Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 04:45 AM

Large breed owners, keep Bloat in the back of your mind

On Saturday night my aunt and uncle had a dinner party. Everyone was feeding their rottweiler/black lab food, and she was running around playing with the kids. At some point they noticed Dolly (the dog) gagging and pacing around. Everyone thought she just had an upset stomach, but she died that night of bloat They have no idea how much she ate because everyone was feeding her a little of this and a little of that. Just thought I'd post this for everyone with a large breed to keep in mind. My aunt didn't know about bloat unfortunately or maybe they could have gotten Dolly to the animal hospital in time to have the operation that could have saved her, so I thought I'd post this in case someone didn't know about it, or in case anyone lets their dogs be fed by guests.

Just the weekend before last I was at a bbq and everyone was feeding the dogs there too. Well meaning intentions could be catastrophic.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 07:14 AM
How awfull My condolances to your Aunt
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 07:29 AM
Thats awful, I always make sure I keep my dog out of the way, or content with a bone, until food is over with at BBQ's and parties.
Nothing to do with bloat, I'd never really heard of it but just because I don't want people to fill my dogs with rubbish.

Mitch.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2004, 07:48 AM

Bloat is the thing I fear most. Boxers are prone to it. So I dont let Star run around for at least an hour before and after eating.

thinking of your aunt and uncle Barbara
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 07:51 AM
whats bloat? is that jus where the dog eats too much and bloats up really big?
if so, indie has done that when she was 6wks old. She was crying and shaking all day and night and vet didnt do anything about it.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi Jenny

Bloat can kill dogs in a very short space of time

here is a link to a site that can explain it better to me.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/bloat.html
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Bloat is the one thing that worries me the most

I'm forever telling guests not to feed the dogs anything.
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

14-09-2004, 09:02 AM

Bloat worries me aswell! I always make sure that when we have a BBQ or Party that the dogs are in their cages and i tell everyone not to feed them.

I'm really sorry to hear about your Aunties dog, she must be devastated!!

Ozzy xxx
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 10:34 AM
i am terrified of bloat and we have decided to never allow max any of our food ever! the kids have been told its poisonous to him and could kill him so I know they will never feed him any and guests are told he is NOT allowed any treats. I am very aware of the no exercising for an hour after food but wasnt aware about the no eating till an hour after exercising either??
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

14-09-2004, 12:01 PM
thanks for letting us know Babs. Feel bad fo ryour Aunt hope she feels better soon. x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >