View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Whats healthier, fresh or frozen veg
fresh 27 87.10%
frozen 4 12.90%
no idea 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:07 AM

veg - fresh or frozen?

can anyone please tell me what is healthier, fresh or frozen veg!

my bfs dad is adament that fresh veg isnt as good for u cos its sprayed with loads of chemicals to make it stay fresh longer, whereas frozen veg is frozen the same day.

i personally believe fresh veg is better, veg doesnt last long anyway, and is usually put in the supermarket the same day surely? Every chef i have spoken to says fresh is better.
I mean, it tastes better for a start! nothin beats fresh veg! frozen veg tastes horrible
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Well I for one think fresh is better. I do buy veg from the supermarket but if I can get to a small farmer's market I find the fresh veg from there is much tastier and goes off quicker, meaning it hasn't been sprayed with stuff....

Luckily there's a guy near my house who has a fruit & veg stall outside the tube station. His fruits are amazing, he told me he gets up at 3am to get the best fruit & veg from covent garden market
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:12 AM
I always buy fresh BUT I read somewhere it is only better if you know exactly where it came from as frozen is picked fresh and then frozen straight away whereas some fresh can be stored for days whilst in transit etc.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:13 AM
fresh to me tastes better....... we always have fresh but my friend up north has frozen veg with garlic butter !!!!!!!!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Deff fresh And it tastes better too
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Twice now I have picked up fresh from Tesco only to realise the very next day that the tomatoes at the bottom were hairy!!

I found a farm up the road that sells fresh veg & eggs so I think from now on I will be going there for my needs, it will be interesting to see how the prices compare.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:19 AM
thing is, even tho bfs dad says frozen is better for u cos it hasnt been sprayed, he doesnt seem too worried about whats in his meat? i mean, cows and stuff are injected with all sorts, so surely meat is jus as bad in that case! unless its organic, which he never buys
Charliefarley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I was watching something the other night and a nutricionist (sp)said that frozen veg doesn't retain all the vitamins etc so fresh is always better.Frozen is much more convenient though
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:29 AM
I am not sure but I will stick with fresh just because it is easier for me and I prefer the taste.

Not sure about the meat Jenny, all the meat I buy comes from our local family butcher I know which farm it comes from and am more than happy that it is "good" stuff.

Laura
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Frozen if it is frozen quickly retains more vitamins etc than fresh if the fresh is more than 6 hours old.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >