View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Television and fireworks....why oh why oh why....

.........do so many programmes have to show fireworks with full sound effects???

When many people are currently turning up their tvs, having shut the curtains etc. etc., it is absolutely maddening to suddenly have the room flooded with the sound of rockets and bangers.

We are so fortunate that Jimmi does not seem concerned, and we don't want him to become sensitised because our last two dogs were heartbreaking to watch over the firework periods.

Tonight is not bonfire night, yet outside it sounds like war has broken out and the first programme that I turned on (BBC1) featured fireworks.

I am currently a very grumpy old person
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Lol, can I be grumpy with you?
I can see absolutely no reason at all for setting off fireworks and upsetting pets and wildlife They must have more money than sense anyway.

While we are on the subject, the only thing that upsets Pepsi is door bells.
She goes mental each time a door bell rings on the telly, even if it doesn't sound a bit like ours
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I will join in with you too

My two are not are all concerned with fireworks,Meg may bark at the really loud bang ones but other than that they are chilled out asleep.
Not many gone off around us

I do sympathise with those who have terrified dogs though,we had a dog yrs ago who was awful over fireworks,use to hide in the wardrobe or under the bed and shake something awful
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I can see absolutely no reason at all for setting off fireworks and upsetting pets and wildlife They must have more money than sense anyway.

She goes mental each time a door bell rings on the telly, even if it doesn't sound a bit like ours
By all means join the grump club!!! Is it something that automatically happens once you pass 60??

I am glad that I am not alone in my feelings about wretched fireworks and the effect they must have on all the wild animals as well as pets. As I type there are two of those multi shot things going off fairly close............there are no pretty effects, just bang after bang. Jimmi is on my knee with his ears pricked up, but I am making a conscious effort not to even sigh so that he does not pick up on my anger.

Dear Pepsi - she is a one off isn't she Thank goodness there is no such thing as a "door bell night". Can you imagine her reaction
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I will join in with you too

My two are not are all concerned with fireworks,Meg may bark at the really loud bang ones but other than that they are chilled out asleep.
Not many gone off around us

I do sympathise with those who have terrified dogs though,we had a dog yrs ago who was awful over fireworks,use to hide in the wardrobe or under the bed and shake something awful
Isn't it a relief when you have a dog/s that don't react badly to the wretched things......especially when you previously had one that was terrified.

I just don't understand how people can justify spending a fortune on fireworks, because they are sooooo expensive.

Feel free to join the club - there is a virtual magic bottle on loan to this thread (normally it hides in my cupboard), so pour yourself whatever you fancy
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

Thankfully mine aren't too bad, just the odd bark, but then thankfully we are quite a bit away from a town. I certainly would restrict their use to 5th November and 31st December though.

On the subject of television noises, we had to turn "A Question of Sport" off the other day, as whenever anyone "buzzed", they both ran to the front door barking...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I think it most certainly is an age thing
Oh and thanks I will have a glass of red if I may

Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Thankfully mine aren't too bad, just the odd bark, but then thankfully we are quite a bit away from a town. I certainly would restrict their use to 5th November and 31st December though.

On the subject of television noises, we had to turn "A Question of Sport" off the other day, as whenever anyone "buzzed", they both ran to the front door barking...
Lol Pepsi leaps onto the back of the settee where she can see out and goes bananas. She can see no one is there but that doesn't make any difference
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
By all means join the grump club!!! Is it something that automatically happens once you pass 60??

I'm not old enough, but please can I join anyway? I hate fireworks (although thankfully Guinness doesn't seem to be as scared of them as I was expecting he would).
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I'm not old enough, but please can I join anyway? I hate fireworks (although thankfully Guinness doesn't seem to be as scared of them as I was expecting he would).
Hey, stop boasting !!!

Of course you can join.........a loathing of fireworks gives you automatic membership!!! Good for Guinness, I hope that he continues to be laid back about them.

*pours Nippy a bucket of wine
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post

*pours Nippy a bucket of wine
I like you.........hic
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >