View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:19 AM

Need help on 8 week lesson plan (for coursework)

Hi

I'm studying at present and i need to do an 8 week lesson plan and I just can't seem to get started (I've got everything written down but just struggling with how much to put in the first lesson, after first lesson i can do no problem with showing how you would progress from one week to another)

Is there any trainers on here that could point me into the right direction please? (have i got too much in the first lesson - too much talking, should I move some to lesson 2 etc??)

Any help most appreciated

Ok here is what I have - in very brief note form.
7pm - welcome
710 - check collars leads Id tags and mention about microchipping
715 - watch command
720 - walking on lead
730 - brief description on a dogs mind / how they learn etc
735 - lead recall - using wait command (as in holding lead and stepping as far as lead will let you and calling dog into you)
745 - lead walking
755 - question and answer
8pm finish
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Will 5 minutes be enough to accomplish some of the tasks you've set?

As you (as the trainer) will have to watch everyone doing it, go and help if someone is havng problems etc.

Will the trainee (?) have enough time to practice the task more than once or twice in 5 minutes.

The only other thing I can think of, is where you've got "brief description of a dogs mind etc" - what will the trainee's be doing during this? How will they occupy the dogs, if this is their first lesson and the dogs won't be used to sitting and being quiet etc?

And I think (but please correct me if I'm wrong ) that you would have to expand on each item for the lesson plan, in terms of how you will teach each task, what strategies you'll show the trainees (you'll need more than one), how you'll cope with a problem dog (e.g. one who won't do it).....

Hope this helps!
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:45 AM
That was just a note form of what i was putting in as didn't want to hog too much space So yes it is rather expanded on my actual course work.

Would you say I'd be best to reduce the amount of talking etc (would i be better to put how dogs learn in to the next lesson?)

Once I get the first lesson sorted I can organise the others but I'm struggling with how much to put in the first lesson

Thanks for your reply - mmm taken your comments on board and going of to fiddle it around yet again
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by spanielworld View Post
Would you say I'd be best to reduce the amount of talking etc (would i be better to put how dogs learn in to the next lesson?)

Once I get the first lesson sorted I can organise the others but I'm struggling with how much to put in the first lesson
I think for the first couple of lessons, the talking should be kept to a minimum, only because you've potentially got a room full of dogs who aren't trained, and might not be able to sit and wait patiently whilst their owners listen to you

(Having just gone through this with our puppy a few months ago, it was a nightmare! So glad I'm on our training committee and could point this out!)

spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks

Any other comments will be greatfully received

it's so much easier actually doing it than trying to put it on paper, but then i'm told what to do in training and don't actually have to think about the planning (I'm only a voulantary assistant but have been enjoying it so much decided to actually get myself qualified, which will benefit me and the training of my dogs)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I`m not a trainer but I am a tutor, and to me it seems over-full. I would say you need to help your class get used to you and each other before they are capable of taking new stuff on board - and you need to observe them. Maybe asking them all to walk round first will be a better way to start?
Then they need to know what they`ll be doing, so I personally would explain a little of what they`ll be learning - and say when you can take questions.
The watch-me command needs to be demonstrated, then practiced, then problems addressed (you mught have a very excitable dog for instance) so I`d allow longer for that. It`s more important that the class achieve and understand than that they do a lot of stuff each week.
Good luck with it though.
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for that input - that is very helpful

Ooohhh I'm glad i joined you are all so helpful and giving me very constructive critisium - which is exactly what I was after

Thank you
Right off to organise everything
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Agree with previous comments & would add that I find hand outs very usefull, as people can take them away & read at their own leisure.
There are loads available via the Kennel Club site, covering owner responsibilities (tags, chips, cleaning up etc)

Also I do the harder excercises 1st each week...ending on an easier one, so everyone leaves on a high note
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 12:47 PM
To me it looks a wee bit like you are trying to do too much in one session. Hoever it is better to have too much prepared than too little as come the night you can miss something out if you need to. Play it by ear like you say.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 01:53 PM
how about a first class without dogs? you can talk through the basics, maybe do a couple of games using positive reinforcement to demonstrate, and use an experienced dog to demonstrate the course aims. That way come week 2 the people know each other, and they know what to expect.

x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >