Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Giving Advice - frustrating when it is not heeded

Does anyone ever get sick of giving advice to people who dont care or who dont want to listen ?

I love all dogs but it pisses me off when you get idiots who ask a question but dont want to listen to sensible advice
and then moan when you say what they dont want to hear
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 11:39 PM
yes, but if someone who does read it takes it onboard then it makes it worth while posting it
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 11:40 PM
OHHHH YESSSSSSSSS!!!
If they don't want to listen WHY ASK!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 11:45 PM
well if I ask for advice its because I genuinely want to know-
if someone told me something I didnt want to hear I wouldnt dismiss it
but as Em says if it helps other people then its worth it but ehy do some people ask in the first place
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 11:51 PM
We all have to do what we think is best, including giving advice that people don't want to hear. If you didn't give your advice and try your best to steer people in the right direction, then you would be doing yourself an injustice. Eventually someone will listen, and your advice will have made a difference .
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I get angry with my next door neighbour, he is a right clown, everything has to be done his way. he is a proper tyrant. He has more than once gone on about things that much that his wife and daughter walked out on him, he came to me and I told him why - his temper is the worst part. But he never sinks anything in. and I have given him advice but to no avail. a total waste of time talking to him.

He knows best.

Ian
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Oh its great when you ask for advice, that there are people, who are willing to give advice.

And its nice to get advice, then you can compare wiht what you think yourself and then make a decision.

Not necessarily one which follows the advice you've been given, but the advice might still have helped you making the decision.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
Does anyone ever get sick of giving advice to people who dont care or who dont want to listen ?
Interesting Lel, firstly what is advice? For the giver it is passing on the benefit of your experience to help others to solve situations they may be unfamiliar with, or to form conclusions. For the receiver it is to be given the details of another's experience to take or leave as they choose, and for the most part I do not mind which. It is after all their life and their choice and mostly when people ask for advice they are asking for just that not to have their decisions made for them, also you have done your best in advising them and what you consider sensible they may not. The only time I would mind is if by deliberately disregarding advice they do harm. Most parents stand by and watch in horror as their children make the wrong choices having been advised, but that is how they learn and we have all been in that situation at some time.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 12:41 PM
What annoys me most is when EVERY one gives the asme advise and its ignored.If there are differing opinions then obviously it is down to the person to weight up the different options and make a choice.When someone asks a question and get dozens of people giving the same answer then it is very frustrating
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2005, 12:48 PM
i would have thought if a person is asking advice it is to help them to make a choice on a subject.
puts the situtation in another light and maybe if the advice has been taken help them out at the same time.
i think it is wrong to ask for advice if the answers are not taken on board and help them to consider the bigger picture, if some one is set on doing what ever it may be then whats the point in asking a question or advice in the first place.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >