View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Thank's claire I see i have missed this post with the bite picture and as I was one of the one's mentioning it, he is a lovely dog and If you read back a few pages you will see before all this blew up I said he was, I personaly wouldn't have a cropped dog but have docked dog's.
Fluffybunny feet I also like docked dog's as does lot's of people and it was tore to pieces in another thread, I prefer boxer's docked but when your law in the mainland comes here to the north we will breed boxers with tail to be kept intact.

But in the mean time each and everyone of us is entitled to a opinion and not ridiculed because of it. If BD and Bilclaire likes cropped also then that's fine there opinion, but what some people should also beaware of just latley posting anything about our dog's on dogsey is like being thrown to the wolves so maybe that's why we willingly put up picture's in other section's. Not many will put in critque section as compared to many other section's.
Now that's just my opinion.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post

he has been seen and judged by breed judges who have awarded him the mark of excellence and certified him fit for breeding,

Right so hes been marked as excellence
which I can asure you if he had what you and others think he has wrong with him he wouldnt have been awarded this,

ok so for a dog to be awared this he has to be nigh perfect,

unlike in England europe is very tight on this you can breed from anything in England regardless of type shape health charactor etc.
we are not talking about breeding we are talking about showing,

I live with the dog and have paper work that backs me up,
ok
his show results are also posted on my web site for all to see even other exhibators who I'm sure would have something to say if I had made faulse statements,
ok

I would rather have a good cropped dog than a bad natural earded one anyday of the week.
I would rather have a good pink dog than a bad red one,
There are other dobes on here which have not had to prove anything to anyone it would seem it's only Merlin that has had to do that!!!!!!

Erm some will be pets, some will show , But I think the manner in which you post had everyone thinking must see this dog,,
, the only thing that has ever been mentioned in the breed classes re Merlin is his lack of colour on his chest,
but hes excellent, so surely he has no fault unlike the english dogs

{ unlike England {where our dogs lack shape type, temprament health}

l I have already posted a picture of a German champion with lack of tan on his chest

Mo and the Gang
No dog is perfect, ok things could have been worded better on the thread, but I thought he looked overshot, then again I know feck all about dobes, thank god
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
No dog is perfect, ok things could have been worded better on the thread, but I thought he looked overshot, then again I know feck all about dobes, thank god
But Shona underneath all the skin and talk he is a dog, pure and simple and you don't need to know certain breed's to know a good dog.
The same can be said bout horses, you look past the muck and dirt and you see a good un is worth having.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
I am going to be a very bad boy here but.......

Why has it been butchered? and its undershot, eyes are too round and if its a euro dog likely too tall but judges seem to skim over this point.

Hate docked dobes and ear cropping is just plain bloodly cruel.
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Hi Mo,

His shoulder blade and upper arms seem to meet at a good angle and he has a good top line. He has a nice deep and broad fore chest, but his costal arch doesn't seem to have as much definition in it as I would like. Also his coat looks very patchy in colour and he has a good weight on him.

Now for what I really don't like:

I absolutely hate the fact that his ears have been cropped and that either you or the breeder had put him through all that totally unnecessary pain at the age of between 7-10 weeks. Why would anyone put their puppy through a major operation and then once the stitches have been removed have their ears taped in a wire rack until the muscles and cartilage of the ears has healed enough to stand on their own? And all for vanity (yours not his). It's an absolutely pointless procedure and is of no benefit to the dog what so ever.

is.

that his coat is patchy, so if we can see faults in him by the photos supplied, what do you think a judge will see? Ok he might have a better jaw line then an English dobe that has been poorly breed, but he is nowhere near perfect, and I also don't think he warrants an excellent 1 for his confirmation. I also know of quite a few English breed dobes that are better looking than him.

Just out of curiosity have you ever owned a dobe before? As I said in post 20 I have had dobes in my life for 49 years, so believe me when I say that I know what I’m talking about concerning this breed of dog, and Merlin has got a undershot jaw

Due to some of these comments given in this "critique" , you would have to wonder why any of us would want to subject ourselves or our dogs to such a "personal attack"

The comments above have nothing to do with "critiquing " the dog, they are personal political views...and I would hope have no place in this section.

It will take a brave soul to lay their dogs bare to this sort of "critique" or attack, in the future.

We all have opinions , on docked/cropped, European V UK standards... and they should be given out with politeness.

You can almost feel the steam coming out of some of those comments.

And I have to agree with the OP, and do feel some of those comments where simply because the dog is cropped.

This section is suposed to be a bit of fun... not a slating of said dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I think its about run its course. There were some very nasty comments made about this Dog, totally unfounded IMO. The OP shouldnt of had to post pictures of the Dogs mouth, nobody else has.

Whether you like cropped ears or not, docked tails or not, the BREED STANDARD accomodates BOTH and thats what the critique should of been based on, not peoples personal opinion of what they do or dont like themselves.

Perhaps we can put this one to bed now?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I dont really have a view on the cropping, I have found this thread getting a bit ott, but I have learned from it too, yes the uk breeding and the Euro breeding is very diff, I did ask questions as its not what Im used to seeing, over all I like the dog, I dont think the personal things about butchering should have came into it though,,
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I dont really have a view on the cropping, I have found this thread getting a bit ott, but I have learned from it too, yes the uk breeding and the Euro breeding is very diff, I did ask questions as its not what Im used to seeing, over all I like the dog, I dont think the personal things about butchering should have came into it though,,
I agree with you Shona.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:51 PM
i dont know much about Dobies, breed standard or breed showing, but i think hes fabulous & looks l;ike he could defintally do the job he was bred for! i love his head & his expression, Im not keen on sticky up ears on any dog, natural or not, i dont like cropping & would never want to own a cropped or DOCKED dog, but tbh his ears do suit him!!!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 08:54 PM

I agree with you both BD and Shona. xxxx
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
My friends have greman bred Dobermanns and Merlin is a beautiful example of continental breeding
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >