Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Only watched the first 20 minutes or so and very disappointed in the BBC for airing this piece of crap.
  • Choke chains - being yanked HARD (I bet the prongs were hidden - or might appear later?)
  • Pack leader macho talk nonsense
  • And the two total idiot owners taking part

Big thumbs down from me - maybe I'll change my mind if I watch more of it later.
Try watching to the end azz I agree the treatment of dogs was harsh and the 2 kids who went were complete prats but the guy did actually teach them something and it results in a better life for 2 dogs in our country then it can't be all bad
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I couldn't help liking Henry (maybe it was his coat-Jamie has a similar one ) as I do think that he really cared for his dogs and he was also quite caring to the 2 numpty owners although he didn't take any attitude from them.

I do hope my licence fee is not being spent on these nuggets being sent overseas though?

Sadly I often see people with Staffies off-lead near main roads-I nearly hit one coming home from work on Tuesday. There were a group of young males with it and one of them just shoved it with his foot back on to the pavement when he saw it had gone into the road
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Try watching to the end azz I agree the treatment of dogs was harsh and the 2 kids who went were complete prats but the guy did actually teach them something and it results in a better life for 2 dogs in our country then it can't be all bad
K, will do later on tonight
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I didn't see it..part of me wanted to, but part of me didn't and the second part won

I might watch it if it is on iplayer though, as i can FF through any jerking of dogs and thus keep my adrenalin levels reasonably calm and my blood pressure down

Wys
x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
It was better than I expected... and I think the anti-poaching thing is brilliant!

I can't believe that guy taught his 6 month old to bite! And that the girl couldn't care less that the dog wasn't going to get any food or water!

I do like that they said the pack theory is out dated and advised people not to use choke chains in Britain... I did think it was strange though, that they said that, yet still made a programme with all the being used...
I didn't have a problem with them showing the use of check chains etc, as that is how this guy trains his dogs - and it wouldn't do the programme justice to hide such things.

Just because we don't always agree with things, doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to them or pretend they don't happen?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Did nobody else wince when the guy checked the dog for going towards the fence? A full on yank with the full force of a five foot lead Way over the top and really put me off. The sniffer work was really interesting to watch but that scene just put my back up for the rest of the programme. It might have given the owners a change in perspective for viewing their dogs but it didn't give them transferable skills, she could hardly go home and start yanking around her pug like that And when she was showing off at the end she was like "sit...sit down....sit...sit down!", couldn't even get her cues straight so no wonder the dog needed to be asked five times! Hmmm....

The poaching stuff was fascinating though and I'm interested to see other trainers approaches in future programmes, hopefully they'll have so better role models coming up. Interested to see the husky racing one.
Yup I cringed when he did that yank

I think perhaps this programme would have been more interesting (to dog people anyway!) as simply a programme about different working dogs around the world - but then, I guess, it wouldn't make as good "general" viewing iyswim.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Here's the link to iplayer folks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._South_Africa/

Wys
x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Something I meant to comment on when watching the programme was they said that a Mali can track faster than a bloodhound? Is that right? If so, I am impressed!

I found the insight into the boy with the Staffie's life quite interesting - and it did answer a few questions I had about why certain factions buy staffies as status symbols, and why they aren't trained or kept on leads. Really strange logic they have - but I found it interesting all the same.

Look forward to next week's show.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
And the two total idiot owners taking part

The boy was acting out because he wasn't confident inside. And it looked as if the girl had been brought up to believe she had to rely on others. She won me over when she said about her large bouncy Malinois 'I don't want to shout at him because he's so lovely'
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Just got to the bit where Holly is ok about not giving one of her dogs food or water

It's better than I thought though, so far....

Loving the Malis
Page 6 of 43 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »