View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 12:54 PM
We've got Rosie on Burns High Oats which is good for weight loss, helped our Daisy no end, but seems to be working the opposite way for Rosie
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Better add that the incontinence does not appear until later in the bitches’ life, it only happens following the op if the op has been botched. With very young bitches the volva does not mature and remains as it is in the puppy stage, sunk down either at the surface of the surrounding skin or below that level. After spaying the volva shrinks and if it is not already mature and protruding from the surrounding area there is grave danger that there will be urine-scolding burns to the area resulting in ulceration and very sore skin.

There are any number of things that may result from early spaying or castration the above being only one, the ovaries and testis produce a large proportion of the bodies hormones and the removal does and will cause side effects. The amount of these effects depended on the individual and the time of the removal of these important glands.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 01:02 PM
hi lottie... i am not getting indie speyed, altho i may get phoenix speyed when shes ready due to the fact ive heard its best to get at least one speyed if u have 2 bitches.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks for itterating when the inncontenance may occur Thordell...I figured it would be when they are later in years.

Don't many that are unspayed develop bladder control problems when in older also?

I would definitly say I am glad we at least waited until inbetween Keena's first and second season.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Saffy was spayed before her first season, this has not affected her continence wise, but I must admit shes a heavy dog, even though she has her diet strictly controlled. The vet told me she isnt overweight but is very muscly. Which I believed has occured due to spaying.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2005, 02:14 PM
With very young bitches the volva does not mature and remains as it is in the puppy stage, sunk down either at the surface of the surrounding skin or below that level. After spaying the volva shrinks and if it is not already mature and protruding from the surrounding area there is grave danger that there will be urine-scolding burns to the area resulting in ulceration and very sore skin.
This is one of the reasons given by our vet for not spaying larger dogs until at least 9 months preferrably a year.

We got Star spayed at a year, almost 18 months ago and have noticed no difference. She can hold her pee in for ages. The only probably is keeping weight on her the opposite of what most people have a problem with.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Tam is spayed and we are having no problems with her at the moment. Her weight is fine and her coat is lovely
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Don't many that are unspayed develop bladder control problems when in older also?
Have known one un-spayed bitch that had problems on occasion when she barked or got excited when she was a very old lady but not the continual dripping that some spayed bitches get. Most are about to keep themselves clean and you only need change the bedding daily, but did have one that needed nappy cream to stop the inside of her legs becoming burned, she was a rescue GSD and I do not know when she was spayed.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 05:46 PM
i had diesel speyed at 5 months old,have no problems weight wise no incontenence and she has a beautiful coat,i have also had my puppy castrated(2weeks ago)and both seem fine.i will definately be getting all of my future dogs speyed or castrated.it is your decision alone and you have to weigh up the pros and cons.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 06:13 PM
i-i-i...

That's messed things up big style! I was always sure she'd be spayed!
I really can't risk her mating and always felt that it would be more responsible to spay her...

I think, the best thing to do would be to ask my vet about it and see what they think, my vet always seems to do what is right for the animal never mind profits...

Lottie
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >