Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Absolutely!!!!!! I must admit, I'm on the fence about coat testing. On the one hand, if an exhibitor can make their dog look better with a quick spray on the topknot, I don't see the problem, I just wouldn't like to see them how they are groomed in America and Europe. Incidentally, I don't use products on Rio's coat but I do use supplements to enhance it - would people say this is wrong too?
But then the people in America will be using just the same argument, what for some is just a bit of prep for a show for another is overgrooming
I totaly agree I could see the differences with the Westminster and the Crufts dogs and tbh most of the crufts dogs didnt look too overpresented - but at the end of the day if a little prep gives you and edge - wont people start doing a little more so they get more of an edge - and then eventualy we will be following America?

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm not saying they're fooled by a haircut, but trimming away the coat to enhance the dog to me is just as bad at adding products to the coat to enhance the dog. Like I've said, excessive presentation/trimming/stripping in breeds that are meant to be current working breeds will end up with the coat changing in order to increase flashiness and therefore their chances of winning in the ring - this to me is wrong as the dog is no longer judged against the breed standard. ESS should have moderate feathering, yet until recently the fashion was for glamour and as a result the coat became ridiculous. Thankfully this is now being dealt with - the winner of Crufts was a brilliant example of a breed standard ESS.

Yes I was impressed with that dog in many ways - not least because the coat looked nice - not OTT

Also lets not turn this into yet another show/working debate - working breeders in gundogs have just as much to answer for as the show breeders, just for different reasons.
Totaly agree, wasnt doing that, just talking about showing

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
But dancing with your dog doesn't alter it's breed in the long run does it? My problem with excessive grooming is that historically it has shown that the breeds move away from the breed standard in an effort to produce big coats to increase the chances of winnig, which for working breeds is detrimental!

I was also under the impression that the "detractors" were from within the side of the show fraternity who have had enough of people trying to circumvent the rules, as opposed to people outside of the show world?!
Thankyou saved me from trying to say it in about 3 pages of waffle
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:09 AM
But dancing with your dog doesn't alter it's breed in the long run does it? My problem with excessive grooming is that historically it has shown that the breeds move away from the breed standard in an effort to produce big coats to increase the chances of winnig, which for working breeds is detrimental!
putting talc, hairspray or conditioner on a dogs coat has no effect on what it can produce genetically - that has to be bred for -
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:26 AM
As a very average dancing with dogs handler I am interested to know how I increase 'flashiness' ----please!

Had stayed out of this up till now but quite honestly as two people have now described the showing as a beauty pageant then if that is what it is I can't see that it matters what the dogs are shown with on their coats or how they are plucked, cut or anything else.

OTOH if it is meant to be a true representation of what pups produced by the dogs might look like and how much the dogs represent the breed standard then they should be shown as they were born.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As a very average dancing with dogs handler I am interested to know how I increase 'flashiness' ----please!
Well I havent seen any handlers dressed "normally" Even their poor dogs are forced to wear "costumes" sometimes, isnt that for visual impact?

Had stayed out of this up till now but quite honestly as two people have now described the showing as a beauty pageant then if that is what it is I can't see that it matters what the dogs are shown with on their coats or how they are plucked, cut or anything else.
The KC rules state nothing to alter colour or coat texture.

OTOH if it is meant to be a true representation of what pups produced by the dogs might look like and how much the dogs represent the breed standard then they should be shown as they were born.

rune
Again, you will need to read respective breed standards to ascertain what breeds "should" look like. Of course the standards describe an adult dog not a puppy. Do you think those that require stripping and removal of any coat they may be shed but needs removing by its owner, should be showed "au natural?" You know, like how they were born?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 07:46 AM
For your future information dogs in HTM are not allowed to wear costumes.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:25 AM
For your future information dogs in HTM are not allowed to wear costumes.

rune
Well its certainly been "noted" hasnt it? Like pretty wrist bands etc? Or is that just "freestyle" and you are saying there is a difference?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Dogs doing HTM---which includes freestyle are not allowed anything other than decorated collars.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Dogs doing HTM---which includes freestyle are not allowed anything other than decorated collars.

rune
Oh decroated collars? Why would they decorate them Lynne? make them look "pretty" perhaps? Visual enhancement?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Oh decroated collars? Why would they decorate them Lynne? make them look "pretty" perhaps? Visual enhancement?
Well they'd look pretty silly with a christmas type collar on when doing a pirates routine---so it is to link with the music.

Most people don't bother and just wear everyday collars or go without.

I wasn't aware that anyone had suggested show dogs collars didn't enhance the look of the dog----but how on earth that equates with pulling hair out of a dog or shaving its hair off I don't know.

I am so glad I wasn't disappointed in this thread

I am out of it now---you show crowd can argue amongst yourselves about the beauty pageants rules.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Well they'd look pretty silly with a christmas type collar on when doing a pirates routine---so it is to link with the music.

Most people don't bother and just wear everyday collars or go without.

I wasn't aware that anyone had suggested show dogs collars didn't enhance the look of the dog----but how on earth that equates with pulling hair out of a dog or shaving its hair off I don't know.I am so glad I wasn't disappointed in this thread

I am out of it now---you show crowd can argue amongst yourselves about the beauty pageants rules.

rune
Two words .......Richard Curtis!
Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 >