Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Why do I have so many clocks?

Our clocks go back tonight - 2am I think - but I have already started re-setting them and it is driving me nuts.

I mean why do I need to have the correct time on my microwave oven and my digital kitchen scales? They work perfectly well without the time being set.

Ditto the remote controls for the two little wall air-con units I have - they do not need to have the time set.

The time on my computer, the time on my satellite TV plus box, the times on my mobile phones [one is very ancient but still works, the newer one is also rather old but who cares] - they all automatically change to summer/winter time.

So why do I have two wall clocks in my salon, one of which is digital and is always on summer time as I do not know how to alter it, plus the music centre which does not work only I have a small turntable on top of it so can play ancient vinyl records through the speakers - I mean does it really matter if the time is set correctly?

Wall clock in the kitchen. Why? Alarm clock in the kitchen. Why? Clock/radio/telephone in my bedroom and yet another wall clock in there, plus another alarm clock. Why?

Oh, and I forgot the alarm clock sitting next to my computer. Why?

Do not ask about watches. I only ever wear one if I go off the Moshav and even then most of the time I forget. I have two battery watches and an ancient gold one [with gold bracelet] which is a wind-up one. A present from someone a very long time ago. Still keeps perfect time once wound up. I think. I have not worn it for years.

OK. So far today I have re-set the clocks in my bedroom and in the kitchen. Apart from the microwave. I am not going to re-set the times on either of the air-con remote controls. I have re-set one battery watch and the other one has stopped as it needs a new battery.

I hate clocks, so why is my home full of them?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Well I never knew that - that yours go back in israel about 5 weeks before ours do in Cyprus. They don't go back in Cyprus until near the end of Oct (same as UK)
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2012, 07:07 PM
lol, I don't envy you Malka! The only one I have to reset when the clocks go back is the one in kitchen, the rest all do it automatically
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Well I never knew that - that yours go back in israel about 5 weeks before ours do in Cyprus. They don't go back in Cyprus until near the end of Oct (same as UK)
Our clocks go back after Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, which was on Monday and Tuesday this week, and before Yom HaKippurim [The Day of Atonement] which is this coming Wednesday - starting at dusk on Tuesday evening. It depends on the calendar, and Israel goes by a lunar one not Gregorian as far as Holy Days go.

In order to keep the various Holy Days in accordance with the appropriate season, every so many years there is an extra month added.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...110&syear=2010

This shows the dates.

There is always a lot of disagreement regarding how early the clocks go back, but so far it stays between Rosh Hashana and Yom HaKippurim, whether the majority of people like it or not.

Before Pereg's horrible four days of almost non-stop major Grand Mal seizures last year, when she was on Phenobarbitone twice a day and had to have it almost on the dot, it caused a lot of problems when the clock changed. Since then her Pb was increased and she now has it three times a day, which gives me leeway plus or minus an hour or so, so I do not need to worry about her medication.

The problem is trying to convince her to have her mealtimes at the hours that suit me and not her, otherwise she would be demanding an extra meal each day!

I am not sure but I think I have this need for clocks everywhere just to make sure that she has her medication when it is due. I mean why else would I need to know the time?
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2012, 11:08 PM
The only clock I have in my home is on the cooker, and even that one isn't a the correct time Nor do I wear a watch. My mobile phone is my watch, living room clock, kitchen clock, bedroom clock and my alarm clock
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-09-2012, 06:05 AM

I forgot to change the time on the cordless telephones...
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2012, 06:38 AM
I love clocks and have them all over the place but for some reason hate watches and cannot bring myself to wear one! We have fairly frequent power cuts here - sometimes only for a second - but of course the clocks on the oven and microwave have to be reset. Occasionally there will then be another power cut half an hour later, at which point I give up.

The only 'clock' I can't work out how to change is on the speedometer on my bike, so for six months of the year it always shows the wrong time. To make it more
complicated for me to work out what time it is, the person in the bike shop must have set it in the afternoon at, say, two o'clock and displaying as two o'clock, but on a twenty four hour setting, so if I'm out on my bike at eleven in the morning the time showing will be twenty three hours. Or twenty two if the clocks have changed. Might be easier if I learned how to tell the time from the sun or something.

My cordless telephone is ever so clever and automatically changes the next time someone rings (but if you're a Billy No Mates and nobody rings you it won't change.)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I hate clocks, so why is my home full of them?
I can't answer that Malka but I can sympathise with your problem. Here in this house I think I've solved the problem (for me anyway) 'cos I have a wrist watch which luckily winds itself and that is it

The 'puter changes itself and everything else just stays set where it is, oh I just remembered I should reset the camper van clock but I'll only do that on my next trip.

Baruska is now on two tablets a day but that is morning and evening and the precise times are not required.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Our living room clock automatically corrects itself every night, saves a load of hassle. But I do dread putting the clocks back or forward cause my watch is such a pain in the butt to change. The phone doesn't do it automatically so I have to change it, my alarm needs changed too, but it's also 10 minutes fast - doesn't matter if I change it to the correct time, eventually it becomes 10 minutes fast whether I like it or not.

So yes, I feel your pain Malka but I don't have quite so many clocks