View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-02-2010, 11:59 AM
OK jiff we can agree pitbulls are dangerous.
do you believe they should be banned? please answer my question
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
the question was: "Are Pit bulls Dangerous."

Are you having trouble getting your head around the subject.

The answer is either yes or no in relation to the question asked.
The world is not black and white, Jiff. You seem to not understand "nuance" and that there are not always "correct" answers to a question. This question cannot be answered with a simple yes or no. Period. There's no way. Because no two animals are alike. Have I met a dangerous pit bull before? Yes. One. Who was neglected and let off leash to "guard" his property. However, he didn't attack myself nor my dog. I have no doubt the dog would have had we set foot on his property. But we crossed the road and he stayed put.

Have I met pit bulls who are friendly, both with dogs and people? Yes. Many. Just in the adjacent houses to me there are 4. All are great dogs.

My dog has been attacked by a few loose dogs. The worst was a chihuahua that I had to actually kick (lightly) to get away from my dog. The others were a cocker spaniel, a Springer spaniel, and a Shiba inu.

I've been bitten by two dogs. The first was a Pomeranian who bit me right on the face. I still have the scar. The second was the same Shiba inu that attacked my dog. It redirected onto me.

But you know what? I realize the world is not black and white. I don't think all cockers or chihuahuas or shiba inus are dangerous. Just the ones who attacked me and my dog.

I worry about people who see the world in black and white terms.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Some off topic posts have been removed, please stay on topic and read Posting Guideline number 5. Conduct in discussions/debates.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Jiff - I am more than happy to debate this issue on an open forum but I see little point in discussing it privately.

In answer to the question you posed in your message to me - the likelihood of competency testing being implemented depends on the foresight and wit of our legislators and it is these that fail to inspire confidence.
Jiff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Jiff - I am more than happy to debate this issue on an open forum but I see little point in discussing it privately.

In answer to the question you posed in your message to me - the likelihood of competency testing being implemented depends on the foresight and wit of our legislators and it is these that fail to inspire confidence.
Unfortunately John, I wouldn't discuss anything with you, private or otherwise. Your posted argument is just pretentious nonsense and only has merit at the very end.

The Pit Bulls biggest enemy is the person who controls the leads blunt end. That is where we are in agreement.
Jiff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
OK jiff we can agree pitbulls are dangerous.
do you believe they should be banned? please answer my question
If we are in agreement that Pit Bulls are dangerous, wouldn't it be foolhardy not to ban them.

My last comment on the subject.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

21-02-2010, 12:35 PM
The thread will miss your insightful contributions.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 02:03 PM
The funny thing about the replies to my statement that Pit Bulls are dangerous, not one person has stated they are not.

You gotta laugh at Pit Bull owners.
The thread was going before you started you know , people stated what they thought in their first post, same as I did below, why should people state it again for you?

Oh and the second point, I am not a PB owner, but would love to be a APBT owner if it were legal, they are great dogs.

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Where I stand on APBT's is that they can be the lovely dogs in the right homes, but we now adays we would probally never see a APBT in the uk, just pit types, which can still be lovely dogs, in the right home, which is just like any dog really, they just need a owner who understands and them, and doesn't hide from what they were bred for, which is DA, and the majority in the fighting ring would not be allowed to bite a person, if they were they would be disposed off, which is really sad, a few got through that did bite people though, but I would say that a bully breed would normally be one of the most friendly types of dogs to people around. And I will be honest, and say that if everything in the uk changed, I would go out and get a Pit bull, I'm a distant admirer to them.

And do I think that PB's are dangerous, no more so then any other type of dog, and also what do people mean when they are saying that a dog is dangerous, is it a dog that has the intent to harm, or is it a dog that has the power to harm? because I would class it as the first, and to me I see many dangerous dogs, but they don't always have the power to do any real damage, so they are allowed to get away with it, I also see many powerful dogs, but most of these just want a cuddle and a play.

How we percieve dangerous is in the eye of each person, and a dog has more of a chance of being 'dangerous' if it was brought up and not properly socailised, and not given the things that most pets are given without their owners even thinking about it, things like the basic needs of food, water, shelter, and excercise, and then if a dog is not given enough of these and it bites someone around food, or in barrier fustration because they come into their garden or the dog just escapes and is over welmed with everything whose fault is that really? I know who I would blame.

