Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:12 PM

omg i feel sick and im sooo annoyed

Ive just come back from a walk with pepsi and decided to do some heal work with her. Ive been told by our trainer that with a quick yank with the lead that she will eventually stop pulling. Well ive been doing this as well as walking the other way with her.

She seriously isnt getting it. Im totally at my wits end with her. So instead of letting her go and run on the field i walked around it 6 times until she stopped pulling. Im due to have physio on my shoulder as it used to get sore, but since ive had her she just pulls and pulls.

Anyways she finally walked properly and i let her off. My auntys dog came onto the field, they were playing, happy as larry on the field when it was pouring down. But then my auntys dog found something and started running around with it. We finally got him to drop it , when i went over to it i seen that it was the bottom half of a bird. Then pepsi ran over and picked it up, i asked her to drop it. Well she didnt. I couldnt even put my hand in her mouth to pick the bird out as it was physically making me sick, looking at its legs sticking out of her mouth. Well after trying to get her to let go she gulped it down i couldnt believe she disobayed me. Im soooo angry with her. I told her off, and smacked her bum. I dont think it was the whole eating of the bird that bothered me, its the fact that she didnt drop it. She has never done that before.

So now ive dried her off and she has been put on her bed for about 40mins. She has gone to sleep and ive just put a blanket over her as she is still a little wet. But im still mad as hell, and she is going to know it.

She def aint sleeping on my bed tonight. Or does anyone think thats a bit extreme lol. Seriously with that and all the pulling today she is doing my head in
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Ive just come back from a walk with pepsi and decided to do some heal work with her. Ive been told by our trainer that with a quick yank with the lead that she will eventually stop pulling. Well ive been doing this as well as walking the other way with her.

She seriously isnt getting it. Im totally at my wits end with her. So instead of letting her go and run on the field i walked around it 6 times until she stopped pulling. Im due to have physio on my shoulder as it used to get sore, but since ive had her she just pulls and pulls.

Anyways she finally walked properly and i let her off. My auntys dog came onto the field, they were playing, happy as larry on the field when it was pouring down. But then my auntys dog found something and started running around with it. We finally got him to drop it , when i went over to it i seen that it was the bottom half of a bird. Then pepsi ran over and picked it up, i asked her to drop it. Well she didnt. I couldnt even put my hand in her mouth to pick the bird out as it was physically making me sick, looking at its legs sticking out of her mouth. Well after trying to get her to let go she gulped it down i couldnt believe she disobayed me. Im soooo angry with her. I told her off, and smacked her bum. I dont think it was the whole eating of the bird that bothered me, its the fact that she didnt drop it. She has never done that before.

So now ive dried her off and she has been put on her bed for about 40mins. She has gone to sleep and ive just put a blanket over her as she is still a little wet. But im still mad as hell, and she is going to know it.

She def aint sleeping on my bed tonight. Or does anyone think thats a bit extreme lol. Seriously with that and all the pulling today she is doing my head in
well I dont think I would want her burping dead bird on me in the middle of the night either, but to be honest she has no concept that she is still annoying you with her bad behaviour earlier so there is little point in banning her from your bed or putting her in the norty corner as she simply wont understand or correllate what she is being punished for.

all you can do is work on her training with the leave/drop command for the future.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I think that is a little extreme (understandable), but still extreme. Have you ever thought about reading up on your breed and the characteristics of that particular breed. Dogs live in 'the now', a huff is a human thing - you'll only confuse your dog more. A good training class which also helps you learn about dog behaviour sounds like it wouldn't go amiss either. Sorry about the blunt reply, but you sound like you could do with some understanding of training and behaviour, and a good training club would be a good way to go. Taking your frustration out on the dog won't help jmo
kimmeh_121
Dogsey Junior
Female 

Have you ever concidered watching Cesar Millan??

He is a top dog trainer, Max use to be right little teraway, but with his methods hes pretty much a different dog, only issue i havn't managed to sort it is his asbo towards other dogs,

The thing with punishing ( i dont mean that in a mean way ) you're dog for long is that they would wonder what's going on as they only think about the present, not the past nor the future. But i would honestly recommend watching some episodes of his programmes or read one of his books. I hope this helps
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

ooooooooooo nasty yucky stinky dead birds - no kisses for Pepsi tonight! I remember when Tilly had one & wouldn't drop so I legged it in the opposite direction flinging my arms about like an idiot - she dropped it & followed me
Well done for 6 times round the field on lead though!!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:29 PM
yeah i know that the corner aint really for her, but she is totally doing my head in. I think ive totally lost my cool today. Im such a patient person and she has taken me past a point today. She does so well in all aspects of training and its the heal work that we have been working on for so long and she still aint getting it.

As for knowing the breed, yes i do know the breed, ive done a lot of research on it and she has never ate anything like that before. Its just the fact that the other dog had something in his mouth and she wanted it. It the game that they play.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Poor Pepsi, after doing so well, if one of mine were in that position they would do the same, if you swallow it you keep it! Yuk!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
ooooooooooo nasty yucky stinky dead birds - no kisses for Pepsi tonight! I remember when Tilly had one & wouldn't drop so I legged it in the opposite direction flinging my arms about like an idiot - she dropped it & followed me
Well done for 6 times round the field on lead though!!
pmsl i would have loved to see you do that. it would have been sooo funny haha. i should have done something like that
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I think you have over reacted with her to be honest, she is a dog after all, they live in the 'now' she is probably a confused girl at the moment as she would not connect the eating of the bird with time out, you being angry or sleeping on your bed if that is the norm for her. Sometimes dogs can do things that are disgusting to humans but we must remember they are animals.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Pharaoh used to be like that.. He'd catch a mixy bunny, or find half a rabbit on the field and then run around with it in his mouth and refuse to give it up. If I went to make him, he'd eat it rather than give up his prize YUK... It took me about 2 years of patient training to get him to bring me the dead animal and drop it! So long partly because Pharaoh is bless him not bright, partly because it was not a regular occurrence and there was nothing else he acted this way with and partly because he is not the least bit food motivated! There was nothing I could find in his word that had a higher value than that stinky rabbit...

Sorry to say but I'm afraid the only thing that worked for us in the end was making it a game.. If he brought me the bunny I would play tuggy with him with it and throw it for him... Thus making the bunny with me more fun than the bunny on his own.. Eventually I was able to just take the bunny away and throw a ball, but that took time... I got a very strong stomach over that time

Good luck with your training. Maybe if you work on holding and bringing you high value food, like sausages you might be able to replicate the situation at home so that you can work on it? As a gun dog, it should be in the breed to be able to hold something yummy and bring it to you without eating it.. I mean it's what they have to do on a shoot isn't it? Maybe gundog training would be good... You don't have to hunt to get enjoyment out of the training part!

Oh and you know you're going to forgive those big brown eyes and snuggle later!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »