Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Never ever believed that Myth
Mmmmm,, yet you beleive in "bloodlust"!

Originally Posted by Borderdawn;2152393[B
]I never blamed the Dog Jackbox, like you I have no "blame" to attach to him[/B]. My point was before I was even crueler than before was I personally would never leave a frail, elderly dog in the presence of young ones alone when I'm out.

I know Dawn, , the dog is not to blame, but not sure I could forgive the outcome either.

I also agree that we have to rethink thinks with older .ill dogs with the rest of their household, this is giving me thought for my situation at the moment, with Bandit being ill, and wondering if I should put up the baby gate when I am out??

Originally Posted by rune View Post
BTW----I don't believe for one minute BD would pts Livvy if she attacked one of the others. Like with the boxers excuses would be made and the showing would take precedent. How stressed must the dog that never started it feel having to deal with the aggressor on a regular basis?

rune

I`m sorry, but Rune, you need to take a bit of your own advice and read what the poster actually wrote.

Your interpretation of Helens story is bizarre,

Where on earth did you read into her experience showing was more important than her dogs!!

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Because of this

"When i showed & my dogs were entire i had two males who fought. They would put each other "down" on their backs but thats as far as it went. It was always the same one that started it."

Inference being that the dogs were entire because they have to be to be shown---so the showing was more important than peace in the group.

rune
As I said bizarre sorry correct that, make that predictable, any oppertunity to bash anyone who shows
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
"Unfortunate" the cat minding its own business crossing a garden is viciously mauled & killed by an out of control dog.

Do you have a cat?
Unfortunately cats on my property would need fast legs or a death wish. I will not purposely set my dogs on any animals but Kiki has a high prey drive and that is something I can work on but will probably never eliminate.
I don't blame the cat at all and would feel very bad if one of mine did catch a cat, but ultimately I blame the owners. If my dog wandered into someone's garden and was injured or killed by the inhabitant's dog, who's fault would it be? Mine, for not having control of my dog.
Dogs are animals - they have prey drives. How strong they are can depend on breed and individual dog. Those lucky enough to have a dog with no prey drive - good for you, but unfortunately we're not all that lucky and it's not something you can train out of every dog. I can redirect it, as I do now, but a cat in the garden would be far too tempting for Kiki.

As for reporting a dog as dangerously out of control - I have 6' fencing with a 1' extension angled in to keep my dogs contained. I would argue that it was the cat who was out of control - if you can't train it to keep out of other people's gardens then contain it, simple.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Do you have a cat?
No not since I lived with my parents. Had two over the years. Both strays that moved in & both made it to old age.

Edit:

Most Cats have the brains to avoid gardens where dogs live anyway - although a friend's Greyhound killed one that jumped into his dog run. Upsetting for her finding it, upsetting for the owner - but - & I know it's neither my cat or my dog - I can't shake the "one of them things".
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
No not since I lived with my parents. Had two over the years. Both strays that moved in & both made it to old age.
I thought as much.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Unfortunately cats on my property would need fast legs or a death wish. I will not purposely set my dogs on any animals but Kiki has a high prey drive and that is something I can work on but will probably never eliminate.
I don't blame the cat at all and would feel very bad if one of mine did catch a cat, but ultimately I blame the owner.
The owner of the dog or cat?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:54 PM
The owner of the dog or cat?
Cat. Don't see why cat owners should have different rules to dog owners - my dog has to be under control in public places and is not allowed to stray onto other people's property, why should cats be allowed to?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Cat. Don't see why cat owners should have different rules to dog owners - my dog has to be under control in public places and is not allowed to stray onto other people's property, why should cats be allowed to?
How do you propose cat owners do that?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Same way other pet owners do ?

Does seem wrong we allow cats free to kill whatever they like but expect more from our dogs.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:03 PM
My dog wanders into your garden. Your dog (quite rightly) objects to this and attacks my dog.
a) who's at fault?
b) how could I have prevented that?
c) why can I not replace the first "dog" with "cat" in this situation?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
I'm not sure.

If the neighbours dog broke into my garden and killed my cat I would be furious. If My cat jumped into the neighbours garden and was killed by their dog - or even came across an unfriendly dog out and about I'd be upset. Just as I'd be upset if it had been taken by a fox, hit by a car, stuck somewhere it couldn't get out of, etc. To me that's nature. the risks of the freedom we allow cats in this country. As well to report a dangerously out of control cat for reducing the bird population.

I have to say mine have killed a cat that came into the garden. Yes I was devestated, I paid the vets bill and went to see those that owned it.

However I would not consider having my dogs pts nor would I consider keeping my dogs muzzeled and on leads in their own garden.

I dont think it would be taken seriously if you reported it as dangers dog in its own garden to be honest.
Page 16 of 56 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »