Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crystalsoul
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:42 AM

Normal behaviour?

Hi, Im new here and could do with some advice. We have an 8month staffy and have just brought home a new staffy pup.The older dog seems to really like her, tries to play but dont think he realises his size or strength, lol. The thing is he keeps trying to lick her genitals! Is this normal? I've heard that it's actually submissive behaviour but it doesnt seem that way as sometimes she'll run away from him but he continues. I'm thinking that he may like her a little too much and she's way too young for him to start being "overly affectionate". Anyone able to help me with this?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm assuming your 8mth boy isn't castrated? He will be approaching the age where testosterone is on the increase so that could be an explanation.
Remember this is how dogs communicate with each other, although he may be being a tad over zealous on this part, so I personally would monitor it as he is still a baby himself and it's all new and exciting for him as well. If it appears to be a bit excessive then just distract him with a toy or treat but it is probably just the newness of it all and things will calm down eventually.
Becky
crystalsoul
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Phew, that's a load off my mind, i was slightly worried that it could turn agressive, like if she told him off for it and he snapped back or something.
I'm hoping they'll become firm friends but she does seem to be getting annoyed and a little nervous of it.
Thanks for your help x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I would carefully monitor the situation, if she does snap don't wade in as he will learn that he has gone too far but I would recommend some time out for both of them and individual play time with you apart from each other for about 15 mins a day.
Becky
crystalsoul
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Will do, thanks the older dog gets taken out alone anyway cos pup's not had her jabs yet, and they'll both get individual training. I try not to leave them alone together but dont want to have to lock one of them in a room as i feel this isnt fair, unfortunately Dash jumps the stairgate so cant rely on that, lol!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Mine are all neutered/spayed and they all do it - my male in particular does it to my 18mth old female - in fact because she's tall she actually lifts one of her back legs so he can get in there easier!!

I used to monitor it carefully but it never ever became a problem so I just let them get on with it now!