Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Extreme parenting Jo Frost

This looks like it is going to be good I like Jo Frost the woman from Supernanny.
And now she is just Jo Frost Extreme parenting.....

Just started on Channel4. Looks like its going to be interesting if a little confrontational between parents/Jo/children.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 08:17 PM
The need for programmes like this makes me wonder if it is society’s way of trying to correct the fact that most families are now single units....not multi layered age groups as it used to be and families are separated by distance, time and life styles.

I ask as my nephews and nieces all have interaction with grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts ( ) Etc etc and time spent with them. The number of their friends who have never been to a theatre, meal out (apart from MacDonald’s) or have time spent writing, reading, doing puzzles games or merely cooking/baking, let alone sitting down to a meal - with family is frightening.

What has happened to the family values, when did Children take over....and is this how we get the so called "feral" children.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I saw this last week and just watched it again tonight. I really like Jo Frost's approach to parenting and have certainly picked up tips from Supernanny in the past.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
The need for programmes like this makes me wonder if it is society’s way of trying to correct the fact that most families are now single units....not multi layered age groups as it used to be and families are separated by distance, time and life styles.

I ask as my nephews and nieces all have interaction with grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts ( ) Etc etc and time spent with them. The number of their friends who have never been to a theatre, meal out (apart from MacDonald’s) or have time spent writing, reading, doing puzzles games or merely cooking/baking, let alone sitting down to a meal - with family is frightening.

What has happened to the family values, when did Children take over....and is this how we get the so called "feral" children.
Some interesting points posed there Kazz. I don't have any answers, but do wonder when things started to go so badly downhill. When did children lose the respect for elder and authority figures that we held as children?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Some interesting points posed there Kazz. I don't have any answers, but do wonder when things started to go so badly downhill. When did children lose the respect for elder and authority figures that we held as children?
just about the same time that parents were either too busy with careers to raise their kids, or simply not caring enough what the kids are doing so long as they aren't in the way. Kids whose parents either won't work, or work too much and dump them on other people miss out on all the activities that normal kids used to do. I was very lucky and was able to spend ten years raising my kids before I started my business. I remember when the kids were little and I was a childminder people often thought I was bonkers for doing painting, baking and playdoh etc. with the kids, much like how people think I'm bonkers for putting effort into raising my dogs too. These days everyone wants everything easy with no time put in. All kids need and want is time spent with them to play and learn how to be decent human beings. That's far too much like hard work for some parents. Some people should be neutered!

OK rant over. I like Jo Frost, she's firm and fair. I like the way she relates to kids. I watched this last week, it was good.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Yes some people do appear to have children just because they can not to make a family, almost for the social security money......there was a little lad who used to hang around when we were kids, well teenagers and he was about 10 he followed my brother around as he was Captain of the school football team, and Sunday team. My brother mostly ignored him as most 15 year olds do...until he noticed he was out and about even when my brother was due in....10.30 school holidays he asked him when he went in and the kid said "never," my brother mentioned this to my Mom & Dad and Mom made an effort to find out about him (Sherlock Holmes has nothing on my Mom on a mission) seems his Mom and Dad had 4 children 2 in care and the lad and his older sister (19) at home...the neighbours said they never saw the lad in the house he spent his time in the garden or just hanging round(this family was new to the estate) My Mom offered him dinner on the Sunday and he literally moved in...he tagged along, and still 30 years later he comes for Sunday lunch every now and again, little acorns... he is a fireman now, and married with children of his own. His sister and two siblings have had their children removed from their care and one of his nieces has had her child removed from her care....so I do wonder if nuture is the key, a little caring and rules..."ie no smoking, no playing the wag" yes he was 10....if he wanted to go to see the Villa, have a birthday party go fishing....etc etc etc. These rules were set down by my Mom and Dad....the lads own sister did say a few years ago on his 40th that she wished she had another family....like he had.People who cared if he was in or out, had dinner or not, went to school.

He had a social worker who tried to get my Mom and Dad to foster him. But my parents wouldn't...take him away from his parents.

But it seems the cycle was set into action none of the children of the family learnt simple things like budgeting, cooking, cleaning, respect. So did not pass it on. You cannot teach what you do not know.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 09:20 PM
children are commodities for some people. why on earth do people have children for others to bring them up!

Jo Frost is only doing what I was doing with my kids 20 odd years ago, its nothing new.

if material objects,foriegn holidays and 2 cars and a posh house are what so called parents want then buy a cat....dont have kids.

when we first bought our first house eons ago we had the lowest mortgage we could get knowing that someday kids would grace our lives and we could afford to exist whilst i stayed at home and brought them up and interest rates went up to 15%!

my kids came first......and were my responsibility.

Jo Frost.....PAH! i could teach her more than she knows.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
children are commodities for some people. why on earth do people have children for others to bring them up!

Jo Frost is only doing what I was doing with my kids 20 odd years ago, its nothing new.

I agree with the above,

if material objects,foriegn holidays and 2 cars and a posh house are what so called parents want then buy a cat....dont have kids.

But not sure about the highlighted, I know plenty of people who are what you call "so called parents" that have all the above and are excellent parents.

Being a good parent is not about how much money /holidays/cars you have , but what you teach your children .. morals is not defined by money, or lack of it.

when we first bought our first house eons ago we had the lowest mortgage we could get knowing that someday kids would grace our lives and we could afford to exist whilst i stayed at home and brought them up and interest rates went up to 15%!

my kids came first......and were my responsibility.

Jo Frost.....PAH! i could teach her more than she knows.
Personally I think she has it spot on, she is a no nonsense attitude and from what I have seen has a lot to offer those parents who have no idea on how to be a parent.
vilmusius
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Yes some people do appear to have children just because they can not to make a family, almost for the social security money......there was a little lad who used to hang around when we were kids, well teenagers and he was about 10 he followed my brother around as he was Captain of the school football team, and Sunday team. My brother mostly ignored him as most 15 year olds do...until he noticed he was out and about even when my brother was due in....10.30 school holidays he asked him when he went in and the kid said "never," my brother mentioned this to my Mom & Dad and Mom made an effort to find out about him (Sherlock Holmes has nothing on my Mom on a mission) seems his Mom and Dad had 4 children 2 in care and the lad and his older sister (19) at home...the neighbours said they never saw the lad in the house he spent his time in the garden or just hanging round(this family was new to the estate) My Mom offered him dinner on the Sunday and he literally moved in...he tagged along, and still 30 years later he comes for Sunday lunch every now and again, little acorns... he is a fireman now, and married with children of his own. His sister and two siblings have had their children removed from their care and one of his nieces has had her child removed from her care....so I do wonder if nuture is the key, a little caring and rules..."ie no smoking, no playing the wag" yes he was 10....if he wanted to go to see the Villa, have a birthday party go fishing....etc etc etc. These rules were set down by my Mom and Dad....the lads own sister did say a few years ago on his 40th that she wished she had another family....like he had.People who cared if he was in or out, had dinner or not, went to school.

He had a social worker who tried to get my Mom and Dad to foster him. But my parents wouldn't...take him away from his parents.

But it seems the cycle was set into action none of the children of the family learnt simple things like budgeting, cooking, cleaning, respect. So did not pass it on. You cannot teach what you do not know.
Poor kids. I worry constantly about my cat and dog when I am at work. Always ask my hubby if he is at home: are they fed, walked, are they in or out etc. And he was just 10 year old kid! He was so lucky to have you looking after him!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi,

Oscar is only 5 years old and already he knows what respect and discipline are. OK so he has his naughty moments but he gets a time out.

I do lots of stuff with plasticine and play doh with him, lots of extra reading and writing to help with his school work (not just homework that's set for him), lots of puzzles, games (word and number games) etc and you know what he likes best?.........Cooking! Baking cakes or making pancakes in particular is something he goes mad for.

He also does "his" chores around the house. Now obviously my housework is my responsibility - evne moreso when the 4 dogs spend much of the day running aout in what is now a muddy swamp (used to be my lawn!) and then decide to spread the mud from the bodies and feet all over the living room.

Oscar loves to polish, wipe surfaces over, and wash up. He enjoys vacuuming too but his arms get tired. OK so it takes 5 times as long to do anything when he helps me and usually I have to do it all again when he's either at school, with his Dad or in bed asleep. But it doesn't matter. I know he's happy. He likes to help. It gives him a sense of pride and achievement and I'm very proud of the person he's growing up to be.

I agree though that nowadays people are more concerned with having flashy cars, big houses, lots of money etc and at the end of the day it means nothing and cannot be compared to growing up with morals, discipline, manners and most of all, love.

I'd love to own a 7 bedroomed house out in the Country somewhere, with it's own private road. I'd love to own a big Mercedes to use at the weekend with an Audi to run about in during the week and a big MPV with the seats removed to fit all the dogs in at the same time. I'd think it was great if I could go on holiday for a month at a time to the Bahamas and had holiday homes in the Caribbean and Southerm Europe.

But for me, all these things are just show. Many people who have these things seem to want to take the emphasis away from their family, as though they have something to hide. An attitude of "look at what I've got" seems to prevail rather than "these are my kids/family".

There don't seem to be any family values any more. I was brought up with values from my mother's side of the family (Sicilian/Italian, strictly Roman Catholic) where we have a head of the family (my grandmother) and woe betide anyone who went against what she said. Even for me, certain things seemed very old fashioned but I'm pleased I was raised this way. But growing up, it was evident that in my year group at school (and the kids from other year groups I knew) practically nobody else was raised with any sense of right from wrong, discipline or common courtesy.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >