Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Same here and if it cost twice the price I'd still be using it! I mix mine with frozen minced rabbit or cooked chicken, but I'm only concerned with what comes out the other end, not the price. I'd have to make sacrifices elsewhere before it affected my dogs I'm afraid. We've done the baked bean diet before now too, when the horse had the best food going!
I mix mince too at times....Have to say I much prefer picking up solid Poo's rather than slooooooopy
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Since one of ours has been diagnosed recently with allergies our bill has doubled, I have changed my shopping habits (eating cheaper foods myself) so he gets what he needs.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
no!!!! though it has gone up on Monday lucky Sandy (imopoter warned me so i got a bag on sunday!!!!)
Genesis suits my Boys 100%, i wouldnt change them!!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I change my dogs food routinely, but price has nothing to do with it. I try to buy quality food by the content rather than be governed by price. I still add all the extras too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
No cheaper dog food here, feeding a dog well is important to the health of a dog, to do anything other than this is false economy .

I am speaking as a widow on a very low income, I have returned to making my own bread, I also 'batch bake' so that the oven is not on unnecessarily and I make lots of soup which goes in the freezer. The heating is staying off and extra jumpers are going on but my dog will continue to eat well .
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Actually today I did buy some value food from the pet shop. They have had it before and actually do really well on it!
The only thing is I feel guilty about going in and buying it,lol!

Like others I like to rotate the food I use anyway, and have tried Arden Grange, James wellbeloved etc and dont see the difference in my dogs between that and cheaper brands like Chudleys, Chappie and this value Lamb and Rice one made by Burgess.

I do however often give Nature diet (quite expensive) and sometimes add stuff for variety.
But if money gets really tight I will have to cut the Nature diet or do it less often.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
When I started to really feel the pinch, I tried Chappie complete for the first time. It's much cheaper than anything I had fed before and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the dogs do on it. I have tried some supermarket's own brand pet food and find it rubbish - the difference is seen in their coats.

I have also found a much cheaper (free! lol) supply of raw from a new butcher. My old butcher charged for minced pet food and bones. Now I get raw food for free and mince the non-boney stuff myself.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
No I haven't changed food because of the credit crunch.
What suits my dog is what she gets (Burns and Wellbeloved) and that's that.
We only have one dog and she's small to medium, so no food would be that expensive for us to buy.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
for my cat, he has james well beloved mixed in with go-cat for indoor cats & some freebies i got sent in the post, wouldnt bother me using tescos own or other brands at all its got the same ingredients as felix/whiskas and its cheaper!

prob will buy that and mix it in to his other stuff like i did with Archie and his coat shined his tum was fine skin healthy and he always looked pure white everyone commented on him so i dont think i did a bad job!

my new pup will have the same james well and a few other mixes and prob some nibbles like chicken/tuna, worked out about £3/4 a week to feed Archie so i do not think i did to badly...not including treats though lol!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Mo has Butchers (flavours alternated) it's cheap compared to many but she gets on well with it and her coat and poo are fine
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »