View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 08:39 PM

Filling out first show entry form - HELP!!!!!!

Ok so I've decided to enter Isla for Newton Aycliffes Open Show on the 10th of December. Just one problem - trying to decide which classes to enter, how many and how to fill out the entry form.

Here's a little list of my questions:

How many classes do you think I should enter with it being our first show? Should I take it easy or go for it hammer and tongs?

AV Gundog MP has no time allocated (must be shown after the other Gundog classes I think?) so should I enter it anyway and just miss it if I'm in another class at the same time?

It's unbenched, so should I take her crate or would you not bother?

I wasn't going to enter the ESS classses as there's only SY and O, am I doing the right thing or should I risk getting shown up by much better trained (and behaved!) dogs?

And finally on the entry form do I just put Isla kennel name, or do I need to add the reg number next to "Kennel Club ATC No."?

Thanks everyone, can you sense the panic in this thread?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi Ripsnorter, If I were you I'd enter the ESS Special Yearling class, and the AV Gundog Minor Puppy class.

You stand a chance of being the highest placed puppy in the ESS SY class, and therefor being Best Puppy in Breed and eligible for the puppy group. Then the AV Gundog puppy class is a little extra practice.

Just try not to be too nervous, and just enjoy the experience. Judges don't expect baby puppies to be perfectly behaved, most would rather see a puppy being playful and enjoying itself, with a relaxed owner.

Good luck.

You just need to write the dogs KC registered name on the form, no registration numbers are required, and you don't have or need an ATC number.

Dawn R.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Ok I would enter as many as you feel comfortable with, I think I may well be at that show, Newton Aycliffe was my first show too!

AV are always at the end

If she is well behaved enough, I wouldn't bother with the crate TBH.

I would enter the ESS classes too, as you never know how many there are going to be, and who is going. You might have a good chance, but again, enter as many as you feel comfortable with. I always end up wishing i'd entered more (now I usually enter all I am eligable for)

She was born in uk so no you dont need reg number, just her KC name
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Hi Ripsnorter, If I were you I'd enter the ESS Special Yearling class, and the AV Gundog Minor Puppy class.

You stand a chance of being the highest placed puppy in the ESS SY class, and therefor being Best Puppy in Breed and eligible for the puppy group. Then the AV Gundog puppy class is a little extra practice.

Just try not to be too nervous, and just enjoy the experience. Judges don't expect baby puppies to be perfectly behaved, most would rather see a puppy being playful and enjoying itself, with a relaxed owner.

Good luck.

You just need to write the dogs KC registered name on the form, no registration numbers are required, and you don't have or need an ATC number.

Dawn R.
Bl**dy good job too! I'm banking on passing my nursing diploma in a few weeks (cos it's that easy! ) so I'll be able to devote more time to "controlling" her!

Thanks for the advice, I'll enter the Special Yearlings then. Should I go for a fun class too for a bit of practice do you think? There's AV Special Beginners - at least I stand a chance of looking a bit professional in Beginners class!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Ok I would enter as many as you feel comfortable with, I think I may well be at that show, Newton Aycliffe was my first show too!

AV are always at the end

If she is well behaved enough, I wouldn't bother with the crate TBH.

I would enter the ESS classes too, as you never know how many there are going to be, and who is going. You might have a good chance, but again, enter as many as you feel comfortable with. I always end up wishing i'd entered more (now I usually enter all I am eligable for)

She was born in uk so no you dont need reg number, just her KC name
Ooh look forward to seeing you there hopefully. You won't be able to miss me - I'll be on the end of a black and white blur! Think I might go for about 4 classes, might as well make a day of it.

Think this is the last Newton Aycliffe show, btw, due to health and safety in the leisure centre!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Ahh well, it's not that sort of beginners.

It's a class for dogs and handlers that have never won a CC in the breed. I've been showing since 1971 and I'm still regarded as a Special Beginner in both my breeds. I think I can handle though after all that time

Dawn R.

PS, 4 classes is quite alot for a baby at it's first show.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I would stick to what Nursey said and enter only ESS Special Yearling and AV Gundog Minor Puppy and leave it at that after all your dog is still a baby and you don't want to tire it out . As nursey says go in and enjoy and keep your cool. Best of luck to you both. Just remember even if you get nothing it is still the best dog in show you are bringing home as far as you are concerned and if you win its a bonus. Do let us know how it goes.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Ooh look forward to seeing you there hopefully. You won't be able to miss me - I'll be on the end of a black and white blur! Think I might go for about 4 classes, might as well make a day of it.

Think this is the last Newton Aycliffe show, btw, due to health and safety in the leisure centre!
REALLY? Nooooooooooooooooo It's a really good venue (for round here )
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Ahh well, it's not that sort of beginners.

It's a class for dogs and handlers that have never won a CC in the breed. I've been showing since 1971 and I'm still regarded as a Special Beginner in both my breeds. I'm think I can handle though after all that time

Dawn R.

PS, 4 classes is quite alot for a baby at it's first show.
Ok thanks!

If only there was a class titled "Nutcases" then I'd have no problem!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I would stick to what Nursey said and enter only ESS Special Yearling and AV Gundog Minor Puppy and leave it at that after all your dog is still a baby and you don't want to tire it out . As nursey says go in and enjoy and keep your cool. Best of luck to you both. Just remember even if you get nothing it is still the best dog in show you are bringing home as far as you are concerned and if you win its a bonus. Do let us know how it goes.
How do you tire out a springer? Answers on a postcard :smt043
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >