Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akaimeridia
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2013, 05:44 PM

Friendly dog suddenly scared - HELP?

We have an 11 month old black lab mix named Buddy, the friendliest, sweetest dog who loves every person and dog on the planet. Our house has a glass sliding door that leads to the backyard, which we use to walk the dog. He always runs outside and loves to go out.

3 days ago, the pest control man came and did his thing, and showed up near the sliding back door to spray around it. Buddy was lying near the door, and FREAKED OUT when he saw the man with the spray-pole. He wet himself, ran into the other room, and started shaking. He's never been so terrified of anything in the 8 months that we've had him.

Now, he's scared to go near the back door, AND he's jumping at every little noise. We literally have to drag him outside to walk him (thankfully he doesn't pee in the house or anything). We are really nervous, as it's already been 3 days and he hasn't gotten over it. What can we do to help him??? He's never been scared of anything! Any help is appreciated! Thank you.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY
Oh dear,sounds like he got quite a fright
I guess its really all about trying to rebuild his confidence.I wouldn't force him,just needs to take it slowly and in his own time. Can you maybe leave the back door open and stay out there for a while.Think the curiosity might get the better of him and he'll follow when he's ready lots of praise if he does
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Hello Akaimeridia welcome.

I would do my best to convey to Buddy that this door is not scary, nothing will harm him when he goes near it .
This will take time and patience and try not to push Buddy into doing something he is not comfortable with.

What is his favourite food, chicken/sausage/cheese?
I would lay a trail of tiny pieces up to the door (and out into the yard if it is secure) then ignore them and leave him to eat them at his leisure. If he eats them repeat at regular intervals.

Does he have a favorite toy, I would play with him some distance from the door . If he is comfortable with this I would move gradually nearer to the door but never out of his comfort zone. If Buddy is scared take a step back.

Don't expect instant success, it will take time for Buddy to regain his confidence.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Excellent advice from Meg. It's not as if this is some place you can 'avoid' with him. It's in your house!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Stan Rawlinson has written a good article in "critical periods" in your dogs life

Your dog is at the age of a know"fear"period in dogs