Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 08:53 AM

I'm really proud.....

Hi,

Some of you may know that my older brother and SIL have 2 dogs.

One is a 3 year old Rottie called Candy who is a big, slobbery teddy bear, loves to sit on everyone's lap and will hold you down to cover you in kisses.

The other is Duke. A 3 year old black GSD who suffers very badly with aggression problem - towards other dogs (aside form Candy) and all humans (aside from immediate family living in the house).

I have in the past begged and grovelled to both my brother and SIL to let me take Duke and train him, or at least teach him that not everyone will hurt him. They've had him from a young pup and he's not been badly treated as such but I believe he has been mistreated on the basis that his aggression hasn't been addressed.

Anyway, I've been going to their house almost every day for the past few months and working slowly with Duke. Yesterday my SIL allowed me to take Duke out for a walk. She insisted on him being muzzled but wouldn't say why and she walked about 100 yards behind us. Every time Duke passed a dog, he lunged and growled. I've seen Duke walking without a muzzle and without problems so when there weren't any other dogs around, I took off his muzzle. Just as I did it, a little Yorkie (the smallest one I've ever seen) came running up to him at what seemed like a million miles an hour. Duke didn't do anything. I must admit, I didn't expect him to after seeing him out on walks before. He sniffed at this little dog and lay down on the pavement with the Yorkie jumping all over him. It was lovely to watch. I tried to explain to my SIL that the muzzle was causing part of the problem on the walks but she just won't accept it - even after seeing this for herself.

My brother doesn't know I took him for a walk. He's under the impression that only he can walk Duke and train him. I have pointed out to him that because of a lack of training, Duke isn't very popular with neighbours etc. But he won't have it.

This is a huge breakthrough for Duke and now I can walk in and out of the house without him trying to kill me. He also allows others into the home too (only if the family are there though - I wouldn't try it without soemone already in the house) and sits nicely waiting to be asked to come for a fuss.

He still has a very long way to go, but at least he can now begin to enjoy just being a dog. I'm really proud of him.

Now all I have to do is keep working on my brother to let me take him to training classes.

Laura xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Some of you may know that my older brother and SIL have 2 dogs.

One is a 3 year old Rottie called Candy who is a big, slobbery teddy bear, loves to sit on everyone's lap and will hold you down to cover you in kisses.

The other is Duke. A 3 year old black GSD who suffers very badly with aggression problem - towards other dogs (aside form Candy) and all humans (aside from immediate family living in the house).

I have in the past begged and grovelled to both my brother and SIL to let me take Duke and train him, or at least teach him that not everyone will hurt him. They've had him from a young pup and he's not been badly treated as such but I believe he has been mistreated on the basis that his aggression hasn't been addressed.

Anyway, I've been going to their house almost every day for the past few months and working slowly with Duke. Yesterday my SIL allowed me to take Duke out for a walk. She insisted on him being muzzled but wouldn't say why and she walked about 100 yards behind us. Every time Duke passed a dog, he lunged and growled. I've seen Duke walking without a muzzle and without problems so when there weren't any other dogs around, I took off his muzzle. Just as I did it, a little Yorkie (the smallest one I've ever seen) came running up to him at what seemed like a million miles an hour. Duke didn't do anything. I must admit, I didn't expect him to after seeing him out on walks before. He sniffed at this little dog and lay down on the pavement with the Yorkie jumping all over him. It was lovely to watch. I tried to explain to my SIL that the muzzle was causing part of the problem on the walks but she just won't accept it - even after seeing this for herself.

My brother doesn't know I took him for a walk. He's under the impression that only he can walk Duke and train him. I have pointed out to him that because of a lack of training, Duke isn't very popular with neighbours etc. But he won't have it.

This is a huge breakthrough for Duke and now I can walk in and out of the house without him trying to kill me. He also allows others into the home too (only if the family are there though - I wouldn't try it without soemone already in the house) and sits nicely waiting to be asked to come for a fuss.

He still has a very long way to go, but at least he can now begin to enjoy just being a dog. I'm really proud of him.

Now all I have to do is keep working on my brother to let me take him to training classes.

Laura xx
Is that the dog or brother????

No, seriously well done, I hope they can see enough improvement to let you continue to help him.

Ali xx
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 09:08 AM
it does seem that sometimes the solution is really quite simple. well done you though!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 01:22 PM
well done! you should definitely keep working on him, poor dog
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes well done you. It sounds as if the dog is open to training, you'll just have to work harder with the humans lol.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi,

Thanks guys. IMO, GSDs are always open to training. It's just a case of finding what's easiest for the dog to focus on.

Laura xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Well Done to you and Duke Hope your brother allows you to train him x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2009, 01:23 PM
I think your brother should take him to training. Once he changes his attitude then the dog may have a hope.