View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 06:45 AM

Our first swim... and my first heart failure!!!!

Hi all,

What a week..... Just thought i'd tell you about our almost disaster!

At the start of the week we found a new field near to where we live. Its absolutely ideal for dog walking, quite a distance from the road and far enough from the houses to have the place to ourselves most of the time.

Ideal opportunity so we let the dogs off lead.... (muzzled of course)....

Well the first couple of evenings all went well, no problem at all...

Then they found the pool at the bottom of the hill. Phil was paddling, since our beach excursion he seems alot more interested in the water. Paris gets very excited when she's off lead so she ran up to him barking and trying to play bite him.... and completely disappeared under the water!!!!!

My heart was in my mouth for what seemed like an eternity then she reappeared and with some encouragement made her way back to shore doggy paddling.

There must be a sort of shelf because phil was standing up paddling and Paris was completely submerged not far from him. I was petrified watching her struggle back to shore.
She didnt seem hugely bothered! Got out, shook herself and started running round like a nutter again!

Has anyone else had this happen? I was sooo scared for that second she was under, poor babe, must have been such a shock to her.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Not surprised your heart was in your mouth there!!
When Blue swims his whole body is submerged and all i see is a pair of eyes bit like a hippo!!! Dont think greyhounds are born for the water!!!
Glad all turned out ok with yours. Do you think she was bothered?...she may have quite liked it!! You will soon find out when you back to the water!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Not surprised your heart was in your mouth there!!
When Blue swims his whole body is submerged and all i see is a pair of eyes bit like a hippo!!! Dont think greyhounds are born for the water!!!
Glad all turned out ok with yours. Do you think she was bothered?...she may have quite liked it!! You will soon find out when you back to the water!

Aww bless blue! Sounds soo cute. I'm not sure if Paris was hugely impressed, She usually avoids even puddles when we are walking let alone big ponds! She certainly didnt try to get back in. Phil on the other hand disappeared out of sight a few mins later and came back just as wet as paris so i think he must have had a go to!!

Just glad it was a lovely warm day, we were a long walk from home with 2 soaking wet doggies.

On the plus side though the field is giving us lots of opportunities to practice recall and Paris is getting better and better. Phil not soo good but a pocketfull of treats are certainly helping. Paris just wants to run as fast as she can but always runs back to us, never too far. Phil is too lazy to run but wanders off and has selective deafness...
Paris tries to herd him up to bring him back if he strays too far but he just ignores her too! Very funny to watch though!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Oh bless - poor girl must have freaked a bit....

x0x
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh bless - poor girl must have freaked a bit....

x0x

Not half as bad as her mummy did! I was a wreck all the way home!
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2009, 08:17 AM
It scares me to death when they run into the sea when we go to the beach.
They don't go too far but far enough for me to think about being swept out if the current is strong.
I yell and shout until they come out and OH gives me a hard time for flapping so much!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by pupsandpets View Post
It scares me to death when they run into the sea when we go to the beach.
They don't go too far but far enough for me to think about being swept out if the current is strong.
I yell and shout until they come out and OH gives me a hard time for flapping so much!
He he! Yes thats me too usually! This was such a shock for all of us. My OH had his coat off ready to jump in and save her which just made me panic even more that they both might get into difficulty, you hear such terrible things on the news. He says i'm a worry wart I'm just really very frightened of water generally.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I've had a couple of mine take a flying leap onto what they thought was grass when it was duckweed! Fortunately not too deep but it taught them a lesson that day!
Becky
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2009, 09:26 AM
No, never happened to me..I think my girl is allergic to water - she even walks around puddles

My heart would have done the same as yours, shot right into my mouth. Glad all was fine