View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't think it is an easy question to answer, I don't think it is black and white. We have had several members on this forum argue how 'happy' their dogs are to wear shock collars. A dog shut indoors all day may sleep a lot - does it sleep because it is content, or does it sleep because it is bored? Is a dog that runs over to every dog it sees a happy, friendly dog, or is it a nervous dog that feels the need to approach to give appeasement signals?
Just like most of us strive to research the best diet for our dogs regardless of many dogs managing just fine on Bakers, Pedigree, etc., and taking our dog to new and varied walking locations and meeting up with other dogs to provide more mental and physical stimulation instead of a quick lap of the local park, I think in small animals we should strive to provide the very best, above and beyond what an animal can "survive" in, and aim to provide a lifestyle that they thrive in instead.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't think it is an easy question to answer, I don't think it is black and white. We have had several members on this forum argue how 'happy' their dogs are to wear shock collars. A dog shut indoors all day may sleep a lot - does it sleep because it is content, or does it sleep because it is bored? Is a dog that runs over to every dog it sees a happy, friendly dog, or is it a nervous dog that feels the need to approach to give appeasement signals?
Just like most of us strive to research the best diet for our dogs regardless of many dogs managing just fine on Bakers, Pedigree, etc., and taking our dog to new and varied walking locations and meeting up with other dogs to provide more mental and physical stimulation instead of a quick lap of the local park, I think in small animals we should strive to provide the very best, above and beyond what an animal can "survive" in, and aim to provide a lifestyle that they thrive in instead.
I believe that at current her accomadation meets her needs and she is a perfectly happy hammy.

So far no one has been able to provide me with fact that a hamster must have a wheal to be considered happy so it can run. I have also never been told this till now hence why I am debating it.

You could also ask the same question about a wheal does a hamster run because its happy or because it's repetetively bored all night of doing the same thing.

Though I much prefer the idea of a daypen as I think this would provide her with more stimulation then a wheal. I can add things for her to explore and investigate which is much more stimulating and enjoyable.
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I believe that at current her accomadation meets her needs and she is a perfectly happy hammy.

So far no one has been able to provide me with fact that a hamster must have a wheal to be considered happy so it can run. I have also never been told this till now hence why I am debating it.

You could also ask the same question about a wheal does a hamster run because its happy or because it's repetetively bored all night of doing the same thing.

Though I much prefer the idea of a daypen as I think this would provide her with more stimulation then a wheal. I can add things for her to explore and investigate which is much more stimulating and enjoyable.
Here you go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamster_wheel

I'll also direct you towards Hamster Central again, which is full of everything you'd ever want to know about hamsmers and their care, and the experienced owners and breeders there would be more than happy to advise you. http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by fiwen30 View Post
Here you go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamster_wheel

I'll also direct you towards Hamster Central again, which is full of everything you'd ever want to know about hamsmers and their care, and the experienced owners and breeders there would be more than happy to advise you. http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/
Wikapedia is probably the most unreliable source of information you could hope to find because its edited by the public anyone can add pages, edit informtaion and thus it is not necesserilly true what is writtern their.

Do you have a more reliable source not based on opinion? As a forum would indeed be based mostly on. Is their a book with the facts of wheals??
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Wikapedia is probably the most unreliable source of information you could hope to find because its edited by the public anyone can add pages, edit informtaion and thus it is not necesserilly true what is writtern their.

Do you have a more reliable source not based on opinion? As a forum would indeed be based mostly on. Is their a book with the facts of wheals??
OK, let's put it his way. Wheels are not bad for hamsters. They don't poison them, make them sick, and if chosen correctly, taking into account diameter and running surface, they don't physically hurt them. It is far better to give the hamster a choice of having a wheel to use, rather than just being confined to the space of a small cage to move around in for maybe 20 hours a day.

It will not negatively affect Daisy to have a wheel in her cage, and going by the experience of knowledgable hamster owners all over the world, it will enrich and better her life. If you buy one and she doesn't use it, then you're out of pocket £5; but £5 isn't much to pay to keep a loved pet amused and occupied while it's confined to a small space for the 2 years of it's life.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Where is that banging your head on a brick wall icon when you need it?

You admit yourself that you have not owned hamsters for 10 years. Information changes, the way we keep our animals changes. Once upon a time it was commonplace to keep hamsters and other small furries in a tiny, plastic, poorly ventilated Rotastak cages -- now we know much better.

The RSPCA do not specifically recommend a wheel but they do state that hamsters are very active animals at night and can run up to 5 miles. Running up to 5 miles is not physically possible in the confines of a cage, thus you provide the wheel. If the hamster did not like running in the wheel it would not do as it cannot be forced to use it. The fact is, most hamsters like running.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 11:29 AM
If a dog sleeps all day because it is bored, you don't deny it a bed. You find ways to add more stimulation into its life, e.g. more walks, more training, interactive toys, etc.
Equally, if a hamster runs in a wheel because it is bored, the answer is not to withdraw the wheel, but to make its environment more stimulating. A large cage that has the space needed to provide a variety of stimulation - such as an area with deep bedding for burrowing, a tall area for climbing, a large floor space for moving around fairly unrestricted, room for multiple toys, and a wheel for added environmental enrichment is the way forward.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 11:43 AM
The Home Office Licensing Laws for small rodents states that cage furniture, including a wheel, is an absolute requirement for their general housing and enrichment activities.

I find it ironic that animals kept for research have, by law, much higher welfare requirements than those kept as pets, yet no one stands outside Pets at Home protesting that they are evil scum.

I do understand why you refuse to buy a wheel Pippam? Surely you want to do all you can possibly do to enrich the Hamster's life
fiwen30
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2012, 11:55 AM
If you're after a reputable hamster book, I suggest the Hamsterlopaedia which is available on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamsterlopae.../dp/1860542468) which is a fantastic tool for all things Hamster.

I know you shrugged off the Wikipedia link, but I'll also provide the link to a hamster-specific wiki. This isn't curated by Joe Bloggs, but by enthusiasts and professionals who are up to speed with every aspect of modern hamster ownership. They have only the very best care for hamsters in mind, with no ulterior motives.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/Main_Page
Whoopy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I think she's gorgeous, as to cage, wheel etc I am not a hamster expert, I would imagine a lot depends on how much time a hammy spends out of their cage etc. plus if you wait 5 seconds the advice will have changed again as funnily enough none of us can read animals minds so we have to just keep making our best most informed guesses, but we can never be 100% sure we've got it right which is why advice evolves over time.

Go with your gut and enjoy your hammy
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >