Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Introducing Daisy the hamster

She came from pets at home her name is Daisy and I have had her since end of March, love her to pieces really missed having a hamster ^^
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Aww, Delightful Daisy.

We've always had a hamster. Our last one was called Eric (RIP). They are absolutely wonderful pets.

Enjoy Daisy x
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 10:25 AM
she's sweet
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 10:39 AM
She is lovely I adore her to bits hamsters have to be my favourite small pet I just love everything about them ^^
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Oh wow she's cute! I miss having a hamster to be honest, our hamster Mr Fluffy was such a wee character.

*ponders*
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Oh wow she's cute! I miss having a hamster to be honest, our hamster Mr Fluffy was such a wee character.

*ponders*
They are great really easy to look after too the only downsider is the noise they make for half the night it took me a while to get used to it again but I hardly hear now.

Care is very affordable they have a huge variety of cages from various prices I paid the minimal of £20 for the smallest but its big enough for her. I got her a hamster ball so I can exersize her as I didn't get a wheal. I may get a nicer cage when I get a job but she is happy in her current cage so I guess I will have to wait and see.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
They are great really easy to look after too the only downsider is the noise they make for half the night it took me a while to get used to it again but I hardly hear now.

Care is very affordable they have a huge variety of cages from various prices I paid the minimal of £20 for the smallest but its big enough for her. I got her a hamster ball so I can exersize her as I didn't get a wheal. I may get a nicer cage when I get a job but she is happy in her current cage so I guess I will have to wait and see.
Actually I think a ball is brilliant, we had one Hamster, Alf who used to chase Mum's little dog Misha round the house. And Mr Fluffy would roll up to Dougal and annoy him till Dougal got up and moved...then he would have Mr Fluffy rolling after him

They are funny little critters. I'm really thinking about getting another one, I miss Alf especially, she was a wee darling.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm not personally a fan of balls as they don't give the hamster any choice in whether they want to run - once the momentum builds up they have to move those legs or get flung around! So they may seem to be enjoying zooming around in a ball but do they have much choice?
Personally I think a playpen is a much better way to provide a change of scenery and some exercise outside of the cage. A really cheap method is to buy a few sheets of Correx (the corrogated plastic stuff that 'for sale' signs are made from) to stick together, a tablecloth or waterproof picnic mat can be used to protect the carpet, and then you can put various toys inside (e.g. a wheel if one won't fit inside the cage)

I would also say look into the minimum cage size recommended by some savvy hamster people, rather than the size cage recommended by PAH - often cages aimed at a particular species are far from suitable. I've not had a hamster in a while and when I did, she lived in a big rat cage, but I've heard that the "Cambridge" cage that PAH do is a good size - probably the minimum recommended size for a Syrian hamster.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Daisy would disagree with you their she has great controll and if she doesn't want to roll she stops!

My last hamster Shewie would park his ball like someone parking their car and then would roll off again. I think it depends really on the hamster some are better in the ball then others. Obviously if your hammy finds controlling the ball difficult don't put them in there.

Millie really enjoys watching the hamster in her cage every time she runs through her tunnel which she also gets on fine with and enjoys, Millie ducks down and goes to look under the chest of draws to see if the hamster has gone under!

She will also sit on my bed and watch Daisy if she is up.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2012, 12:25 PM
She's very pretty, I love her markings

Hamsters do need a lot more space than most people give them credit for, they are incredibly active little creatures. I would seriously think about getting a bigger cage, maybe second hand? Something like a Zoozone (intended for guinea pigs ) is a decent size without breaking the bank.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >