View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:58 PM
hey just caught this thread, and whilst I absolutely adore this area its truly wild and beautiful probably my favourite of all of scotland, I think it would be just too out there for you H !!!

Saw your update and definitely think at least if you head to yorkshire your scottish HOLIDAY would be more drivable as if you haven't done scotland then you should absolutely do it !!!!

I am loving your enthusiasm for your new adventure, and its a shame you have decided that scotland and the inn isn't for you as you would have had lots of dogsey visitors all year round !!! LOL
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 07:39 AM
That is so true Dani - we could have had a Dogsey convention each year at H's Inn

I love North Yorkshire too - have you any rough idea which area you would like to be in H? Also, have you been to Yorkshire before?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Waow just had great fun reading this thread. H I would absolutely love the areas you were looking at in Scotland BUT I think you would love them for a holiday but not to actually live. Eg if Skye or Lochalsh area your nearest tesco would be Fort william ( a day return) trip from North Skye I think your nearest Sainsburys would be Inverness though it may actually be Aberdeen! The "supermarket" on Skye there are 2 is a co-op and heavens knows where you would buy shoes and handbags

Think that would be Inverness. Most of the shops are wee crafty type shops and supplies (climbing hunting and fishing) and of course the fabulous independent butchers/fishmongers and grocers

Same would go for Lochinver and Ullapool way. Ullapool is stunning and mobile mechanics would be useful but not sure financially viable. Good tourist area all year as is Skye Lochinver too as in the summer its for scenery and people searching for white beaches and turquoise waters or en route north to catch ferries or to visit John o groats by the scenic route and in the winter full of climbers challenging themselves against the peaks and the elements. The west gets surprisingly little snow much less than say the centralish Cairngorms or where Kirsty lives but it is bleak bleak bleak in the winter horizontal sleat driving winds and what can feel like true isolation. We travelled to a funeral near Ullapool (about 80 miles from it) in January and the snow was on the mountains the endless road of grey driving rain and a wind chill that cut through you - very atmospheric but also harsh. Yorkshire seems good idea, Stuarts Pal stays in York so hopefully we could meet up at some point plus its central between Scotland (where you would have to visit) and your lovely van. and not so many/no midgies and places for shoes
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That is so true Dani - we could have had a Dogsey convention each year at H's Inn

I love North Yorkshire too - have you any rough idea which area you would like to be in H? Also, have you been to Yorkshire before?
The business for sale is based in Skipton, so we Right Move'd within 10 miles, and came up with some fantastic bungalows in rural spots, and soooooooo cheap, under £200K Those would be over £250K down here!!! Every one of them that we fancied and I saved, was in fact in Colne or Keighley wherever those are lol! Dog walks right on the doorstep, some of them 4 bedrooms, with lots of space and a garage and parking, quite unbelievable what you get for your money up noorf! The ONLY problem I foresee is, I don't like the way they say Joooges (aka jUdges lol!)

Lol at you there Dani, and thanks for the info, but there will be no Dogsey meet in Scotland after reading all the replies, York is far more favoured now.

thanks for all that info Lynne, it sounds so ideal, but I've never run a pub, wouldn't have a clue, nor has Dave, and it's not really my thaing! A sandwich van is much more ma thaing!!! As long as Dave works it of course, whilst I'm out walking once I've done my bit by making them all!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Waow just had great fun reading this thread. H I would absolutely love the areas you were looking at in Scotland BUT I think you would love them for a holiday but not to actually live. Eg if Skye or Lochalsh area your nearest tesco would be Fort william ( a day return) trip from North Skye I think your nearest Sainsburys would be Inverness though it may actually be Aberdeen! The "supermarket" on Skye there are 2 is a co-op and heavens knows where you would buy shoes and handbags
Oh I know full-well the saga of the Tesco attempts to conquer Skye - I get given a blow-by-blow account of it all from the in-laws! I think they cope by planning meals more heavily than you might do otherwise, store cupboards jammed to survive the end of the world plus my father-in-law is a fishing nut so there's invariably a freezer jammed with fish and lobster as well.

They moved there a couple of years ago - love it, but I'd go nuts living that remotely. It's wonderful, incredibly greyhound friendly (so Nancy loved it up there) but gawd I was still finding flipping ticks on the dogs for a good week after (mainly cos Layton saw the world's biggest bunny, his brain nearly exploded and he was determined to have his head in every patch of long grass trying to find the heavenly bunny again)!

The garage someone posted is actually very near where the in-laws live.

The biggest bit of advice they got given when they were considering making the move was to go up there in the middle of February when it was peeing it down with horizontal rain and blowing a gale with lots of the restaurants and the like closed down for the winter and see if they still felt the same way as they did on a nice sunny August day. They followed that advice and came home having put an offer in on the house! Don't think that was quite what was intended!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks for all the fantastic input/advice etc. Natalie and Kirsty (not forgetting Peedie with your Orkney link there, loving the 6 bed country house!!!). After much deliberation with Dave tonight, going through the details, it sounds like too much like hard work to reap any kind of living, too many midges in the summer, too much cooking for me (again - don't forget I've done the Care home the guesthouse and the outside catering along with the mobile unit, cook, cook, bladdy cook )too much committment on my part, when I'm supposed to be retired and walking the dogs!!!

Soooooo, I'm now onto the nice little earner of the sandwich van round, he only works 8 am to 1pm and turns over £100K a year for his troubles! Just so happens I know the profit of coffee and sarnies coz I did it at Hickstead for many years, so it's back in North Yorkshire for us now, and the prices of detatched bungalows are pretty unbelievable We have found half a dozen that are right up our street nothing over £200K, plus the little sarnie van - sorted!!!

No doubt it'll all change tomorrow, but Dave is excited about this one coz he said he would love to do something like that (even though I have my doubts coz he hated working with me in that field), but I'm more than prepared to make 'em, but it'll be his job to shift 'em! Thank goodness our buyers still have their property to sell (their sale fell through), coz it gives me plenty of time to find something that suits us both.

You're right Kirsty and Natalie, although I can do remote, there is remote, and then there is reeeeeemote!!!!
oh H, that would be a great thing IMO, I'd love to do that!! The problem here isn't getting a van though, its getting the van with a licensed spot.......and all the good ones are taken!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=Dobermann;2378036]oh H, that would be a great thing IMO, I'd love to do that!! The problem here isn't getting a van though, its getting the van with a licensed spot.......and all the good ones are taken![/QUOTE]

That's the beauty of this one Natalie, coz he's had this particular round for 5 years, he has contracts with a couple of local shops too, and some companies, so basically, it's all there, ready to take over - trouble is, it's £52K for the priveledge and I think that's a tad expensive even though he takes £2K a week! It'll all depend whether it's still up for sale when our sale has gone through really. I wouldn't want to start one up of my own anywhere coz I know how it works, having had a catering trailer, you don't step on anyone's toes! (I did once and got my trailer nicked and set fire to!!!! ) Mine was different though, I didn't do the street, I did all the horse shows, point to points in the south east, and Hickstead stablefield, so I was there by invitation, nothing sinister like the street pitches.

I really don't know Dave's still harping on about that garage in Devon with the bungalow, but the bloke never answers my e-mails or sends pics, almost as if he doesn't want to sell it, or maybe it's already sold, just don't know.

I'm bored with it all now until Dave decides whether or not he's sold his garage, because if he hasn't, then it's all change again, coz we will have to stay in this area for him to get to work, or at least Kent, but we can't move further.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=Helena54;2378097]
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
oh H, that would be a great thing IMO, I'd love to do that!! The problem here isn't getting a van though, its getting the van with a licensed spot.......and all the good ones are taken![/QUOTE]

That's the beauty of this one Natalie, coz he's had this particular round for 5 years, he has contracts with a couple of local shops too, and some companies, so basically, it's all there, ready to take over - trouble is, it's £52K for the priveledge and I think that's a tad expensive even though he takes £2K a week! It'll all depend whether it's still up for sale when our sale has gone through really. I wouldn't want to start one up of my own anywhere coz I know how it works, having had a catering trailer, you don't step on anyone's toes! (I did once and got my trailer nicked and set fire to!!!! ) Mine was different though, I didn't do the street, I did all the horse shows, point to points in the south east, and Hickstead stablefield, so I was there by invitation, nothing sinister like the street pitches.

I really don't know Dave's still harping on about that garage in Devon with the bungalow, but the bloke never answers my e-mails or sends pics, almost as if he doesn't want to sell it, or maybe it's already sold, just don't know.

I'm bored with it all now until Dave decides whether or not he's sold his garage, because if he hasn't, then it's all change again, coz we will have to stay in this area for him to get to work, or at least Kent, but we can't move further.
hmm, yeh, its a tough one isnt it because you need to be looking into everything but at the same time, until you actually know how much is in the bank, where the garage stands etc......your limited.

I'm sure it will all work out great though. I think the 'not knowing' is the worst part of moving!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2011, 01:23 PM
If I was in for a move I would love to live in the Wharfedale area of North Yorkshire.
Anywhere from Skipton [a very nice major town] upwards to the pretty villages near the river Wharfe.
We love visiting for the lovely scenery and great walks.
Hope things work out for you and you find your dream home.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-10-2011, 09:36 PM
<why are houses so cheap in Yorkshire>

Cos its grim oooop north.
Page 8 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »