Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Oscar is only 5 years old and already he knows what respect and discipline are. OK so he has his naughty moments but he gets a time out.

I do lots of stuff with plasticine and play doh with him, lots of extra reading and writing to help with his school work (not just homework that's set for him), lots of puzzles, games (word and number games) etc and you know what he likes best?.........Cooking! Baking cakes or making pancakes in particular is something he goes mad for.

He also does "his" chores around the house. Now obviously my housework is my responsibility - evne moreso when the 4 dogs spend much of the day running aout in what is now a muddy swamp (used to be my lawn!) and then decide to spread the mud from the bodies and feet all over the living room.

Oscar loves to polish, wipe surfaces over, and wash up. He enjoys vacuuming too but his arms get tired. OK so it takes 5 times as long to do anything when he helps me and usually I have to do it all again when he's either at school, with his Dad or in bed asleep. But it doesn't matter. I know he's happy. He likes to help. It gives him a sense of pride and achievement and I'm very proud of the person he's growing up to be.

I agree though that nowadays people are more concerned with having flashy cars, big houses, lots of money etc and at the end of the day it means nothing and cannot be compared to growing up with morals, discipline, manners and most of all, love.

I'd love to own a 7 bedroomed house out in the Country somewhere, with it's own private road. I'd love to own a big Mercedes to use at the weekend with an Audi to run about in during the week and a big MPV with the seats removed to fit all the dogs in at the same time. I'd think it was great if I could go on holiday for a month at a time to the Bahamas and had holiday homes in the Caribbean and Southerm Europe.

But for me, all these things are just show. Many people who have these things seem to want to take the emphasis away from their family, as though they have something to hide. An attitude of "look at what I've got" seems to prevail rather than "these are my kids/family".

There don't seem to be any family values any more. I was brought up with values from my mother's side of the family (Sicilian/Italian, strictly Roman Catholic) where we have a head of the family (my grandmother) and woe betide anyone who went against what she said. Even for me, certain things seemed very old fashioned but I'm pleased I was raised this way. But growing up, it was evident that in my year group at school (and the kids from other year groups I knew) practically nobody else was raised with any sense of right from wrong, discipline or common courtesy.

Laura xx

I`m sorry, but I find the above statements simply incredible.

So what you and Hectorsmum, are saying if you work hard to achieve all the above, you are not a good parent, and it follows naturally that you have not taught your kids any discipline /manners/morals/

I`m baffled
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 08:35 AM
My parents were great as we were growing up - I'm 27 and Iso is 30, and my Dad used to do the 'putting kids back to bed without saying anything' that many years ago!
We both had chores to do.
We weren't spoiled - we once got a second hand Sindy house (to share) for Christmas and thought it was amazing!

BUT.....My parents both worked hard (Mum from home as she had a post office), they both had nice cars (Dads a company car), and we always went on holiday, we had a gorgeous house (4 bedroom), with a decent sized garden. We were always well dressed (not in names though).
We both had very good manners - if we didn't say please/thankyou, we didn't get!
When my Dad died, my Mum and I used to go abroad up to 4 times a year - I still wasn't a spoiled brat.

Even to this day my Mum knows how much Iso and I appreciate everything she has given us.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

So what you and Hectorsmum, are saying if you work hard to achieve all the above, you are not a good parent, and it follows naturally that you have not taught your kids any discipline /manners/morals/

I`m baffled
no we dont mean that!

what we're saying is 'some' parents see the kids as fashion accessories and expect others at either play group/nurseries or school to teach kids the rights and wrongs.
they wont take responsibility for their own kids

i applaud anyone who works hard for the luxuries in life but sometimes things have to be put on hold when you have kids because their upbringing comes first. we as parents produce these little darlings so we should be the ones bringing them up.
i know its an old fashioned view where mum stays at home, but just look at the faces of the kids when they come out of school and you will see the excitement on the faces of those going home with mum and the dejection of those going with a childminder.

i know of some new parents who go back to work after 6 weeks and baby goes to a nursery.......why bother having kids if you cant/wont bring them up?
these kids are being denied the love and care of their parents, which they need.
this is (IMO) why so many kids are suffering in later life.they dont know how to love or how to return it. hence the anger towards society.

i feel we are damaging our children.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I like Jo Frost, I think she'd make a good dog trainer!

Although the stuff she teaches parents to do seems 'common sense' and 'normal'; after seeing how my SIL is bringing her kids up, I do wonder! Both she and the kids would benefit from a visit from Jo!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Personally I think she has it spot on, she is a no nonsense attitude and from what I have seen has a lot to offer those parents who have no idea on how to be a parent.
And, let's face it, how many of us actually know how to be a parent initially? You learn as you go along!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
And, let's face it, how many of us actually know how to be a parent initially? You learn as you go along!
Exactly, i actually did what Jo Frost does as my job with the CBII and for most parents its just getting them to go through things and think about what they are doing, often they came up with the solution themselves. Having my own child now, i struggle as much as the next parent and often ring up my old colleagues for advice!

On the whole i like Jo Frost, but wish i had got her wages...and i did a better job!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
None of us, but we have or had extended families, who helped us to become parents.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2010, 01:28 PM

I`m baffled
No not at all. Sorry, it didn't come out as I intended. Obviously peopel do work hard to get those things, I;m not dispouting that. And I'm surew that most also are good parents.

But there are those people who use material things as a facade to mask what things are really like. My ex husband does it. he thinks peopel will like him if he has a nice car, a new ipod, wears expensive clothes. But at home, he ignored Oscar until he was 19 months old and abused both of us almost daily. That is just one example. There are hundreds of others.

I, as with probably most people on here, would love to make enough money so that Oscar never HAS to go to work. Obviosuly I wouldn't tell him that otherwise he'll end up beign just a bum if he thinks everything he wants is funded by me. I may be lucky enough one day ot have that holiday home, to have a big flashy car. but I don't use those things to create a different impression of who I am.

Laura xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2