Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2005, 06:38 PM

snapping

Hi All

Just a quick question, took Otis for a nice walk tonight and we met a nice boxer puppy who was very friendly. Only problem was Otis was very unsure of her. He usually loves to play with other dogs but he just sat there and then when he did jump up he was showing his teeth. He wasn't growling or barking, just kept showing his teeth and trying to bite her, but not in a real aggressive way. Hope that makes sense.

Is this aggressive behaviour, or just puppy's playing?

ta Jodie xx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Quite a few male dogs are unsure of puppies and most are a bit scared. Have always thought that apart from the pups being a bit in your face they do not smell to the dog as male or female and unless the are used to pup they are worried by this non sex hyper active dog
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 08:19 PM
There are a few reasons (I think) but it depends on the dog's other body language.

What were his ears doing?

If laid back flat and low on head with eyes possibly averted and whites showing, body tense, tail down he could have been scared.

If ears were forward with eyes narrow or staring and hackles up, tail straight out he could be aggressive or guarding.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks

His ears were back actually. I think he probably was scarred of the other pup as he was more bouncy than otis.

I have this overwhelming fear of my little otis turning aggressive. Everyone warned me not to get a staff (only because no one i know understands the breed!) and i told them that they were loving and good with children etc. And otis is, just a bit exciteable - but thats only cos he is still a pup - 6 months!!

Just want to nip things in the bud quick if he did start getting too boistrous.

ta
jx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I agree with Thordell's observations. Many males find puppies quite bewildering, to the extent that they appear scared of them and will warn them off. They are not so quick as some bitches to permit 'puppy licence' and will endeavour to stop the pup taking liberties even before it has started. This behaviour on its own does not signal a generally aggressive temperament, but I must say that if Otis is only 6 months old then he is rather young to be displaying such behaviour. Maybe the bouncy Boxer was just a bit too much for him to handle. Keep a close eye on him around young puppies and other dogs and do not allow him the opportunity for any aggressive behaviour. If he is aggressive when meeting & greeting he should be corrected.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2005, 04:50 PM
My old Staff Sam was really unsure around pups - he'd go out of his way to avoid them - where as the bitches I have had have all adored pups. He just never did understand them.

Karen