Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2005, 10:40 PM

Broadband where there isn't any!

On my travels last week I was bemoaning the fact that there is no broadband available in my area and one of the Boxer people said it was possible to have broadband via a satelite connection. Now I am aware that the serious motorhome people who spend the summer touring Europe have such things, but where do I start to make enquiries? Is it frighteningly expensive?

Gill
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Try the ones listed on this page for starters:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband/sat.shtml
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 06:00 AM
We had no Broadband here till January this year, we got everyone in the village to ask for it and when it reached a certain number, think it was 150, the put it on for us.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 07:47 AM
The problem with being out in the country is that exchanges are few and far between, and Eircom (the National telephone company) need the house to be within a number of kilometres of the exchange for broadband to work. Similiarly, if the cabling is old - which it mainly is - they say it won't carry it.
Infrastructures here are very limited. Electricity comes via overhead wires that run along the lanes, there are no sewerage systems outside of the towns, water is usually from a well in the garden and the telephone system is so dodgy that I get the local radio station in the background on every call I make.
So - although my nearest town has it, I don't, as I am 7 Km from the exchange which is too far, apparently even on dial-up I am lucky if the connection speed gets up to 25-27!

Gill
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Have you tried asking Snorri the priest? He's got a satalite link I think