Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I don't think so, usually you can't keep him out of there. In fact today he smashed the jug bit of my food processor because he pulled it off the draining board in case there was any food in it..there wasn't. I had completely cleared the kitchen of any food and any dirty dishes....and he still tried to steal stuff!
He is a lurcher and that is what Lurchers do Eventually he will give up unless someone accidentally leaves food out for him to get.

Things are harder at the moment as he is not getting as much exercise since I have no car.
Put an agility course up in your back garden, brush poles on bricks or tins for jumps, an old sheet sewn onto a hoolahoop for a tunnel, the brush handles can also be used for groundwork.

Well everyone's weeing outside at the moment. Cards had her nappy off today in the garden and then came inside...thankfully she remembered to run outside when she needed a wee. Then Paul came home and in the excitement Merryn said 'ooo I need a wee!' ran out of the room and I thought she had run upstairs and then realised she'd gone out to the garden too!
That is how I got one of my sons toilet trained, it was a good summer and he used to wee outside, when the weather got cold he started to use the toilet.

Remus has walked outside to have a wee just now!!.....and weed int he paddling pool I had just filled up for the girls! Queue empty paddling pool and refil it! Merryn and Carys are now feeding him water in tiny tea cups.
I put a paddling pool up for the dogs, Cyril thought it was his new toilet.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Haha...glad to hear it!

Remus has walked outside to have a wee just now!!.....and weed int he paddling pool I had just filled up for the girls! Queue empty paddling pool and refil it! Merryn and Carys are now feeding him water in tiny tea cups.
Oh the monkey
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2013, 09:16 AM
That's why I stopped using a paddling pool it became more of a piddling pool.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Glad he's not the only paddling pool piddler!

Unfortunately our back garden is a very small patio and decking area so agility is out of the question. I do manage a game of ball in there if I stand in the conservatory to throw it..also he has discovered the girls blow up cow which they are supposed to sit on and bounce on it but never really have. He loves to wrestle and shake it so I play 'ball' with that. Tonks cannot play though because she would pop it!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2013, 01:46 PM
When I first got Cyril he was just a skeleton bundle of energy, didn't know how to rest. Not wanting to do a lot with him I taught him to jump up and down the bench seat, then over the arms all on command. This really helped him focus. To make things a little different I put a pole between 2 garden chairs, they were put on the legs not the seat to start with, again go him to jump over it both ways on command then put it up to the seat.

Only one jump is needed, doesn't matter what it is, the learning to jump on command exercise the brain and the effort of jumping is physical exercise.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
When I first got Cyril he was just a skeleton bundle of energy, didn't know how to rest. Not wanting to do a lot with him I taught him to jump up and down the bench seat, then over the arms all on command. This really helped him focus. To make things a little different I put a pole between 2 garden chairs, they were put on the legs not the seat to start with, again go him to jump over it both ways on command then put it up to the seat.

Only one jump is needed, doesn't matter what it is, the learning to jump on command exercise the brain and the effort of jumping is physical exercise.
I should give it a go this week when Merryn is at preschool and there is only Carys to knock over. he really does need to learn to jump on command. At the moment I am trying to teach him 'up' to get into the boot of cars...he can do it...but refuses to unless a treat has gone in first. I do find it hard to concentrate on training with the girls around. Even though they will help with bits I've started him on during the evenings. They get him to sit and stay while they out his food down and then say take it. He is learning 'touch' which they like doing with him.

Unlike Tonks at his age, Remus will lie down and slew in the day time..Tonks was on the go all the time unless crated or cuddled into submission. I think because of this, and having a family now,I have been pretty lax with training...just teaching him basics like recall....and problems shooting issues where I can.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Hi I think you have a little character,and he will always do the opposite of what you expect him,In human terms you would say he is an Enigma a one off Gemini54
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2013, 05:45 PM
I should give it a go this week when Merryn is at preschool and there is only Carys to knock over. he really does need to learn to jump on command. At the moment I am trying to teach him 'up' to get into the boot of cars...he can do it...but refuses to unless a treat has gone in first. I do find it hard to concentrate on training with the girls around. Even though they will help with bits I've started him on during the evenings. They get him to sit and stay while they out his food down and then say take it. He is learning 'touch' which they like doing with him.

Unlike Tonks at his age, Remus will lie down and slew in the day time..Tonks was on the go all the time unless crated or cuddled into submission. I think because of this, and having a family now,I have been pretty lax with training...just teaching him basics like recall....and problems shooting issues where I can.
It isn't easy to train a dog when you have 2 small children, what may help is to use Tonks to teach Remus sometimes. eg you want Remus to sit, so have them near you, give the command to sit, when Tonks sits reward her then use the normal method to get Remus to sit. They do learn a lot quicker if there is another dog doing it at the same time unless you have a dog like Cyril, he was a disaster
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It isn't easy to train a dog when you have 2 small children, what may help is to use Tonks to teach Remus sometimes. eg you want Remus to sit, so have them near you, give the command to sit, when Tonks sits reward her then use the normal method to get Remus to sit. They do learn a lot quicker if there is another dog doing it at the same time unless you have a dog like Cyril, he was a disaster
Yes I have done this already and the look on Remus face is priceless, especially if I ask them both to do something that I know he can do (like sit) and he doesn't. I praise Tonks and give her a treat..I should film it because I don't think he could get his ears or highbrows higher or his eye wider if he tired...and then of course he sits down very quickly.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >