But nah, they're not happy with a modest honest wage, they want big bucks - and this will get them that.
Azz they said as much. They said if money is no object, you can shoot what you like. Whenever money comes into it, you will get greed. They are doing nothing illegal, there is nothing dishonest, perhaps immoral in our eyes, but there are many things we see as going against the grain, that others dont.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3