Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Chocolate and grapes

I know that these are toxic to dogs but before I knew this, many years ago I used to give both to my mongrel with no adverse effects (and he ate loads of grapes).

I understand that it is theobromine in choccie that is the culprit but is it clear what is toxic about grapes?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

18-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure what is toxic about grapes - but I know of a few dogs that eat grapes on a regular basis - I guess its just like humans that some are more prone to be affected like in allergies - I don't take the risk though - just to be safe
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I have read that grapes are poisonous in large quantities, but generally ok if not having a lot/very often
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I've read that grapes in large quantities can cause liver failure
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2005, 01:36 PM
I never knew that. Oh god Khera just ate half a grape that i dropped. Probably not enough to harm but she does have a sensitive tummy Doh
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Raisins are another thing.

I did read somewhere that it might be due to some kind of residue on grapes that is the cause.

While I'm at it - I also read that onions are bad.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes as I understand it that is correct, rasins and grapes can cause kidney failure but the reasons are not known for sure,some say insecticide some say mould
Years ago one of my dogs ate all my sons chocolate easter eggs (4) paper and all and lived to tell the tale..and when I was small and making mincemeat at christmas turning the handle of the mincer rasins dropped on the floor and were gobbled up by the dogs and none were harmed (that was before we knew they were toxic )
Onions are bad for dogs too ..as is garlic if given in large amounts because it is a member of the onion family , many things are bad if given in large amounts .
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Fear not, good peeps, your friendly, helpful Northperson has sprung into action with his Google facility, which device has come up with this handy link!

Grape/raisin toxicity

which seems to cover the question fairly well!

My Border Boys love chocolate, but because of the well-known toxicity, they don't get any. Also, Snorri-dog is epileptic, and while there's no link I know of between epilepsy and chocolate, there could be a connection via the brain excitement which chocolate induces and the brain excitement which is associated with epilepsy - so little Snorri has choccies barred from his treats menu. As I believe in being scrupulousy even-handed with both dogs, that means that Kali doesn't get any, either

The last time either was offered a grape, it was regarded with the utmost suspicion and turned down with great disdain! As grapes are not a natural food for dogs, I wasn't surprised by the refusal!

Snorri
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
, many things are bad if given in large amounts .
Great point Mini.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks Snorri the Priest - good article!

Poor Loki - he adores fruit - he's really into apples and bananas and I'm sure he would love a grape. Ah well, more jerky and liver cake then!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >