Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
What I look at is the cost of spares, replacement exhaust etc. Do you practically need to remove the engine to replace a bulb?

The other thing is I would never buy a car with those LED lights as you have to replace the whole unit instead of popping a bulb that costs a couple of quid and that will be expencive.

I know Land Rover are not the most reliable cars in the world but, the parts are cheap and they are easy to work on. Thats why my last 5 cars have been that make.

Fuel consumption and insurance are not always the best guide.

Have fun. x
Of course it is important to look at all aspects when buying a car, but my main point was 55mpg isn't all that impressive considering the extra costs involved with the battery maintenance and replacement when it comes to hybrids. Even more so when you can buy an eco diesel engine which will do only 4mpg less on very short, constant stop and start journeys......

Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Two of our friends have both had hybrid cars and both got rid of them within 6 months. I know they are meant to be 'green' but they are far from it as the cost of making the batteries and then disposing of them after is huge. My brother in law still drive a Prius and had no choice but to replace the batteries when they died. It cost him in excess of £3000 and that was when the car was 6 years old

You'd be far better off with a new diesel engine for mpg.
This was pretty much what the TopGear team said when it came to hybrids, I do think they're more of a gimmick than anything else.

Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Thanks everyone, I definitely won't be going with a hybrid now!
Aren't you glad you asked?! Get you're self a nice big 4x4 eco diesel - sorted!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I would'nt touch one and was trying very hard to find anything nice to say about an ugly car. When he said it did 55 mpg I said "is that all?" Mine does about 35mpg and it looks good. LOL

This is the woman who likes Ford Capri's and proper mini's. (Not the one's they do now.)

Cars in the 70's looked nice and you feel like you are driving it. Nowadays cars are to technical and you can't "feel" what they are doing (if you know what I mean)
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Of course it is important to look at all aspects when buying a car, but my main point was 55mpg isn't all that impressive considering the extra costs involved with the battery maintenance and replacement when it comes to hybrids. Even more so when you can buy an eco diesel engine which will do only 4mpg less on very short, constant stop and start journeys......

This was pretty much what the TopGear team said when it came to hybrids, I do think they're more of a gimmick than anything else.

Aren't you glad you asked?! Get you're self a nice big 4x4 eco diesel - sorted!
Hehe I definitely am glad I asked! Right go choose me a diesel 4x4 now!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Capri's were bloody deathtraps the number of times the back end flicked round when going round a roundabout.....well....I soon got rid of that, lovely to look at but an absolute nightmare to drive!!!!
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Capri's are bluddy good fun death traps. I've had 5 and you just go hell for leather at a roundabout and power slide it round. The trick is to upgrade the diff, brakes and suspension. Shoved a roll cage in the last one just to be on the safe side. LOVE EM.

My BMW fishtailed miles more than any Capri as I could'nt "feel" what the car was doing the same.

I don't like front wheel drive at all. Can't get on with it.

That Toyota's going on Saturday might get another Capri as a wee project.

Not that I'm a sad petrol head or anything.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I think having my baby son (now42) in the car with me started me being careful, you can't fit a roll cage in with a baby in a carrycot now can you (no child seats, seatbelts etc in those days.
Oh yes

YOU ARE A SAD PETROL HEAD
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Thank you Tawneywolf.

I'm single and selfish so, no kids for me. Would never have put the dog in a Capri. They were always the fun, 2nd car for playing in.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Oooh interesting thread.

I may be buying a vehicle soon... (my first *blush*). I have seen a small van for sale - of a model I would like to own - which is petrol/LPG, the LPG conversion is said to be by the best converters, can't remember name but begins with P. The owners say they get 100 miles on LPG for £10-£15.

Those of you with LPG experience, is this good or not? I
Like i said previously-i personally would opt for a diesel engined vehicle instead.LPG isnt reliable (our company fleet is 300+) and most have problems in one shape or form.You'll get much better mileage with diesel-my previous van used to do average of 30-35mpg while the LPG vehicle i have now does 21.3 which is a heck of a difference and this is being driven normally.Start nailing the throttle and it drops considerbly.

Servicing is a pain because not all garages can do LPG so you have to do some searching.

They do however have their advatantages.You dont have the familiar diesel rattle on tick over.The engines are usually silky smooth and although my company dont like us doing it-you can extend your driving miles by using the gas up first then switching to petrol (they want us to run on LPG all the time).

I'd still stick to diesel though.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I only know a couple of olk who had LPG and they had loads of problems getting the mix right. They too also gave up and went back to diesel.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Y'know I've not had any problems whatsoever and had mine a few months now. Mind you one of my sons sees to it for me, so if it went wrong it would be down to him!!!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >