Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 12:13 PM

Chinchilla`s

My OH wants a chinchilla but i was in the pet shop the other day and they had some in there and they absolutely stunk Can anyone tell me if they are smelly animals and any other info please ( do they live indoors or out). Sorry i know this sounds stupid but i havent got a clue when it comes to chinchilla`s
Thanks
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2006, 02:08 PM
looks like their cages have been dirty as chinchillas dont smell unles they are dirty of course. they are indoor animals but dont mind going out to have some fresh air sometimes
we had some chinchillas when i was little so i remember some things... but not complicated ones
i know that you have to be carefull what to feed them and they usually like to be petted
they need sand to dust themselves- it is the way how they clean themselves
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh !! Chibnchilla's are amazing pets ! I would ave to say go for it ! I am presently waiting for a breeding pair to give birth so I can get my next two !

As for being smelly, NO WAY ! 1 Mine never were. I would be more concerned about the pet shop not cleaning them out. In that respect they are the same as any other pet, without being cleaned they will smell, but a well kept cage/run will not.

I personally wouldn't keep them outside. They like the warms, so unless they are in a insultaed shed or something they should be kept indoors.

They are very active pets and like to jump, any cage you et is beter being tall as opposed to long or wide.

they have simple eating habbit, pellets from any pet shop and hay. They also take dust baths, of which can be aquired at any pet shop.

Chinchilla's are fantastic animals that will keep you laughing and smilling for all the years you have them. The above is obviously just a quick overview (and i'm in no way a professional on the subbject) but give you an idea. I would recommend going to a breeder though, instead of a pet shop, specially if the cage smells

Hope this helps, and lots of piccies if you do deide to go for it! !
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2006, 03:39 PM
hiya sara

as above dina seems to have given very good advice. My only concern is for Tia as my staffie bruno HATES small furries especially in cages and tortures my mother in laws budgie when he goes to stay running and lunging at the cage if given a chance so be careful of Tia terrorising chinchillas as they do like to run around and be active and she might like to chase !!

obviously you may already know she is ok with small furries but i could just see the fur flying in my house if I brought anything like that in a cage home !!!
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
hiya sara

as above dina seems to have given very good advice. My only concern is for Tia as my staffie bruno HATES small furries especially in cages and tortures my mother in laws budgie when he goes to stay running and lunging at the cage if given a chance so be careful of Tia terrorising chinchillas as they do like to run around and be active and she might like to chase !!

obviously you may already know she is ok with small furries but i could just see the fur flying in my house if I brought anything like that in a cage home !!!
i'd echo this, plus small rodents can die easily from stress.

mine are currently residing in an extra large dog crate that we adapted for them during the heat wave, but they will be going back into their normal enclosure next week. They dont smell if they are kept clean.
i researched these extensively, and have found lots of conflicting advice, so feel free to email me with questions.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks Brundog and Cumbrian Lass,
I hadnt even thought about what Tia would be like with small furries, how can i find out without scary the life out of some poor animal
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2006, 04:47 PM
mmnnnn

If she doesnt like squirrels when out walking and tries to chase them then I would say she wont like a chinchilla !!!

bruno would chase a squirrel up a tree if given a chance - HATES them !!!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Please don't forget as well that chinchillas can live 20 years +. they are not an easy animal to keep properly. My fiance has written a careguide about them but i can't find it at the moment. I can get him to post later if more info needed. Though they are not a pet for novices. and a lone chinchilla is a lonely chinchilla - they do need same sex company

xx