There are also people breeding aggression into certain lines and breeds, maybe not intentionally, but maybe they are, just like certain traits can be bred into dogs, I believe that so can things like aggression if the dam and sire are not of good temperment, which is why everyone knows everywhere that you should look at the temperment of the dam and sire before you take a puppy, but in the uk people who breed pit types have gone underground, they are not selecting animals that have a good temperment, they are there to make money, they know what sells, and unfornatly we know what the majority of people do buy these dogs for.

So no, I don't believe that Pit bulls are dangerous, but I know that people are, and instead of realising that many reflect the blame onto the dog.
My dear, the question was: "Are Pit bulls Dangerous."

Are you having trouble getting your head around the subject.

The answer is either yes or no in relation to the question asked.

Whether you believe or not, that greyhounds chase and kill smaller dog's is totally off topic to the question asked. I suggest you start the relevant thread.
The question is not broad enough, and whether you like it or not would be the same as saying that all Greyhounds can't live with cats, or that they would kill everything they say, its a general statement, what might apply for one dog of the breed wont apply to all.

The term 'dangerous', given the context of a breed-specific discussion on a dog owners' forum, can be taken as a relative term.

The full meaning of the question, had the writer thought it necessary to expand, is "Is it possible to make a reliable, generalised comment about the aggressive tendencies of the APBT and do those tendencies, if they exist, present a greater risk than other breeds and is that risk, if it exists, of such a magnitude that it is unacceptable in our society?"

The question does not ask about danger in absolute terms (such as whether a fatality has been caused) because it is patently obvious than any breed can present a danger in the right (or wrong) circumstance. By posing the question as breed specific one it asks a relative question. To take an absolute interpretation, universal to all dogs, and apply it to one specific breed is neither illuminating nor helpful.

In absolute terms of 'fatalities caused', all breeds and crosses are dangerous as are slippers, lawnmowers and balloons.

In relative terms of risk all breeds present a risk relative to their size, (heavier dog = greater risk), their temperament (aggresive/unstable dog = greater risk) and their owner (poor handling = greater risk). Of the three factors the last, the handler, is the most pivotal. We can see this by the facts that dogs which have been both small and non-aggressive have still killed when coupled with bad owners and that even large, aggresive dogs can be successfully and safely managed by highly skilled handlers.

When considering 'acceptable risk' it is clear that some dogs with some owners presents a totally unacceptable risk to society. The error is the notion that we can manage that risk by restricting the dogs to which this owner has access.

The key to reducing dog attacks is to target the principle agent - poor ownership. IMO only competency testing can achieve higher average standards.
Great post.

I gather from the irrelevancy's you keep posting on this forum, that you are of the opinion Pit Bulls are not dangerous in any way, shape or form.

However, I will be instigating a thread within the near future, to try and make sense of a modern day phenomena that is blighting our land. I.E. "Why are babies and small children committing suicide by recklessly throwing themselves into the jaws of the gentle, passive misunderstood Pit Bull.?
I think that everybody agrees that any dog can be dangerous if owned by the wrong owner, and no one will disagree with this.

I would also put on that thread about idiot owners who have gaurd dogs, or aggressive dogs, and leave them with a child, or any child being left with a dog, that might be in pain or ill, and then the shock for the parents when something happens.

Unfortunately John, I wouldn't discuss anything with you, private or otherwise. Your posted argument is just pretentious nonsense and only has merit at the very end.

The Pit Bulls biggest enemy is the person who controls the leads blunt end. That is where we are in agreement.
You are right on the second paragraph, but wrong on the first one, John posts great things, is it just that you can't argue with him that your not discussing things with him?

If we are in agreement that Pit Bulls are dangerous, wouldn't it be foolhardy not to ban them.

How many dangerous things are there that you meet on a day to day basis, and this is not just animals, but objects that could cause injury, wouldn't it be foolhardy not to ban them?

And what a shame.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 02:14 PM
The thread will miss your insightful contributions.
Hear! Hear! It would be a shame to lose out on these almost Aristotlean discourses.
C4L
New Member!
Male 

21-02-2010, 02:15 PM
The only yardstick a pit bull can be judged by are facts:

Have Pitbulls killed other dog's. Yes

Have Pitbulls killed babies, Yes

Have Pitbulls killed children, Yes

Have Pitbulls killed adults. Yes

Irrespective of who controls the other end of the lead, they are without a shadow of a doubt, a very dangerous dog.

To come to any other conclusion can only be from self denial. To use the argument that other dog's are dangerous too is irrelevant, the question asked was: "Are Pitbulls dangerous" the answer can only be yes.
bit harsh
Page 59 of 132 « First < 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 69 109 > Last »