View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Interesting website you have there , it was very informative.

You say in your terms of sale .. that at any time any dog you have sold, and it becomes to aggressive for the owner to deal with, you will take it back and replace with another of equal value.( words to that affect)

Can I ask what you then do with the aggressive dog that is returned to you...

And why breed dog that may turn aggressive in the first place given the need to include such a clause in your policies!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
He hasn't refused---you just have to await his answer with patience LOL.

rune

LOL, point taken.

Though to me it is a refusal to answer; I've asked Mr Hans four times and he's refused to answer. That to me is a de facto refusal

It doesn't matter; I've now lost interest in the answer.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Would your dogs roll over onto their backs at the approach of another dog if you were not with them?

They would never do that even if I was with them. I am talking about a human member of the household who they see as their pack. They want to show submission - that they mean no threat, to a human who comes over to pet them when they are already lying down but not on their back. If a strange dog approached when they were lying down they would immediately stand up and avoid eye contact until they had established what the dog was feeling. I have rarely seen a dog lie on their back to another dog when not in play and only when the submitting dog is terrified. That is the funny thing, a dog lying on their back with a human is saying - I trust you with my life, a different kind of submissive gesture. This is all speculation on my part

I only ask because I can't see what part you are playing in the communication between the dogs.
Not sure what you are asking here
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Interesting website you have there , it was very informative.

You say in your terms of sale .. that at any time any dog you have sold, and it becomes to aggressive for the owner to deal with, you will take it back and replace with another of equal value.( words to that affect)

Can I ask what you then do with the aggressive dog that is returned to you...

And why breed dog that may turn aggressive in the first place given the need to include such a clause in your policies!
I also visited his site. Am I right in thinking that he breeds a czech working line GSD that was created by the czech border patrol? If he supplies working dogs for protection they are going to be aggressive no?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
I also visited his site. Am I right in thinking that he breeds a czech working line GSD that was created by the czech border patrol? If he supplies working dogs for protection they are going to be aggressive no?
No, working /protection dogs should not be aggressive,
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Pereg can not physically roll over. It is not because she does not want to, she physically cannot.

Neither can she physically lay on her back in the "come and get me" position that my Little One could.

If, and I repeat IF, I wanted to, I could get Pereg into a down position on the floor, somehow straddle her and literally FORCE her onto her back while I straddle her.

And she would cry because of pain. Not because of anything else, but because it HURTS her to force her into a position her skeletal build will not allow. I tried it once, and once was enough because I realised that she just can not get into that position. Not as a tiny puppy nor as a 20kg 2½ year old now.

It has nothing to do with me trying to be Alpha. It was just that when she was a puppy and I was teaching her things like Sit, Down, and then Roll over that I realised that she cannot actually roll over.

My dog trainer, who is the most gentle guy ever, initially said that it was because Pereg did not want to roll over. Until he saw how she would happily lay on her side, raise front and back legs... and then just stop.

There is nothing wrong with her structurally. She just cannot lay on her back, nor can she do a roll over.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Pereg can not physically roll over. It is not because she does not want to, she physically cannot.

Neither can she physically lay on her back in the "come and get me" position that my Little One could.

If, and I repeat IF, I wanted to, I could get Pereg into a down position on the floor, somehow straddle her and literally FORCE her onto her back while I straddle her.

And she would cry because of pain. Not because of anything else, but because it HURTS her to force her into a position her skeletal build will not allow. I tried it once, and once was enough because I realised that she just can not get into that position. Not as a tiny puppy nor as a 20kg 2½ year old now.

It has nothing to do with me trying to be Alpha. It was just that when she was a puppy and I was teaching her things like Sit, Down, and then Roll over that I realised that she cannot actually roll over.

My dog trainer, who is the most gentle guy ever, initially said that it was because Pereg did not want to roll over. Until he saw how she would happily lay on her side, raise front and back legs... and then just stop.

There is nothing wrong with her structurally. She just cannot lay on her back, nor can she do a roll over.
odd? then if its not a medical condition then why cant she?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
It is not medical, it is structural. I have no idea why, nor does her Vet, but she is a mutt from unknown origin, so who knows what is in her background? What we do know is that Pereg just cannot lie on her back or do a roll over. But she is comfortable in what she can do so why force her to do something which is obviously either difficult and/or painful for her?

She also cannot sit in a "beg" position, nor can she get up onto her hind legs, whereas Little One could, and did, frequently. Pereg cannot. It is not that she will not, she just can not.

It is not a matter of life or death whether Pereg can lie on her back or roll over, and let's face it, she has major health problems which have nothing to do with any physical malformation she might have, so I guess it is not important.

But yes, if I wanted to I could straddle her to do an Alpha roll, and while she was on her back force her to stay there. But why on earth should I want to?

Pereg is a happy girl. And long may she stay happy. Because I love her, she knows I love her, and I am quite sure she loves me too. Alpha roll or no alpha roll.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It is not medical, it is structural. I have no idea why, nor does her Vet, but she is a mutt from unknown origin, so who knows what is in her background? What we do know is that Pereg just cannot lie on her back or do a roll over. But she is comfortable in what she can do so why force her to do something which is obviously either difficult and/or painful for her?

She also cannot sit in a "beg" position, nor can she get up onto her hind legs, whereas Little One could, and did, frequently. Pereg cannot. It is not that she will not, she just can not.

It is not a matter of life or death whether Pereg can lie on her back or roll over, and let's face it, she has major health problems which have nothing to do with any physical malformation she might have, so I guess it is not important.

But yes, if I wanted to I could straddle her to do an Alpha roll, and while she was on her back force her to stay there. But why on earth should I want to?

Pereg is a happy girl. And long may she stay happy. Because I love her, she knows I love her, and I am quite sure she loves me too. Alpha roll or no alpha roll.
nowhere did i say that!!! being from an animal medical background i was interested as to why she cannot!

so vets have discovered a spinal deformity yes?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
nowhere did i say that!!! being from an animal medical background i was interested as to why she cannot!

so vets have discovered a spinal deformity yes?
Sorry, I probably did not make myself clear. Pereg does not have a spinal deformity as such, just a skeletal frame which causes here not to be able to lie on her back, but no, she has not had a spinal Xray as it is not really important to her whether she can, or cannot lie on her back.

She has no spinal or other mobility problems, therefore it is just one of those things and not important.

Pereg will Sit on command - either voice or hand signal. Same with Stay. Also Down and then "roll over" but her roll over is only part way with front and rear upper legs waving. She just cannot do any more.

It is not important. There are no doubt loads of things she cannot do, but she is a happy little girl and that is far more important than the things she cannot do.

There are lots of things I cannot do, but in the scheme of things do they really matter?

I am [mostly] happy with my life and I know that Pereg is always happy with her life - because she has no knowledge of the Monster hitting her and once that episode is over she is just Pereg. My girl.

So she cannot lie on her back. So she cannot roll over. Not really important, is it.

I just feel thoroughly ashamed with myself of having to try and force her into an Alpha Roll when I first heard of it. I thought I was a failure. But then I realised that it was not only a stupid thing to try, but that Pereg just could not physically do it unless I physically forced her.

And no way will I ever even try to force my Pereg to do anything.
Page 23 of 26 « First < 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 >