Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Book recomendations

right guys ive run out of reading material, and being lonely single and miserable im reading more than i usually do

so give me some recomendations for me to read please

i like all the supernatural type books, but i will read anything. i love historical type books like the other boleyn girl, roots, the help etc. will read about animals, will read the girly light read books, the depressing abused children type books. i will read ANYTHING.

so maybe give me your favourite read?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:30 AM
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

The very FIRST FACTION book, all about life of a family (and families) in the meat processing sector of Chicago in the last century.

Read it and you will find not a lot has changed re processed food.

It is a really fascinating novel which follows the fortunes of some central figures whilst weaving in the industrial background not unlike say Barbara Taylor Bradford/Catherine Cookson.

It remains my favourite novel of all time.

Very moving.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

The very FIRST FACTION book, all about life of a family (and families) in the meat processing sector of Chicago in the last century.

Read it and you will find not a lot has changed re processed food.

It is a really fascinating novel which follows the fortunes of some central figures whilst weaving in the industrial background not unlike say Barbara Taylor Bradford/Catherine Cookson.

It remains my favourite novel of all time.

Very moving.
sounds good. ive just looked online and its only just over £5 with free delivery, so i think i will buy it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Years ago we very briefly had a Dogsey book club! One of the books that someone recommended was 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop, I think most of us that read it really enjoyed it. It's interesting because it is set in Greece and over in Greece it has actually been made into a TV series which my Auntie over there has been watching and she is thoroughly engrossed in it

Dog wise, I would recommend One Dog at a Time and No Place like Home by Pen Farthing, former marine who founded the Nowzad dog charity and featured in friends for life at Crufts. They have a rehoming centre in Afghanistan and they rehome dogs and cats that service personnel come into contact with and transport them to the UK, USA or wherever the soldier lives. The animal needs to have a soldier's home or soldier's family to go to as we already have so many strays they don't just bring them over for anyone to rehome. They also do a lot of animal welfare work and liaise with the people of Afghanistan, neutering programmes and help improve the lives of donkeys over there, veterinary aid etc. One Dog at a Time is the first book when Pen and the other marines are in Afghanistan and first meet the dogs. The second one is about how the work for the charity progresses when Pen arrives home. Warning, you will need tissues for the first one though
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Just found the original thread for The Island:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=57638
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Have you read any other of Philippa Gregorys books, she has done a lot more than The Other Boleyn Girl, i've read quite a few of hers and they are all good.

Also good is Alison Weir.

Katherine by Anya Seton is a fab book about John of Gaunt and Katherine Swinford
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Have you read any other of Philippa Gregorys books, she has done a lot more than The Other Boleyn Girl, i've read quite a few of hers and they are all good.

Also good is Alison Weir.

Katherine by Anya Seton is a fab book about John of Gaunt and Katherine Swinford
no i havent. might have to buy some though. ive seen them on the shelves in waterstones. do they go in a specific order or are they all different stories, that arent linked?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 09:12 AM
think we should have a dogsey book club again
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I`m currently reading..
The Jennifer Morgue by Charles Stross - It`s part of a series about a secret British Govt Department that deals with paranormal threats - from the point of view of the IT geek who gets drafted into active service.
and I`ve just finished
Equations of Life by Simon Morden
A Russian refugee is hiding in the last city in England - the London Metrozone when he stumbles into the kidnapping of the most powerful man in the city....
Neither are exactly girly.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Just finished reading a couple of Karen Rose ones. Re-reading the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time series again now and need to order the latest one. I'm a huge fantasy fan but will read pretty much anything.

For those who like to read a lot but can't afford to keep buying new books you might want to look at the read it swap it website. (www.readitswapit.co.uk)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >