Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Not sure what to do... (Layla)

Layla is still here with me (for those that don't know her story see here The latest lodger... ).

She went for a trial run with someone who was interested in rehoming her Saturday but their dog didn't seem too impressed so they decided against taking on another dog for the time being.

I had another possibility lined up with one of my brothers friends but they don't feel quite ready for a dog.

So now I'm stuck. She's doing really well here, she gets on great with my boys, she' being good in her crate during the day, her house training is pretty much complete and she is a completely different dog to the one I found almost 2 weeks ago.

I have two options really, keep her or rehome her via a rescue (I refuse to carry out a private rehoming as I want to be sure she has full back up for life and I can't guarantee that).

There are a few advantages to keeping her the most obvious of which is that she is a lovely dog but she would also mean that I can do more one on one stuff with the boys more easily as I can leave two at home and train the third and rotate accordingly (Scooby can't count in this category as he is never left). The youngsters are a proper threesome as well. I have also always wanted a collie.

However there are some disadvantages. I've just got to the point where my boys are pretty sensible and dare I say it mature It's been really nice recently having dogs that I can relax with and not spend all my walks training. Layla would put me back in the position of having a dog in training. Three/four (depending on whether myself or Dad has Scooby) are harder to walk, however I only tend to walk offsite twice a week on my days off so this isn't really a huge problem. I've always had the rule that I won't own more dogs than there are hands in the household, this is already partly broken due to me having Scooby but he spends 3 days a week at my Dad's so he only counts as half a dog.

So I'm not really sure what to do. Any advice would be great? I don't want to send her to kennels, it seems silly to do that when she's perfectly happy here and I feel it would set her back with all her training due to the stress of it.

Please help!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Jen, I think only you can make the decision, huge commitment,but you know yourself the rewards are amazing Reading your post I really think deep down you want to keep the dog,its just the impression I'm getting
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2013, 05:14 PM
She is very pretty. How old do you think she is?
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Jen, I think only you can make the decision, huge commitment,but you know yourself the rewards are amazing Reading your post I really think deep down you want to keep the dog,its just the impression I'm getting
I know what you mean. The really upsetting thing is that in a few years time she'd have been precisely the dog I'd have looked for but if I keep her now I'll have three dogs under three, my house will be mad!

Originally Posted by FluffHippo View Post
She is very pretty. How old do you think she is?
I think she is about 6 months old. She's so sweet
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2013, 06:03 PM
If you can afford to keep her, go for it! I'm sure it will be great for you both and in some time she'll be as mature as your other doggies
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi Jen can you not continue to foster Layla for now and see if a good home turns up via the rescue to give you more time to decide ?

It sounds as thought you have almost made up your mind to keep her anyway
I am sure you will cope if you do as will Malcolm and Bandit
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I can't offer any advice I am a failed fosterer
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Me too, i didn't set out to have 5 dogs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by LauMeur View Post
If you can afford to keep her, go for it! I'm sure it will be great for you both and in some time she'll be as mature as your other doggies
Oh I can afford to keep her I mean what's 4 when you already have three hey?

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jen can you not continue to foster Layla for now and see if a good home turns up via the rescue to give you more time to decide ?

It sounds as thought you have almost made up your mind to keep her anyway
I am sure you will cope if you do as will Malcolm and Bandit
I think the main thing is I can't bare the thought of her going in to kennels. If someone rehomed her directly from me (as in if I fostered her for a rescue), going through the rehoming process I am used to I'd be fine but I can't bring myself to send her to kennels just because I didn't plan on getting another dog.

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Me too, i didn't set out to have 5 dogs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Haha I've been so good with the animals I've fostered so far and taking Layla would make it more difficult for me to foster in future.

She's been so good today, she's really getting the hang of sit and she's spent most of the evening in the garden playing with Malcolm and Bandit. She even helped me mow the lawn.

Oh I don't know what to do!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Well...it's only you who can decide to keep her, obviously....but the other option would be to find a small rescue who would put her on their books and do the advertising, applications,home checks, adoption contacts and back up support while she stays in foster with you! Remus' rescue organisation do direct from home homing so there must be lots more about.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >