Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:55 AM

High Blood Pressure - what a nightmare!

When I went for a contraceptive checkup 2 weeks ago, the nurse said my BP was high.

TBH I wasn't too worried about this, as I am (obviously) overweight; and in the past any high or abnormal BP readings have been due to my weight.

The nurse made a pretty big deal of it, and asked me all sorts of questions about exercise (lots but probably not enough), my eating and salt intake (currently actively trying to lose weight, eat lots of fresh and homemade foods), whether I smoked (never) or drank (once or twice a week) and other stuff. Even though she weighed me, she never commented about my weight.

She told me to come back in 2 weeks and be rechecked.

I've been back this morning, seen a different nurse, and my BP was lower than last time but still very high.

She asked me the same questions again (and got the same answers)

She said that they were very worried about my BP and asked me if I got headaches, chest pains etc. (which I don't)

She said they couldn't think of anything else that would be causing the high BP

I pointed out that I am, technically, over 2 stone overweight, with a BMI over what it should be. No wonder my BP is high!!

They want me to come back in another 2 weeks to be rechecked; but I don't see what the point is. I won't have lost 2 stone by then, my general stress levels won't have gone down. It will be the same as today.

I can't see what they expect to do, apart from put me on medication to control it, which they said they don't want to do because of my age.

I feel they're skirting round the issue of my weight - i.e. by not mentioning it at all, when it's obviously a large factor in the issue.

However, I have still booked an appointment in 2 weeks time, as I'm nothing if not obedient!
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I hope they get you BP sorted for you i know two weeks is not long but why dont you start a diet the when you go back if they weigh you they will see you are trying even though like you say they have,nt said about your weight they should really put you on pills i think anyway good luck let us know what happens in two weeks take care
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 10:14 AM
My BP is always on the low side of normal, if I lose weight then it is very low and then I get dizzy etc. I was told in some countries they would treat it! You can't win can you!
Becky
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I've been on Slimming World for about 4 weeks now and have lost just under half a stone... not bad going really!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I've been on Slimming World for about 4 weeks now and have lost just under half a stone... not bad going really!
Well done you,hope it helps and lowers your bp.You keep it up :smt038 :smt038
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
When I was younger and on the pill always rushing around everywhere my blood pressure was frequently high when I visited the doctor for my check up. I was at my ideal weight and took masses of exercise, probably more than enough ( ok I was a fitness freak ) but after a while he started to take the blood pressure reading at the end of the examination because it was always lower once I'd relaxed. Even now when I go to the gym my heart rate always reads much higher than it should for someone my age etc. my fitness instructor said with that reading I should have dropped dead and yet I was exercising and holdiing a conversation at the same time.After talking to my doctor and having a thorough exam. he decided I'm as fit as a flea and to ignore my heart rate monitor as long as I can carry on a normal conversation. I would suggest seeing your doctor rather than the nurse and get his opinion.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Don't want to get you worried but if you're on the pill, the chances are that if you're blood pressure continues to be high without any obvious explanation, they may take you off the pill - that could be why they've asked you to go back in 2 weeks. (that's what happened to me anyway)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Don't want to get you worried but if you're on the pill, the chances are that if you're blood pressure continues to be high without any obvious explanation, they may take you off the pill - that could be why they've asked you to go back in 2 weeks. (that's what happened to me anyway)
Ah, I've done that previously (about 8 years ago). The pill I'm on now is designed for women over a certain weight and smokers/high risk categories, so (according to the nurse) shouldn't have any effect on my BP
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Ah, I've done that previously (about 8 years ago). The pill I'm on now is designed for women over a certain weight and smokers/high risk categories, so (according to the nurse) shouldn't have any effect on my BP
That's good news then
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Well done thats good going i go to weight watchers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >